(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 16 Jan 2021, 04:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
FrugalPup 20 - Puppy frugal installer.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 10 of 13 [181 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
3guesses

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan 2020, 14:48    Post subject:  

Just FYI, I used Frugal Pup v13 in an attempt to be able to boot a frugal install of Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 in a dedicated partition on the internal eMMC of an Asus T100TA - and it completely trashed the machine. You can see further details on this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php. It has taken a day for me to repair the damage.

Given my experience and the damage this package can do, my personal opinion is that Frugal Pup is too dangerous to be publicly available without considerable re-coding to incorporate extensive error-checking, warnings, logging of actions performed, etc, etc.

Yes, I am not best pleased,
gyro

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 03:07    Post subject: Warning Warning Warning  

Warning Warning Warning

"3guesses" has discovered, the hard way, an important issue with FrugalPup.
It completely clobbers any pre-existing bootloader stuff on the fat32 partition that it installs 'grub2' to.
This is a problem in a dual boot situation, if you choose to install 'grub2' to the fat32 parition that contains the uefi Windows boot.
This is not a problem if you choose a boot device, other than the Windows boot device.

A fixed version of FrugalPup will be available soon.

gyro
foxpup

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 05:34    Post subject: Re: Warning Warning Warning  

gyro wrote:
It completely clobbers any pre-existing bootloader stuff on the fat32 partition that it installs 'grub2' to.
I had seen it some time ago.
I did not bother though, since Windows especially, on its updates, and other OS as well I presume, tend to put their own boot installation on top, messing up others.
Accepted bad behaviour Evil or Very Mad

Most OS put their bootloader in its own spot /EFI/boot/OperSys together with their config, without changing anything else in /EFI/boot.
So they do not destroy all other boot installations.

There is complication that installs that are not Secure Boot may not show up in EFI BIOS.
Even the fallback spot will not show up if there is windows or another Secure Boot in the same partition and the fallback spot is not SB!
That happens on my Lenovo Ideapad 510
Code:
BIOS Vendor: LENOVO
Version: 0XCN36WW
Release Date: 08/30/2016

So most OS will 'register' their bootloader in /EFI/boot/OperSys with EFI BIOS.
One can do that with 'efibootmgr'.
But this is not in all Puppys that support EFI boot.
And it will not even run in all, because of missing efivariables support in the kernel.

Most OS will put their own bootloader (or similar: shim, fallback, refind...) on the 'fallback' spot /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi.
I personally do not care much about the fallback spot.

There is also a precaution I take:
copy content of all ESP boot partition before changing (messing with) them.
gyro

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 08:33    Post subject:  

@foxpup,
I think for now, I'll stick with using an alternate boot medium, and leave the Windows one to Windows.
I'll just make sure it's a lot more obvious in FrugalPup, if folk are choosing to clobber a Windows uefi boot.

gyro
gyro

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 08:43    Post subject:  

Thers is another issue with FrugalPup v17 (and earlier), it does not contain support for 32bit efi, i.e. there is no '/EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi'.

I have discovered that this is the reason that my "Lenovo ideapad 100S-11IBY" has failed to recognise any of my "uefi" usb sticks until now, even though I had "SecureBoot" disabled.

This will be fixed in the next release.

gyro
foxpup

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 09:04    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
@foxpup,
I think for now, I'll stick with using an alternate boot medium, and leave the Windows one to Windows.
I'll just make sure it's a lot more obvious in FrugalPup, if folk are choosing to clobber a Windows uefi boot.

gyro
You are the nicest guy in the house. Smile
Just make sure you do not overwrite /EFI/ completely. Only add (or overwite in /EFI/boot ) inside /EFI/.
You may mess up the boot of another OS a bit, but this way you will probably not wipe out the boot installation alltogether.

