Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#871 Post by bigpup »

vtpup,

I have a Chromebook that has a Elan Touchpad.
It has a 14" monitor.

It seems to be working OK for me.
I am using the standard official Bionicpup64 8.0 with all updates from Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup updates

My settings are different from yours.

Note:
TouchpadOff= 1 is because I have the touchpad turned off, to use a wireless mouse.
But it could be on (TouchpadOff= 0) and both would work at the same time.

My ~/.flsynclient has these settings:

Code: Select all

Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge                = 132
    RightEdge               = 3168
    TopEdge                 = 106
    BottomEdge              = 1871
    FingerLow               = 25
    FingerHigh              = 30
    MaxTapTime              = 180
    MaxTapMove              = 169
    MaxDoubleTapTime        = 180
    SingleTapTimeout        = 180
    ClickTime               = 100
    EmulateMidButtonTime    = 0
    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 282
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
    VertScrollDelta         = 76
    HorizScrollDelta        = 76
    VertEdgeScroll          = 1
    HorizEdgeScroll         = 0
    CornerCoasting          = 0
    VertTwoFingerScroll     = 1
    HorizTwoFingerScroll    = 0
    MinSpeed                = 1
    MaxSpeed                = 1.75
    AccelFactor             = 0.052002
    TouchpadOff             = 1
    LockedDrags             = 0
    LockedDragTimeout       = 5000
    RTCornerButton          = 2
    RBCornerButton          = 3
    LTCornerButton          = 0
    LBCornerButton          = 0
    TapButton1              = 1
    TapButton2              = 3
    TapButton3              = 0
    ClickFinger1            = 1
    ClickFinger2            = 3
    ClickFinger3            = 0
    CircularScrolling       = 0
    CircScrollDelta         = 0.1
    CircScrollTrigger       = 0
    CircularPad             = 0
    PalmDetect              = 0
    PalmMinWidth            = 10
    PalmMinZ                = 200
    CoastingSpeed           = 20
    CoastingFriction        = 50
    PressureMotionMinZ      = 30
    PressureMotionMaxZ      = 160
    PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
    PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
    ResolutionDetect        = 1
    GrabEventDevice         = 0
    TapAndDragGesture       = 1
    AreaLeftEdge            = 0
    AreaRightEdge           = 0
    AreaTopEdge             = 0
    AreaBottomEdge          = 0
    HorizHysteresis         = 19
    VertHysteresis          = 19
    ClickPad                = 1
    RightButtonAreaLeft     = 1650
    RightButtonAreaRight    = 0
    RightButtonAreaTop      = 1621
    RightButtonAreaBottom   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaLeft    = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaRight   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaTop     = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaBottom  = 0
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

SaveFiles Are NOT Compressed

#872 Post by mikeslr »

williams2 wrote:mikeslr said
A SaveFolder and its contents are decompressed. You can directly change its contents. So can a hacker.
This is true.
A SaveFile is compressed and can not be modified except ...
This is not true. A Puppy SaveFile, in use by Puppy, or ready to be used by Puppy, is always uncompressed...
You know, he's right. :shock: Figuring that an application was necessary to resize them, that to access the files contained within them they had to be mounted, and were mounted by Left-Clicking them which is the way you mount SFSes, and that the only way to directly modify them was by initiating the snapmergepuppy script but especially as Full Installs have been recommended for low RAM systems to speed up the booting and the loading of files, I had assumed that difference was a result of the need to decompress the files within a SaveFile but not from Full Install where the file-systems within an ISO are decompressed to a partition. Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

When confronted by an assertion contrary to my beliefs, I know of only one method to determine the truth: experiment.

