Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
666philb

#466 Post by 666philb »

yep i'm dropping gimp (although the 7.8.7 gimp had gmic plugins available in the ppm which didn't crash) as i have had to go back to using ubuntu's ffmpeg & mpv which has increased the size somewhat. so it's back to mtpaint.

libreoffice is a dilemma though. abiword iisn't reliable but libre office is huge. but i'm not trying to make a puppy that runs on a pre 2005 computer. coreduo & 2gb ram is going to be the recommended minimum, the old vista ready computers (which ran vista like a slug). the old xp computers are served better by older pups like tahrpup and slacko or peebees 32bit bionic which is modern and stripped down

a working stable word processor is pretty important ,fatdog, easyos & 01mickos latest slacko include LibreOffice, and considering the spec of computer bionicpup is aimed at i'm feeling that it should probably be included.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#467 Post by bigpup »

Is it possible to only have LibreOffice writer and not the other LibreOffice programs :idea:

However, not sure that would make it much smaller.
LibreOffice is sort of a monolithic program. Calc, Writer, Impress etc. are just front-ends to common components. In fact, you can omit installing them, at least under GNU/Linux, but it only will reduce the total size by a couple of hundreds of kilobytes.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

torgo

#468 Post by torgo »

Suggestion: go with the smaller ISO but put SFS links for LibreOffice and GIMP (if/when working) in QuickPet.

artsown

#469 Post by artsown »

Is it possible to only have LibreOffice writer and not the other LibreOffice programs?
Out of curiosity, I installed libreoffice writer only (via ppm) on xenialpup64
7.5 ... and a quick check suggests it works ok. Some users might like
and prefer the idea of installing just what they want and nothing else. After
all, slacko doesn't even include gtk+3 needed for several "heavy" browsers.
Neither does the powerful fatdog.

Art

Revolverve

#470 Post by Revolverve »

Loading/unloading sfs is one of the particular option of "our favorites distros" that ,my humble opinion, is usefull(ram speaking),reliable , "attractive" and should by "promote".
Or,if an officesuite be included ,one should consider removing duplicative options integrated softwares... despite their small sizes.
An end user point of view here...

ProDigit

#471 Post by ProDigit »

Rox filer always resizes when clicking the up arrow on the left.

I also don't seem to be able to connect to a network. The network card was found, but for some reason I never get to see the password dialog, and it always returns Network configuration of Wlan0 unsuccessful! error.

I also sometimes get an 'ok' window, with a firewall red sign without any text.

I just recently have copied the iwlwifi-7265D-17.ucode file to /lib/firmware, deleting all the others ILWIFI files, like worked on Xenialpup but without any success.
It now no longer recognizes my wifi card, so start anew from scratch.

HP Stream 11.

ITSMERSH

#472 Post by ITSMERSH »

Rox filer always resizes when clicking the up arrow on the left.
This is the default in Rox filer.

Right-clicking a free area in Rox filer window and choosing options to setup Rox filer.

bigpup

#473 Post by bigpup »

I
also don't seem to be able to connect to a network. The network card was found, but for some reason I never get to see the password dialog, and it always returns Network configuration of Wlan0 unsuccessful! error.
What network connection program are you trying to use?

The password entry is usually offered after you select wpa, wpa2, etc..... encryption.

You are probably just not understanding what to do in the connection program.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Revolverve

#474 Post by Revolverve »

666philb or woof guys...
With browser/run-as-spot things,
a warning like:"you dont have the rights to run/install/layer whatever.sfs from root/spot ,it need to be copy/move to home(or elsewhere)'' should be specified.
The {pupdialog} does "recommend'' it, but its a simple necessity ,cause it break the system,here...
...be advised,just in case you would like to test an sfs from root/spot/download,if it behave like here,you will need hard-reset..
Timeless best wishes to all...

bigpup

#475 Post by bigpup »

666philb,

This is just something to consider.

When Bionicpup64 is first installed. The desktop icons use black color for the names under the icons.

I have a lot of drive icons that go across the bottom of the desktop and over the Bionic dog image.
The black color of the names blends into this image and you cannot see them.

I changed the color of the names to white.
This color still shows up very good on icons in other areas of the desktop.

You must be getting close to final release of Bionicpup64, if this is all I can bitch about :roll: :lol: :!:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#476 Post by 666philb »

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

bionicpup64 7.9.8 RC uploaded. link on first post

gimp removed
libreoffice removed
gcolor2 removed
didwiki removed (did anyone use this?)
EDIT: removed pmcputemp (can't work on all comps)

ppm now auto updates using scottmans pkg
mtpaint back
abiword back
redshift gui added
qbat now has a low battery alarm
janky_BT & bluez added
guvcview added
quickpet added items mixxx, teamviewer, gimp, libreoffice
kernel updated to 4.19.12 and patched so maybe....just maybe, it might work on zigberts comp
gpick added
qjackctl fix
psip updated
swapped back to ubuntu ffmpeg (larger but compatible with all apps in PPM)
swapped back to ubuntus mpv
various other fixes
bionicpup64 is now in woofce (may have to wait until pull request accepted)
Last edited by 666philb on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

artsown

#477 Post by artsown »

Happy new year to you, Phil! All I can say about 7.9.8 is that it's as nice
and solid as I expected. It's the "king of the road" IMO. Best puppy
ever!

Art

Terry H

#478 Post by Terry H »

Happy New Year to you to Phil and all forum members.

New clean frugal install on my Sandisk UltraFit USB 32GB Flash drive. All set up and running very smoothly.

Thank you.

Just one query. I copy the save2flash.desktop to /usr/share/applications to be able include it in my top panel. I normally then change code to not display on desktop. Problem is it is no longer in rc.sysinit and I am unable to find the code that controls adding the icon on the desktiop. Could you please advise where the code now exists.

Edit: Wallpaper being used is from forum member ETP's collection.
Attachments
desktop.jpg
So impressive thought I'd post a pic of desktop as set up.
(55.85 KiB) Downloaded 945 times
Last edited by Terry H on Tue 01 Jan 2019, 23:12, edited 3 times in total.

Hesse James

#479 Post by Hesse James »

Hello Phil
Thank you again for your massive input of time to bring Puppy forward !

Despite 1 of January here are some (minor) glitches I found on short notice.

1.) Bionic64 cannot recognize a Sony eBook for data transfer via USB automatically (pmount doesn't see it too). Manual mounting to generate mount point and 'mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb' solved it. Different to 7.9.7 the drive-icon is still missing. Access after manual mounting via /mnt/sdb is then possible.
Some SD-cards are also affected. I had to mount one in the exactly same way as above. Automatic recognition didn't work.

2.) Android connection is requested correctly by bionic64 if a phone (Motorola G3) is plugged in. MTP activated on phone side. A window opens and shows some directories. If you click on of the directories then this just opened window vanishs. Reopening of the window brings no improvement.

3.) Puppy Package Manager seeks only ubuntu bionic64 universe, main and multivers repositories. Configuring PPM brings up the possibility of new ubuntu repositories but no puppy noarch, tahr64 or xenial64 (as it is with 797). Updating the database generates the know repositories from 797 with noarch and so but the new ubuntu repositories are no longer there.

4.) Language packs (esp. german): the offered 20130608 leads to a vanishing desktop menu and right-click does no longer work. Newer ones from 2015 and 2017 alter only the number of shown menu-items. It seems to me that the german language packs cannot be used seriously. I investigated one Italian pack which performed much better.

5.) Sound in Palemoon works on my computer out of the box (headphone), but on my wife's computer I didn't manage to get it working (HDMI-output). Alsa sound wizard multiple cards plays the barking but that all. Maybe a configuration problem. I have to spend some time for it.

6.) Concerning the question whether to use large program packages within a distribution or only a minor set of basic programs:
I think you cannot please everybody. Thanks to quickpet everybody can download and install the program he wants.
I think the current situation of 7.9.7 makes it easier for you to maintain a distribution. You can concentrate on the operation system itself and need not to iron out errors of complex application programs like libreoffice or gimp.
For the standard user it becomes more difficult. The user might want to use e.g. gimp but who cares if his package is buggy ?

That's all for today.
Best wishes for 2019 for all of you.
Christian

Billtoo

Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC

#480 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to the hard drive of my Acer laptop:

Changed kernels.
Added applications with PPM + Quickpet for Firefox.
Turned on touch pad with fn-f7
Touch screen and touch pad work, lower left corner of touch pad for
click,two fingers for scroll.

root# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc7471 Kernel: 4.14.91 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7
Distro: bionicpup64 7.9.8
Machine: Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire V5-571P v: V2.17 serial: NXM49AA03531512EC36600
Mobo: Acer model: Aspire V5-571P v: V2.17 serial: NBM491100831501E946600
UEFI [Legacy]: Phoenix v: V2.17 date: 02/27/2013
Battery BAT0: charge: 26.9 Wh 96.9% condition: 27.8/37.0 Wh (75%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-3227U (-MT-MCP-) speed/max: 942/1901 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.10hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: bcma-pci-bridge
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (2.9% used)
Weather: Conditions: 23 F (-5 C) - Scattered Clouds Time: January 1, 8:00 PM EST
Info: Processes: 118 Uptime: 1:05 Memory: 331.6/5764.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
root#

Also tried 7.9.8 on my lenovo desktop with nvidia card, couldn't get
proprietary drivers to work, default kernel, also tried the nvidia pet
in quickpet, that didn't work either.

