How to install Parallels Tools in a virtual Precise Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Any Puppy can be installed as a full install.

Again Puppy is designed to work best as a frugal install.
Do not get hung up about the name frugal.
It is a complete Puppy install.
The name frugal is about how little it takes over the hard drive partition. How little space it uses.
All of Puppy is placed into a directory(Linux name for folder).
Again some features of Puppy only work when Puppy is a frugal install.

Really need to try a Puppy frugal install.
Get away from thinking how other Linux OS's install and work.

Kind of getting away from your original problem.
I guess installing the devx.sfs package did not help you?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

genius7

#17 Post by genius7 »

I don't know how install the devx.sfs because when I double click the downloaded file it says it is installed and prompts me to uninstall it if I proceed by clicking OK.
Anyway, I want to have Puppy Linux as a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop virtualization software on my Mac OS. I opted for full install because I just wanted to quickly run and shutdown Puppy without needing to clumsily save the sessions. However, Parallels Tools need to be installed on Puppy Linux (my original problem) so that I could comfortably use Puppy inside my Mac OS.
What do you recommend then?

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

I don't know how install the devx.sfs because when I double click the downloaded file it says it is installed and prompts me to uninstall it if I proceed by clicking OK.
If it gives this message the devx.sfs probably did get installed.
You did say you see Python2.7 installed.
That is in the devx.sfs.

I guess that did not give you what you needed.

I Know nothing about using Parallels Desktop virtualization software on Mac OS.
Can not help you with that.

From your first post. It looks like it is trying to compile the tools for Precise 5.7.1

Try also installing the kernel sources.sfs package.
You can get it from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... s-precise/
There are several kernel sources sfs packages, because several different kernels where used in Precise 5.7.1
You have to use the correct one for the kernel being used.

Type this in a console to see what kernel is being used.

Code: Select all

uname -r
Example:
If the kernel is 3.2.29
Download and install this kernel_src-3.2.29-patched.sfs
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

genius7

#19 Post by genius7 »

I did what you suggested (my kernel is 3.9.11), installed the corresponding package but I'm still encountering the same errors as in my first post. I still have yet to try the symlinking usr/src to usr/include though.

perdido

#20 Post by perdido »

genius7 wrote: I still have yet to try the symlinking usr/src to usr/include though.

That is difficult to do if both the devx (devx_precise_5.7.sfs) and kernel sources (kernel_src-3.9.11-patched.sfs) are installed.
The Kernel Sources installs stuff to /usr/src/ so you can't make the /usr/src symlink because /usr/src/ is being used as a real directory.

Suggestion #1
If you uninstall kernel source then you could try a symlink with just the devx installed and see if it compiles/installs.

SUGGESTION #2
If you end up needing both the devx and kernel sources installed, you can just copy all the files/directories from /usr/include/ to /usr/src/ except for
the contents of the /usr/include/linux/ directory . The contents of the /usr/include/linux/ directory would need to be copied to the /usr/src/linux-3.9.11/ directory
because /usr/src/linux already exists as a sym-link to /usr/src/linux-3.9.11/

If using both the devx and kernel sources you will not need a symlink after copying the files over to /usr/src/

Also do not move the files or delete the files in the/usr/include/ directory if you go this route, just copy them over. The originals should still be available
in the original location so nothing gets broken.

Trying not to be confusing, This is all to accomodate the install script by putting stuff where the script expects it to be.

genius7

#21 Post by genius7 »

Thank you everyone for your advice and time but I have decided that I'm not going to mess around with that anymore partly because I have other computing emergencies that need my attention right now. I'm shelving Puppy.