So downloaded a LibreOffice pet which, using xz compression required 203 Mbs of Storage Space. UExtracting it created a folder which required 544 Mbs of Storage Space. Booted into Tahrpup pfix=ram and created a new 1 Gb SaveFile. Rebooted and opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Total Size: 1024 MB
Free Space: 952 MB
Installed the libreoffice pet, executed a Save to the SaveFile and rebooted. Immediately on bootup I again opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Free Space: 406 MB

952-406 = 546. Perhaps the 2 Mbs more than just decompressing it to the hard-drive has something to do with inodes created in RAM to the files in the SaveFile whereas no such inodes would have been created with respect to the files merely existing in the folder. Or maybe something else. But, at any rate there does not appear to be any compression of files written to a SaveFile.

rufwoof

Re: SaveFiles Are NOT Compressed

#873 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:So downloaded a LibreOffice pet which, using xz compression required 203 Mbs of Storage Space. UExtracting it created a folder which required 544 Mbs of Storage Space. Booted into Tahrpup pfix=ram and created a new 1 Gb SaveFile. Rebooted and opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Free Space: 952 MB
Installed the libreoffice pet, executed a Save to the SaveFile and rebooted. Immediately on bootup I again opened PupSysInfo's base report which showed:
Free Space: 406 MB

952-406 = 546. Perhaps the 2 Mbs more than just decompressing it to the hard-drive has something to do with inodes created in RAM to the files in the SaveFile whereas no such inodes would have been created with respect to the files merely existing in the folder. Or maybe something else. But, at any rate there does not appear to be any compression of files written to a SaveFile.
A save file is just a filesystem file, a file that contains a filesystem, that can be mounted and read/written to. Write operations prevent using compression. The filesystem file will contain its own directory entries and inodes - that take up space. A save file is no/more less secure than a save folder. The main benefit is that you can store a save folder (filesystem) on alternative formats i.e. a ext3 savefolder content on a ntfs or fat partition. Some say having a single file is better than a folder for saves as its easier to move around/copy. But if you use mksquashfs and unsquashfs you can relatively easily convert a save folder into a single (sfs) file.

In my EasyOS boot, I use save folder, but have it stored in a sfs that I unsquashfs as part of bootup, after having validated the checksum of that sfs, so I know its 'clean'. Mostly I don't save once things are set up, but when a update is required I boot, make the changes and then save to the save folder, and recreate a new sfs of that (and record its checksum).

Fundamentally save files are good for if you're using a non ext type storage location, otherwise save folder is more preferable IMO for the unlimited (available free disk space) save area space they provide.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#874 Post by rufwoof »

Storing your save folder/file in compressed form is useful for intrusion detection purposes. For instance I set things up so at bootup the system checks the mbr, grldr, vmlinuz, initrd, main sfs and save folder sfs copies haven't been changed/tampered. Most initrd's include support for tar so you can extend the init code to extract a tar image of the save folder before using that extracted image/folder, which if you use .tgz for that (tar cvzf savefolder.tgz savefolder to create, tar xvzf savefolder.tgz to extract) means that the save folder is already in a single file format ... ready for copying/backup/whatever. There is the additional overhead of having to create that .tgz each time a 'save' is made (and in my case record its checksum (md5)), but that's relatively trivial.

I don't actually check the entire files md5 sum, as the file is compressed, just checking the first 10KB md5 sum's matching is adequate enough to ensure it has been tampered with IMO. Which can make the intrusion detection test that much quicker to run through (compared to checking perhaps 300MB of md5 checksums).

When you know that each of the mbr (I like to run under old BIOS style), grldr, vmlinuz, initrd, the main sfs and the save folder are 'clean', that's as good as booting using a CD/DVD liveboot IMO.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

westwest

mouse and keyboard

#875 Post by westwest »

From the PPM i see that xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse are already installed...
Also, where and how should i add them as drivers in xorg.conf?

bigpup

#876 Post by bigpup »

Abiword has a newer version from the one that is in Bionicpup64 8.0.
https://www.abisource.com/release-notes/3.0.2.phtml
any reason not to update to the newer version?
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#877 Post by 666philb »

westwest wrote:From the PPM i see that xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse are already installed...
Also, where and how should i add them as drivers in xorg.conf?
hi westwest,

they may be showing installed when not so click on them again to install.
and then rename ...
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak
/etc/X11/xorg.conf-auto-pc to xorg.conf
after restarting X this should then use the kbd and mouse driver.

note that if it doesn't work you may have no keyboard or mouse! if that happens you can reverse the above from the command prompt, or boot in ram mode and edit the files directly inside the save.

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-auto-pc 
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
xwin
Last edited by 666philb on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#878 Post by 666philb »

Lobster wrote:I am running GROWL which uses
gtkdialog4
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8ec#335216

Are gtkdialog3 gtkdialog4 broken in Bionic?
The program runs BUT preceded by this when run from terminal:

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyDrive'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 02:29:27.531: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyMount'.

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 02:29:27.531: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog4:28133): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 02:29:27.531: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyShadowMount'.

hi Lobster,
it runs clean in a terminal for me.
in a terminal try running ..

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas || true
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/gio-querymodules usr/lib/gio/modules || true
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: Touchpad problems

#879 Post by 666philb »

vtpup wrote:I've been testing BionicPup on the Acer R11 Chromebook with good results re. programs now, and the keyboard now works thanks to the inclusion of pinctrl_cherryview kernel module in the latest kernel compiles. Also the sound problem has effectively been worked around via a USB headphone dongle, but there remains a problem with the action of the touchpad.

The touchpad response causes the cursor to jump around at odd moments, and to rapidly cycle through the 3 desktops. It also has a tendency to overshoot whatever target you are trying to click on. This makes BionicPup very frustrating to use.

I have tried to adjust it via the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard, but no combination I've tried tames it completely. The above problems contiunue to occur when all touchpad scrolling and tapping are turned off. Also, attempting to calibrate the touchpad side limits crashes the M/K Wizard -- possibly a bug.

I've looked into things a little deeper and understand that the Wizard basically sets values in ~/.flsynclient -- which I believe was developed by Jemima for Fluppy. There are a lot of values in that config file -- some of which seem to be hard coded in and not either addressed by and/or affected by setting in the M/K Wizard.

For instance, there are hard coded coasting speed and a coasting friction values -- maybe these account for the cursor overshooting problems I'm seeing.

The problem is, I don't know how .flsynclient works -- what uses its values, what applies them to whatever controls the cursor. And also that the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard does not seem to be properly interacting with it.

I have been using Fatdog 64 - 800 series, and unlike Biopup it has perfectly smooth and reliable touchpad functions with this chromebook. I looked for flsynclient (to possibly copy its contents) on that OS, but it does not use it. I don't know what touchpad system it uses for control, but it works much better than the present Puppy version -- perhaps there are some clues there?

I'm basically at the limit of my troubleshooting ability -- hoping someone can help solve this, as BioPup is otherwise very viable on this Chromebook.
hi vtpup,
have a look at this post about changing cursor speed https://askubuntu.com/questions/948373/ ... n-libinput

666philb

#880 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Abiword has a newer version from the one that is in Bionicpup64 8.0.
https://www.abisource.com/release-notes/3.0.2.phtml
any reason not to update to the newer version?
hi bigpup,

the newer abiword is gtk3 and was going to be included in the build, however i changed my mind as the font browser wasn't as good as the gtk2 version. give it a go and see. it should install fine from the ppm (even though it says it's installed)

][V][

Sorry, just realized I posted a message in a wrong place

#881 Post by ][V][ »

Sorry, just realized I posted a message in a wrong place

666philb

#882 Post by 666philb »

lupox wrote:nvidia-kernel-340.107-k4.19.23-64.pet
working......
thanks ... added to the nvidia 340.pet in the repo

umair

#883 Post by umair »

@666philb:

I have installed Bionicpup 64 bit version in usb. Works nicely. Having one issue as my wifi is not working. looks like wlan has not been detected by bionic. I am using HP Elitebook 2540p.

Another Question, can anybody tell me what will be the frugal menu entry for bionicpup in grub2 ? I have linux mint 19 installed in my laptop. I am interested to check the bionicpup in frugal method (I had successfully setup other puppies like xenialpup32 using GRUB Customizer, but that did'nt work in the above case).

Thanks in advance .

bigpup

#884 Post by bigpup »

looks like wlan has not been detected by bionic. I am using HP Elitebook 2540p.
Sorry, have to ask.
Are you sure you understand how to use the Internet Connection Wizard?

menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Network
Is this giving any info?
If yes.
Please post what it shows.
If no.
Devices>PCI Devices>Summary may have info.

Example needed info:
Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 [8086:08b1] (rev c3)
If still no info.
In linux mint 19
Can you tell us what it says is the exact info on what the WIFI hardware is?
YaPI(any iso installer)

umair

#885 Post by umair »

bigpup wrote:
looks like wlan has not been detected by bionic. I am using HP Elitebook 2540p.
Sorry, have to ask.
Are you sure you understand how to use the Internet Connection Wizard?

menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Network
Is this giving any info?
If yes.
Please post what it shows.
If no.
Devices>PCI Devices>Summary may have info.

Example needed info:
Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 [8086:08b1] (rev c3)
If still no info.
In linux mint 19
Can you tell us what it says is the exact info on what the WIFI hardware is?
Thanks for reply @bigpup:
Yes, I am sure how to configure wifi in linux puppy: Following is the info as you asked for:

In Linux Mint 19 wifi Information is as below:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Centrino Advanced-N 6200
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:43:00.0
logical name: wlo1
version: 3e
serial: 18:3d:a2:88:de:40
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.10.0-38-generic firmware=9.221.4.1 build 25532 ip=10.114.18.39 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

In Puppy : Devices/PCI Devices/Summary is below

Network controller
• Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200
• VendorID=8086 DeviceID=4239 Rev=3e
• Kernel Module=iwlwifi

b/w that I remembered that I have faced the similar issue in the latest version of Slacko. I posted the question on puppy slacko. Got the answer from a senior forum member, but sadly I do not remember the exact Answer. I am also not able to search again that answer in the forum here. As far as I remember I have copied one of a system file to another puppy (it was tahrpup).

Thanks in Advance.

ozsouth

#886 Post by ozsouth »

@umair - I suspected missing firmware & found your slacko post, which confirms it (use the forum search to find your posts).
Your post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 368#965368
Firmware file (goes in /lib/firmware): http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS ... 00-4.ucode

bigpup

#887 Post by bigpup »

If you run Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup updates
It will install the firmware.

Bugfixes installed by Bionicpup updates:
05/03/2019 added iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode firmware ... rcrsn51 & Gordie
Make sure it gets saved in the bionicpupsave.
Reboot to get it loaded.
YaPI(any iso installer)

umair

#888 Post by umair »

ozsouth wrote:@umair - I suspected missing firmware & found your slacko post, which confirms it (use the forum search to find your posts).
Your post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 368#965368
Firmware file (goes in /lib/firmware): http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS ... 00-4.ucode
@ozsouth:

Thanks for the help. It is confirmed that my laptop wifi working is nicely after performing above steps.

@bigpup:

Thanks to you too.

Currently I am testing Bionic in detail. Looks solid so far. will update if I found any issue(s).

Thanks

Antipodal

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

#889 Post by Antipodal »

We'll surely chumm up!
Attachments
14h26.png
Absolutely!
(216.94 KiB) Downloaded 1532 times

zerrax

Does Bionicpup64 8.0 uses "systemd" ?

#890 Post by zerrax »

I'm realy impressed by this release, everything works for me out of the box
Great job Peter & 666philb!

I think this version will become my main daily multimedia OS in the livingroom.

I have one question that I would like to know, is this version "systemd free" ?
Because Ubuntu 18.04.LTS (Bionic Beaver) from Canonical uses systemd...