You can also add an entry to your grub.cfg to chainload windows, like Grub4dos does whether windows is there or not.
Code:
menuentry '<w> WINDOZE' --class os_win --id='windows' --hotkey='z'{
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod fat
        insmod ntfs
   insmod chain
   search --file --set root --no-floppy /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
   chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

This is what I use.
(For the hotkey: I have azerty, so hitting 'w' produces 'z'. Smile

Another one to add:
Code:
menuentry "EFI Firmware configuration interface (BIOS)" --class func_firmware {fwsetup}
gyro

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 22:17    Post subject:  

I'm changing FrugalPup to "tar xf --overwrite" the boot stuff,
and adding red warning messages in FrugalPup and DiskPup about boot files being overwritten.

My Windows grub2 entry looks like:
Code:
if [ $grub_platform = 'efi' ]; then
    menuentry "Windows 10" {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set  D123-A456
        chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
fi
Where 'D123-A456' is replaced with the real uuid of the Windows fat32 uefi boot partition.

gyro
gyro

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 22:50    Post subject: test FrugalPup uefi compatibility with ".zip"  

test FrugalPup uefi compatibility with ".zip"

I have uploaded 'test-efi-no-sec-17.zip' (1.1MiB) and 'test-efi-no-sec-18.zip' (2.1MiB) to http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup.

Each is meant to be unzipped to the root of an empty usb stick. They expand to less than 10MiB.
Then attempt to uefi boot the usb stick using the bios boot menu.
If it boots to a yellow on blue grub2 menu, then FrugalPup should be able to install Puppies that will uefi boot on your machine.
If it is available, but booting it fails authentication, then "SecureBoot" is still enabled. But FrugalPup installs should uefi boot on your machine, if you disable "SecureBoot".
If the usb stick does not appear in the bios boot menu, then there is no chance that FrugalPup installs will uefi boot on your machine.

'test-efi-no-sec-17.zip' does not contain 32bit uefi support, and so represents the capability of current FrugalPup's.

'test-efi-no-sec-18.zip' contains the 32bit uefi support, that will be included in the next release of FrugalPup.

My "Lenovo ideapad 100S", with "SecureBoot" disabled, boots a 'test-efi-no-sec-18.zip' stick, but fails to recognise a 'test-efi-no-sec-17.zip' stick.
But my desktop machine will boot both.

gyro
gyro

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 08:55    Post subject: FrugalPup 18, DiskPup 18, StickPup 18 and f2StickPup 18  

FrugalPup 18, DiskPup 18, StickPup 18 and f2StickPup 18 - Puppy frugal installers.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_18.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.6 MiB).

This is another bugfix release.

Bug:
FrugalPup and DiskPup delete all files in '/boot' and '/EFI' on fat32 boot partition.

Fix:
All installers in the FrugalPup group, now only overwrite individual files.
So, any files with non-matching names will be retained.
e.g. any files in '/EFI/Microsoft' will be retained.
Also, both FrugalPup and DiskPup contain warning messages about the overwriting.

Bug:
FrugalPup did not contain any support for 'bootia32.efi' (32bit).
FrugalPup installs did not work on uefi computers that looked for '/EFI/boot/bootia32.efi'.

Fix:
Support for 'bootia32.efi' is now included in all FrugalPup installers.

gyro
gyro

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2020, 01:18    Post subject:  

Thanks to "jamesbond", I now have an efi boot solution that should work in most situations.
It supports both 32bit and 64bit efi.
It supports "SecureBoot" enabled, provided the "Puppy_key.cer" is enrolled as a MOK.
Of course it also works with "SecureBoot" disabled.

Now I have to fix FrugalPup to do installs that include this new efi stuff.

The next version will also, in a non-uefi boot, chainload grub2 from grub4dos. (The grub4dos mbr installer is much much easier to use than the grub2 one.).
Thanks to "foxpup" for this suggestion.

There are a couple of features I'm considering, that probably won't make it into the next version, but maybe the one after that.

1. Add a new facility to FrugalPup called "Grub2" that installs Grub2 to a selected fat32 partition.
And change the "Boot" facility so that it no longer installs Grub2, just creates/updates the 'grub.cfg' file.