Thanks for new version.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(93.44 KiB) Downloaded 896 times

zigbert

#481 Post by zigbert »

Happy new year!
RC is REALLY good news on the Lenovo Yoga 530

- Touchpad works.
- Screen brightness can not be set from the function-buttons on the keyboard, but the redshift gui works wonderful, and gives a preferable result.
- Wifi works, but the module had to be loaded manually (in net-setup.sh). Maybe it is just a naming issue. net-setup.sh listed 8821ce as available module while the naming showed rtl8821ce after installed.
- cpu-temp window is not popping up (as in earlier iso) anymore, and is probably correct, since amd hasn't got everything into the kernel yet.
- I reported earlier that hdmi didn't work. I now does!
- Touchscreen works. Great to see xvkbd included. It might be out of your scope, but have you considered pTheme to get easy switching between mouse/touch layout? I might give issues with radky's JwmDesk, and RC-status is probably to late for this anyway. Forget it...

Thanks a lot!

6.9.8 includes pBackup which I have pointed out over the last years that is not reliable and a piece of coding crap. The author apologize for the inconvenience ;-)

recobayu

#482 Post by recobayu »

Thank you 666philb for this new bionicpup,
I use it now. my problem is there are no sound in my default speaker here. But i can hear it using my headphone.
how to solve this? I use acer aspire 4830
thank you
Attachments
report-sound-card.txt.gz
fake gz. rename it
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

ITSMERSH

#483 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

The 7.9.7 .iso was at 402MB.
The 7.9.8 .iso is at 344MB.

Since Libre Office and GIMP is out, why is it still that big in MB size?

666philb

#484 Post by 666philb »

Terry H wrote: Just one query. I copy the save2flash.desktop to /usr/share/applications to be able include it in my top panel. I normally then change code to not display on desktop. Problem is it is no longer in rc.sysinit and I am unable to find the code that controls adding the icon on the desktiop. Could you please advise where the code now exists.
hi Terry H,

not sure , have a look through the history of rc.sysinit here for clues https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... rc.sysinit

or just ask on woofce by creating a new issue .

666philb

#485 Post by 666philb »

Hesse James wrote:Hello Phil
1.) Bionic64 cannot recognize a Sony eBook for data transfer via USB automatically (pmount doesn't see it too). Manual mounting to generate mount point and 'mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb' solved it. Different to 7.9.7 the drive-icon is still missing. Access after manual mounting via /mnt/sdb is then possible.
Some SD-cards are also affected. I had to mount one in the exactly same way as above. Automatic recognition didn't work.

2.) Android connection is requested correctly by bionic64 if a phone (Motorola G3) is plugged in. MTP activated on phone side. A window opens and shows some directories. If you click on of the directories then this just opened window vanishs. Reopening of the window brings no improvement.

3.) Puppy Package Manager seeks only ubuntu bionic64 universe, main and multivers repThank you again for your massive input of time to bring Puppy forward !

Despite 1 of January here are some (minor) glitches I found on short notice.
ositories. Configuring PPM brings up the possibility of new ubuntu repositories but no puppy noarch, tahr64 or xenial64 (as it is with 797). Updating the database generates the know repositories from 797 with noarch and so but the new ubuntu repositories are no longer there.

4.) Language packs (esp. german): the offered 20130608 leads to a vanishing desktop menu and right-click does no longer work. Newer ones from 2015 and 2017 alter only the number of shown menu-items. It seems to me that the german language packs cannot be used seriously. I investigated one Italian pack which performed much better..
hi Hesse James,

1. did usb icons show on the desktop in the last release?

2. android connection is working for me, have you tried restarting the process

3. The PPM is auto updated at boot using scottmans package /root/Startup/PPMupdatedatabase. editing to the following should fix it (will add a fix in quickpet)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec pkg ru
4. Well you know the solution there .... make a new langpack for your language and i'll add to the repo :)

cheers
Last edited by 666philb on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.