Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Terry H

#571 Post by Terry H »

RimsOnAToaster wrote:I hope this isn't in the wrong spot...

I can't get BionicPup64 to boot on my hardware. The system is powered by an ASRock J4105-ITX board which has an embedded Gemini Lake- family Celeron J4105 processor, 2x 4GB of some spare 2666 MHz DDR4 memory, and a flash-based save drive connected via the board's USB 3.0 header. The system also includes an onboard M.2 E-key slot for a Wi-Fi card, which I have populated with an Intel 9260.

To my knowledge, ASrock has gotten rid of the legacy BIOS boot option for this family of hardware, thereby pushing UEFI-only boot options. I have disabled secure boot from within the UEFI menu and prepped a live USB with build 7.9.8 using Rufus 3.3. At this point I'm not too sure what steps to take.
There are a few guides on this forum regarding setting up puppies to boot on a UEFI based system. This one mentions booting with Windows 10, but the W10 reference is irrelevant, as it describes how to manually setup a USB flash drive for UEFI booting.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112224

I use a small partition(100MB), which is formatted as fat32 for the EFI partition, then have ext4 partitions where i put frugal installs of various puppies. As the installations are on a different partition, my grub.cfg stanzas differ from the above thread, in that I identify the partition using the "root=UUID=...". Below shows 3 frugally installed puppies on one partition, contained in separate folders.

Code: Select all

menuentry "stretch-7.5 RC4" {

search --set -f /stretch-7.5-4/vmlinuz

linux /stretch-7.5-4/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=stretch-7.5-4 pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable

initrd /stretch-7.5-4/initrd.gz

}

menuentry "Upup Bionic Beaver 18.05 + 23" {

search --set -f /bionic/vmlinuz

linux /bionic/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=bionic pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable
initrd /bionic/initrd.gz

}

menuentry "Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC" {

search --set -f /bionic64/vmlinuz

linux /bionic64/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=bionic64 pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable
initrd /bionic64/initrd.gz

}

bigpup

#572 Post by bigpup »

I can't get BionicPup64 to boot on my hardware.
How about some details on what happens.
You do what?
You see what?

Try a different USB port if you have one.

Disable secure boot in the computers bios, should let it boot Bionicpup64.
It does on every computer I have ever tried it on that has UEFI bios.
If the computer bios has legacy boot option that basically does the same thing.

Found this on an ASRock forum post.
A problem you may have is that there are no drivers for that cpu/chipset from Intel or Asrock, except for Windows 10 drivers. Hope your Linux versions have included them.
No info on what the Linux driver needs to be or how to get it.
Something to maybe search for.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

oldprinter

#573 Post by oldprinter »

For what it's worth -
I also disabled 'Fast Boot', if Fast Boot is on, your computer is just 'hibernating', not actually powered off.
In this case I'd take the time to physically unplug, let the power supply run down and start up that way.

Didn't he have Xenialpup running on this box?

If that's the case, I'd redo the 'Live' media, I have had missing files on my DVDs, re-downloaded, checked 'sums', made new disk and then they worked

Tom

RimsOnAToaster

#574 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Terry H wrote:
RimsOnAToaster wrote:I hope this isn't in the wrong spot...

I can't get BionicPup64 to boot on my hardware. The system is powered by an ASRock J4105-ITX board which has an embedded Gemini Lake- family Celeron J4105 processor, 2x 4GB of some spare 2666 MHz DDR4 memory, and a flash-based save drive connected via the board's USB 3.0 header. The system also includes an onboard M.2 E-key slot for a Wi-Fi card, which I have populated with an Intel 9260.

To my knowledge, ASrock has gotten rid of the legacy BIOS boot option for this family of hardware, thereby pushing UEFI-only boot options. I have disabled secure boot from within the UEFI menu and prepped a live USB with build 7.9.8 using Rufus 3.3. At this point I'm not too sure what steps to take.
There are a few guides on this forum regarding setting up puppies to boot on a UEFI based system. This one mentions booting with Windows 10, but the W10 reference is irrelevant, as it describes how to manually setup a USB flash drive for UEFI booting.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112224

Thank you so much for setting me straight here! that link worked like a charm. Now I'm off to wrestle with wi-fi card drivers ;)

bigpup

#575 Post by bigpup »

This affects all info for Intel CPU's that are normally using the intel_pstate scaling driver.
The Kernel in Bionicpup64 is setup to use this driver.
So, usually this is the driver being used for CPU scaling.