2. Provide a facility to update the 'grub.cfg' file with an appropriate "Windows" boot entry.

gyro
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2020, 06:34    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
Thanks to "jamesbond", I now have an efi boot solution that should work in most situations.

You're welcome.

Quote:
The next version will also, in a non-uefi boot, chainload grub2 from grub4dos. (The grub4dos mbr installer is much much easier to use than the grub2 one.).
Thanks to "foxpup" for this suggestion.

This is actually a brilliant idea. I tested this and it worked very well.

Grub4dos is easy to use, but it is an ageing software: even when using the latest version of grub4dos 0.4.6 from Dec 2019, loading a 78MB initrd from an ext4 partition from qemu (whose disk is a RAM disk!) takes a solid 30 seconds. If you use grub4dos, don't use ext4, use ext3 and don't use large partition (16GB is about the max). Grub2 (chainloaded from grub4dos) on the other hand has none of this problem - it loads the same initrd in less than 2 seconds.

gyro

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2020, 07:46    Post subject:  

FrugalPup 18sb, DiskPup 18sb, StickPup 18sb and f2StickPup 18sb - Puppy frugal installer.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_18sb.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.9 MiB).

This is a test release.
It includes the latest "jamesbond" support for uefi with SecureBoot,
this includes support for computers that require 32bit uefi,
and a Puppy MOK in the file 'puppy_key.cer'.

When doing a uefi boot of an install by this FrugalPup,
for the first time on a particular computer with "SecureBoot" enabled,
MOK processing will be entered, simply "enroll" the key stored in the file '/puppy_key.cer'.
Subsequent boots on the same computer, should proceed directly to the Grub2 menu.

Of course you can avoid the MOK processing, by disabling "SecureBoot".

This FrugalPup still supports non-uefi booting with Grub2, so the same 'grub.cfg' is used for all booting.
Only it now chainloads Grub2 from grub4dos, hence the presence of '/grldr' and '/menu.lst'.

Note on MOK processing:
It seems that the partition selection screen is a little more user friently if the fat32 boot partition has a label.

MOK: Machine Owner Key

gyro
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2020, 20:59    Post subject:  

FrugalPup 18sb

did an install of Bionicpup64 8.0 to a USB flash drive.
Drive partitioned with two partitions.
small fat32 first partition
ext3 2nd partition.

Installed Bionicpup to 2nd partition and boot stuff to first partition.
Installed uefi boot.

First boot on a computer with secure boot enabled.
Did as you say
Quote:
MOK processing will be entered, simply "enroll" the key stored in the file '/puppy_key.cer'.

It booted, with no problems, with secure boot enabled.

Excellent!
Thanks for getting this secure boot enabled working!!

Only problems.

When doing the MOK processing.
The selection screens are a little confusing as to what do you actually highlight and use.
There is more than one screen that pops up with selections.

Tried different boot selection.
Selected boot type:
both.
Got this error. (see image)
capture373.png
 Description   
 Filesize   7.25 KB
 Viewed   219 Time(s)

capture373.png

gyro

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2020, 06:33    Post subject:  

@bigpup,
Thanks for testing.

Yes, the MOK screens need documentation. but since we are not the only folk who use MOK manager, I'm hoping to find some on the web before the release of FrugalPup v19.

Error message:
It means exactly what it says, the script '/usr/local/frugalpup /frugalpup-dobootpart' failed because it could not find the named directory.
The named directory looks quite odd, as though the script got a little confused. The question is, why did it try to use that name?
Unfortunately I would need to know the full set of imputs used to get to that result, in order to have any chance reproducing it.

gyro
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2020, 07:50    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
Yes, the MOK screens need documentation. but since we are not the only folk who use MOK manager, I'm hoping to find some on the web before the release of FrugalPup v19.
You can find one here. The location of the key is a bit different, but everything else should more or less work the same way. Feel free to modify as needed (edit the image with mtpaint/gimp if you like Laughing)
Page 10 of 13 [181 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: