FrugalPup 20 - Puppy frugal installer.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
s243a

#161 Post by s243a »

gyro wrote:.

2. Non-uefi boots now use grub4dos to chainload Grub2, rather than directly booting Grub2.
Installing the mbr for grub4dos is a lot simpler than installing the mbr for Grub2.
I like that idea :) I'm going to have to look to see how you did it.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

gyro

#162 Post by gyro »

s243a wrote:
gyro wrote:2. Non-uefi boots now use grub4dos to chainload Grub2, rather than directly booting Grub2.
Installing the mbr for grub4dos is a lot simpler than installing the mbr for Grub2.
I like that idea :) I'm going to have to look to see how you did it.
This is the 'menu.lst':

Code: Select all

timeout 0
default 0

title grub2
  kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
gyro

bigpup

#163 Post by bigpup »

Tried using f2StickPup 19
It seems to have done everything OK.
Made a bootable install of Bionicpup64 8.0 to a USB flash drive.
sda1 small 100mb partition with boot files on it.
sda2 f2fs partition with Bionicpup64 8.0 frugal install.

Boots OK with secure boot enabled.
Did not have to do any MOK manager stuff, but I had already done that with another install.
So, probably is already setup in computer, to just look for the Puppy MOK.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#164 Post by bigpup »

In the FrugalPup help. (index.html)

I suggest you make this change to the information on;

<b>DiskPup</b><br />
Does no partitioning or formating; The drive will need to already be partitioned and formatted. <br />
Best to have minimum of two partitions. First partition; a 100mb size, formatted fat32 (boot partition).<br />
One or more other partition(s), any format (ext 3 or 4 recommended), and minimum several GB in size (install location).<br />
Installs a single Puppy linux in a specified directory, and the boot loader (Grub2) in a specified fat32 partition.<br />
The Puppy linux directory can be on the same partition as the boot loader (if there is enough free space), or on a different partition.</p>
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#165 Post by gyro »

@bigpup,
Thanks for testing, and your suggestion.
I have accepted lines 1, 4, and 5.

The modified entry, that will appear in the next version, follows:

<b>DiskPup</b><br />
Does no partitioning or formating; The drive will need to already be partitioned and formatted. <br />
Installs a single Puppy linux in a specified directory, and the boot loader (Grub2) in a specified fat32 partition.<br />
The Puppy linux directory can be on the same partition as the boot loader, or on a different partition.</p>

My rationale for not using lines 2, and 3, is that I want this stuff to focus on simply, what the utility does.

One day I might write some "How To" stuff, that includes recommendations.

gyro

gyro

#166 Post by gyro »

FrugalPup 20, DiskPup 20, StickPup 20 and f2StickPup 20 - Puppy frugal installer.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_20.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.9 MiB).

This release contains a feature and a bug-fix.

Feature:
If Puppy install directory is on an 'f2fs' partition, pupmode=12 will be used rather than pupmode=13.
'bootentry' always uses "pmedia=???hd" for 'f2fs' partitions.

Bug:
'f2StickPup' frequently fails to format 'f2fs' partition, fixed.

gyro

01micko

#167 Post by 01micko »

Tested out stickpup and f2stickpup and both seem to work fine in a dev version of slacko I built.

At first they wouldn't boot so I tried to do a debugsave and kept getting errors which was a bit perplexing. It turns out that there is a bug in that script that fails to save the variable $mount_point so the files were copied to '/' which I manually copied over to a drive. That allowed me to debug my issue.. simply unplugging my powered usb hdd fixed that, but I dare say wait4usb needs some attention as I could proceed with boot to functional desktop running ./init manually.

I fixed the debugsave file in woof. See commit 01bae0f so an indirect thanks must go to you for that fix! Thanks :P
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gyro

#168 Post by gyro »

01micko wrote:Tested out stickpup and f2stickpup and both seem to work fine in a dev version of slacko I built.

At first they wouldn't boot so I tried to do a debugsave and kept getting errors which was a bit perplexing. It turns out that there is a bug in that script that fails to save the variable $mount_point so the files were copied to '/' which I manually copied over to a drive. That allowed me to debug my issue.. simply unplugging my powered usb hdd fixed that, but I dare say wait4usb needs some attention as I could proceed with boot to functional desktop running ./init manually.

I fixed the debugsave file in woof. See commit 01bae0f so an indirect thanks must go to you for that fix! Thanks :P
You're welcome.
Thanks for testing.

Actually I should thank you for FrugalPup.
It was as I was playing with your 'install2usb' that I conceived 'FrugalPup'.

gyro

gyro

Help pages now on web.

#169 Post by gyro »

I have uploaded "FrugalPup" help pages to http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html.
"MOK manager" help page can be viewed at http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... p-mok.html.

gyro

01micko

Re: Help pages now on web.

#170 Post by 01micko »

gyro wrote:I have uploaded "FrugalPup" help pages to http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html.
"MOK manager" help page can be viewed at http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... p-mok.html.

gyro
I created a wikka entry for FrugalPup with a very brief explanation and links to your index page and the first page of this thread. Let me know if want anything in that wikka page changed.

gyro

Re: Help pages now on web.

#171 Post by gyro »

01micko wrote:I created a wikka entry for FrugalPup with a very brief explanation and links to your index page and the first page of this thread. Let me know if want anything in that wikka page changed.
I can live with it.
But I was initially confused by apparent links to the various utilities, e.g. "StickPup", before I found the useful links towards the bottom of the entry.

gyro

bigpup

#172 Post by bigpup »

gyro,

Several of us have been converting Chromebooks to Puppy only laptops.
Having to replace the Chromebooks firmware(bios) with a full replacement firmware(bios) that will only boot UEFI boot loaders.

We have been using Frugalpup Installer to get a working UEFI boot loader installed.

If you want to see what we did.
Checkout the last few pages of this topic.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108246
How to use and put Puppy on a Chromebook.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#173 Post by gyro »

bigpup,
Glad you find it userful.
gyro

bigpup

#174 Post by bigpup »

gyro,

We have been helping this person setup a boot-able Puppy Linux USB stick that can run the needed Linux programs.
I am part of a team (20 people as I write -the test/sample bunch- but will become larger if I am successful) of engineers dealing with commissioning and service various systems in the maritime industry. Our company (a big one) manufactures and deilvers all sorts of marine equipment: propulsion, prime movers, generators, switchboards, towing systems, steering machinery, etc. etc.

Together with that kind of hardware we also deliver their relative control systems, nowadays tipically networks of controllers.

The company gives us laptops (state of the art ones actually) as a part of our tools and paraphernalia. On these computre we quite a chunk of SW (proprietary and not) developed originally in Windows environments.

Beside the dedicated SW tools to deal with our "actual" job (we are field engineers after all) we also have the bureucratic crap that the company considers mandatory (backoffice stuff, all rigorously windows based... no sh**t!!). And since nowadays everybody is paranoid, all our laptops HDs are ecnrypted and we are not allowed to have a separate partition with, say... linux for instance.

As it comes, all our new generations of controllers are running on linux (no sh**t... again...), so we found ourselves in a bit of a quandary
I told him about Frugalpup Installer, to make a boot-able USB stick, to run on their UEFI Windows 10 laptops.

You can read about the progress here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 79#1058579

He is using Bionicpup64 8.0 and had to deal with the Frugalpup v11 to v20 issue.
Seemed to have trouble with your work around procedure.
But did get it, by making a pet of Frugalpup v20 and installing it.

Can you believe this.
A major maritime co, using Puppy Linux to work on their systems! :D
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#175 Post by gyro »

@bigpup,
Very encouraging.

It looks like FrugalPup v20 is now included in the bionicpup64 updates.

gyro

01micko

#176 Post by 01micko »

Hello gyro

I've done some good testing on frugalpup and f2stickpup and it has never let me down on various systems, including my dell laptop with secure boot enabled and my main desktop which is linux only and multi-boot but GPT formatted.

If I may, I would like to make a suggestion concerning f2stickpup and multiboot support. What if by default, or as an option, the 'puppy' files were installed 2 dirs deep? Without much modification, I'm sure then the 'boot' facility could easily detect whatever pups are installed and modify the appropriate boot files accordingly.

Thoughts?

gyro

#177 Post by gyro »

01micko wrote:If I may, I would like to make a suggestion concerning f2stickpup and multiboot support. What if by default, or as an option, the 'puppy' files were installed 2 dirs deep? Without much modification, I'm sure then the 'boot' facility could easily detect whatever pups are installed and modify the appropriate boot files accordingly.
Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are getting at.
But I think my short answer is "FrugalPup" can already do what you are requesting. "f2StickPup" was never meant to be that complicated.

"f2StickPup" is meant to install a single Puppy with a minimum of questions, so it doesn't even consider multiboot.
Of course you can add extra Puppy install directories later using the "Puppy" facility of "FrugalPup", and then use the "Boot" facility of "FrugslPup" to create a new multiboot "grub.cfg".

My concept is that "FrugalPup" itself is the all-singing all-dancing utility to handle multiboot frugal installs, stored anywhere.
That is why, in the "Boot" facility you get to choose the directory to search for Puppies, if you choose the install directory of a single Puppy then it produces a single boot "grub.cfg", if you choose the parent directory that contains several Puppy install directories, then it produces a multiboot "grub.cfg".

"StickPup", "f2StickPup" and "DiskPup", are all very simple-midned single Puppy installers, if you want something more complicated, use "FrugalPup" itself.

gyro

bigpup

#178 Post by bigpup »

I use Frugalpup to put multiple Puppy versions on an internal emmc drive, USB stick, or hard drive.

When asked. I make a directory for install being done.

At this window you can make all the directories you want.
It auto switches to the one you just made.

Example:
When I got to this window.
I started at sdb2.
I made puppy directory.
It auto switched to that.
I made bionicpup6480 directory.
It auto switched to that.
In this window you can select any directory to install in before clicking OK.

I have made the mistake of not making a directory named for the Puppy version, before clicking OK.

After I do an install.
I do a new install of the boot loader and it updates the grub menu with what is newly installed.
Attachments
Screenshot(3).jpg
(54.09 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#179 Post by gyro »

@01micko,

Actually the easiest way to do what I think you are asking for is to use "gparted" to format the usb stick, and then use "DiskPup" to install Puppy.
"DiskPup" includes a dialog to select/create the directory that will contain Puppy.

gyro

gyro

#180 Post by gyro »

bigpup wrote:I have made the mistake of not making a directory named for the Puppy version, before clicking OK.
That's why "FrugalPup" utilites have a "confirm" dialog, just before they start doing anything.
So you can "Cancel" out, if what it says it's going to do, does not look right.

gyro