Older versions of Pup-Sysinfo did not show all the CPU info.
New version of Pup-Sysinfo just released to correct this.
Pup-Sysinfo 2.8.3
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/Pup-SysInfo-2.8.3.pet
- Bugfix: In some scenarios, failed detection of CPU speed when the frequency scaling driver is intel_pstate
YaPI(any iso installer)

oui

/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo

#576 Post by oui »

is a manual about the changes in that subdir (or in /etc/xdg/sourceforge.net/MIME-types somewhere available?

(how to transmit the changes to a remaster version containing an other browser, the usual browser used by BK, the Seamonkey Suite, part of the concept of shellCMS, as the HTML editor of Seamonkey is an important figure of this interesting CMS...)

666philb

#577 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Bionicpup64 7.9.8
Fresh frugal install
Only added installed program is Wine.

Installed Wine using Quickpet>Useful>Wine

None of the menu entries for Wine will work.
There are many of them in menu>Utilities

Example:
Wine Configure (winecfg) in a console gives these errors.
root# winecfg
wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib64/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:err:process:start_wineboot failed to start wineboot, err 1359
0009:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
Wine cannot find the ncurses library (libncurses.so.5).
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib64/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:err:winecfg:WinMain failed to restart 64-bit L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe", err 1359
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
thanks bigpup,

i've fixed and re-uploaded the wine package to ibiblio (it will take a while to sync with nluug). the desktop icons were calling 32bit wine rather than wine64.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#578 Post by bigpup »

Confirm.
Quickpet>Useful>Wine Installed.
All menu entries now work.

Thanks!
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

memory usage

#579 Post by 666philb »

there's been some concern about the 500mb+ memory usage of bionicpup at start up, so i thought i'ld do a xenialpup64 and bionicpup64 comparison.

the test was done on an 2008-9 core2duo T7250 2000mz 4gb ram laptop on a fresh frugal install. after installing all the test apps i rebooted before starting the test & all applications were loaded in the same order.

fresh boot stating memory
bionicpup 520mb
xenialpup 145mb

applications loaded....

conky
gimp with image loaded
libre office writer
google-earth (default start position not zoomed)
spotify playing the same album
deadbeef playing the same album
mpv
palemoon browser 2 tabs youtube streaming at 480p and amazon uk
chromium browser 2 tabs youtube streaming at 480p and amazon uk
tor browser 2 tabs youtube streaming at 480p and amazon uk
osmo
htop

bionicpup 2.35gb
xenialpup 2.00gb

i then continued to add applications, simple screen recorder, abiword, gnumeric & transmisson at which point both started to swap, xenial possibly swapping slightly earlier but pretty much at the same point.

i then noticed that in bionicpup lxtask was showing less memory usage than htop and conky (which were showing the same amount). so i tried xenialpups htop & conky in bionicpup .

fresh boot stating memory
bionicpup 176mb (this difference is mostly compton at 13mb)
xenialpup 145mb

then running the test again above both were showing about 2gb usage.

so bionicpup isn't the memory hog that we thought it was, it just that there's a difference in the way memory is reported in newer v older versions of conky and htop.

bionicpups reporting is probably a lot more realistic considering the puppy.sfs and zdrv.sfs are loaded into ram.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#580 Post by bigpup »

Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Memory
Seems to give better info than Htop.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Chili Dog

#581 Post by Chili Dog »

Barry's Simple Network Setup never works for me. Dougal's does, adding my wifi driver to the wext list. But after that SNS still doesn't work.

Google-searching, it looks complicated to update it or manually add the driver.

No big deal, the other one works. :)

Revolverve

#582 Post by Revolverve »

Freecad app.image... just too easy...

I like bionicpup64..

rustypup

#583 Post by rustypup »

Hi all. I'm a bit late to the party here but I finally decided to give Bionicpup64 a whirl. I'm happy to report everything seems to be working great for me.

Running on Asus M5A97, with FX-6300, 24GB, HD7770, frugal install on USB.

Google Chrome, Renoise, Milkytracker, Audacity and GIMP all installed and working no problems.

Really impressed to see that Qjackctl install works. On previous pups I've had to install it from the package manager, then uninstall it, leaving the dependencies in place and then install an older version from a .deb file. No such messing about this time. Thanks for all your hard work 666philb.

Also, nice to see a working RedshiftGUI. I like how running it adds it to startup too. Nice touch.

If I encounter any issues I will report back but all looking good so far.

bigpup

#584 Post by bigpup »

Chili Dog wrote:Barry's Simple Network Setup never works for me. Dougal's does, adding my wifi driver to the wext list. But after that SNS still doesn't work.
Now you know why there is more than one network setup program in most Puppies.
SNS works when it works, but not all the time for every possible hardware setup.
Frisbee the same, but it sometimes works better for WIFI.
Network Wizard usually always works, if you understand what the options do and how to use it.
Point is, one of them will usually be able to get a network setup working.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#585 Post by bigpup »

Updated Pup-Sysinfo is released.
Pup-SysInfo-2.8.5
CPU and Video reports have a lot of changes, so they give better reports.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#586 Post by rerwin »

Chili Dog wrote:Barry's Simple Network Setup never works for me.
Chili Dog,
I would like to investigate the problem you have with SNS. Please see the PM I sent you yesterday, for details.
Richard

EDIT 2/22/19:
We worked together to resolve this. His long network SSID was being truncated to 20 characters, so would not work. The fix, in SNS 2.2, restores the full length for processing but still truncates the SSID for display, to avoid stretching the window too wide. Thank you, chili dog, for your help.
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 22 Feb 2019, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Revolverve

#587 Post by Revolverve »

Its been a while i got that one;
-how come bionicpup64 (and almost* all other) on uefi/lick/ntfs/frugal do not have the savefolder option?

*fatdog64 got that option ?

Anyone else using uefi/lick/ntfs/frugal ? a reason for it?

Jamebond secret service?
Last edited by Revolverve on Fri 08 Feb 2019, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#588 Post by ITSMERSH »

Don't know if anyone mentioned this.

When e.g. there's a rox filer window opened in /mnt/sda2 and when unmounting /mnt/sda2 via top right corner of its drive icon, the drive gets unmounted as it should be.

BUT: the rox filer window doesn't close. Instead it stays opened with an empty /mnt/sda2 directory.

It's the first time I have seen this compared to all other Puppies I'd tried so far.

williams2

#589 Post by williams2 »

If there is a rox window showing /mnt/sda2 and that dir is deleted, for example, from another rox window or using rmdir, then the window showning /mnt/sda2 will close. If the dir /mnt/sda2 exists, then rox will continue to display it whether a file system is mounted on it or not. Dirs in /mnt are ordinary dirs like any other dir. You can choose to mount a file system on any dir in /mnt or anywhere else, for example, a dir in /root if you like.

If the rox window closes when you unmount a dir using an icon on the desktop (rox pinboard) it would be the script that runs when you click the icon that would be deleting the dir. Or it may be that the script is telling rox to close the window. Something like this:

rox -D /mnt/sda2

That will close all rox windows showing /mnt/sda2 or any subdirectory.

rox -D/ would close all rox windows.

I do not know if the desktop mount scripts have changed, I usually disable them and use the command line to mount file systems. I remember when Puppy didn't have mount icons. I remember when Puppy did not have a desktop/pinboard at all, just a picture of a seagull as wallpaper. Rox was a gtk1 version, fonts were not unaliased, everything was read-only except /root, /var was a tmpfs.

Puppy has changed a lot. But Puppy is still fast, efficient, and great to use as your primary everyday operating system.

666philb

#590 Post by 666philb »

ITSMERSH wrote:Don't know if anyone mentioned this.

When e.g. there's a rox filer window opened in /mnt/sda2 and when unmounting /mnt/sda2 via top right corner of its drive icon, the drive gets unmounted as it should be.

BUT: the rox filer window doesn't close. Instead it stays opened with an empty /mnt/sda2 directory.

It's the first time I have seen this compared to all other Puppies I'd tried so far.
hi ITSMERSH,

are you using an updated savefile from an earlier version as this is fixed i believe, and is working as expected for me