Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 06 Jul 2020, 17:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 81 of 87 [1302 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 Next
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2020, 17:07    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Folder /root/.cache/ gets filled with many files like event-sound-cache.tdb....
Same for folder /root/.dbus/session-bus/ gets filled with many files.
I guess they get created at each bootup, so why not erase them at bootup or use only one ?

hi linuxbcon,

cache can speed some applications up, but you could install bleachbit and add
Code:
bleachbit --clean system.cache
to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown if you want it deleted
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2020, 17:17    Post subject:
Subject description: CQ60 laptop net interface

rerwin wrote:

666philb, please consider adding SNS-2.3 and NW-2.1.1 to your BionicPup Updates package.

Richard

hi richard,

i tried installing the newer packages into my running system as they would be installed by bionicpup64s update mechanism and it caused my connection to fail at next boot so i will probably hold off on this update for bionicpup64.

note that the update worked on my laptop but this modern desktop is a problem computer where network is concerned. it has a wired connection but sns fails & network wizard connects but not after a reboot . only frisbee works, something that would normally be just for wireless, but it takes a long time to connect.

linuxcbon

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 07:25    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
hi linuxbcon,
cache can speed some applications up, but you could install bleachbit and add
Code:
bleachbit --clean system.cache
to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown if you want it deleted

/root/.dbus/session-bus/ isn't a cache.
It gets full with dbus ids.
How to have dbus use the same id, instead of creating one at each boot ?
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 09:43    Post subject:
Subject description: CQ60 laptop net interface

666philb wrote:
rerwin wrote:

666philb, please consider adding SNS-2.3 and NW-2.1.1 to your BionicPup Updates package.

Richard

hi richard,

i tried installing the newer packages into my running system as they would be installed by bionicpup64s update mechanism and it caused my connection to fail at next boot so i will probably hold off on this update for bionicpup64.

Hello rerwin
My new AM4 motherboard with Athlon 3000G behaves the same as 666philb.

If I try SNS it says: "There does not seem to be any network connected to eth0"
With the network wizard I can click: eth0 - Auto DHCP and it connects. I select keep the setting, but it does not connect at startup.

I installed the two packages you suggested, but there was no difference.

Note: Fatdog 800/810 Connects eth0 automatically, using the same kernel, without having to configure anything.
Maltese Fan

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 09:58    Post subject:  

Hey everybody. I just downloaded Bionicpup 64. I haven't messed around with Puppy Linux since 4.0. I'm having problems with my wifi adapter not being recognized. It's a Realtek 8821CE LAN 802.11AC PCI NIC. This is on a new Lenovo Ideapad.
I tried all the wifi wizards and tried wrapping a Windows driver with no luck.
Any suggestions appreciated.
ozsouth

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 10:16    Post subject:  

Driver here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=90382660743835032471
Install by clicking on it in ROXFiler, then in a terminal, run: modprobe 8821ce - should then be able to connect. Must choose save on reboot/shutdown to be available next boot.
TiredPup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 12:00    Post subject:  

The rtl8821ce wireless driver is also available in the "driver" section of the Quickpet application on the Bionicpup64 desktop.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 12:45    Post subject:  

TiredPup wrote:
The rtl8821ce wireless driver is also available in the "driver" section of the Quickpet application on the Bionicpup64 desktop.

True.
But there is a catch 22.
The driver is added to Quickpet, after you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates.
You can not do that unless you have a network connection for internet Rolling Eyes Laughing
Here is direct link to pet package
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-bionic64/rtl8821ce-wireless-driver.pet
Well, you still have to get an internet connection, with some computer, to download it Rolling Eyes

Note:
Make sure to do what ozsouth posted.

Or after installing the pet, reboot and save, so the driver is now being found and used.

TiredPup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 13:00    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Today, at 12:45 Post subject:
TiredPup wrote:

True.
But there is a catch 22.
The driver is added to Quickpet, after you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates.
You can not do that unless you have a network connection for internet Rolling Eyes Laughing
Here is direct link to pet package
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-bionic64/rtl8821ce-wireless-driver.pet
Well, you still have to get an internet connection, with some computer, to download it Rolling Eyes

Good point about having to update quickpet. I had it installed on a desktop with a different wifi card and was able to download it that way and then copy it to the flash drive I use with my laptop that uses that same driver. Rolling Eyes for me too.

I also keep an ethernet cable or two on standby for just these occasions and would have gone that route if I needed to.
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 15:38    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:

LateAdopter wrote:

With the network wizard I can click: eth0 - Auto DHCP and it connects. I select keep the setting, but it does not connect at startup.

Note: Fatdog 800/810 Connects eth0 automatically, using the same kernel, without having to configure anything.

Thank you, both, for reporting this problem. I had been unaware of it. But I have found the reason for the problem!

Along with providing the above-mentioned SNS and NetWiz packages, I should also have provided the corresponding network_connect_update package, but failed to do so. I have now uploaded it as network_connect_update-20190309.

Please install it with the latest SNS and NetWiz packages from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952876#952876
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 20:57    Post subject:  

@ Richard/Phil:-

Now then; try this one on for size.

7 times out of 10, I would estimate, Bionicpup64 will auto-connect for me at boot. Doesn't matter whether I'm using SNS or Network Wizard. This is with ethernet, OK?

The remaining 30% of the time, it refuses point-blank to do so. I use a static IP, but even so, I have plenty of indicators. pWidgets Weather widget won't come on. Thunderbird auto-starts & minimises to the tray with Firetray; I get the 'failure to connect to the server' warning come up. I have PepperFlash set to auto-update at boot, using SFS's auto-update script; the notification doesn't appear. And so on....

We've recently switched to TalkTalk UK's faster fibre plan, which necessitated a new router. However, even with the old router, it was the same story; the only way I've found to get the thing to connect when this happens is to re-boot the router, followed by re-booting Bionicpup itself.

I'd suspect a local phone-line issue, were it not for the fact that Xenialpup64, also running on this same machine, always auto-connects at boot. Reliably, 100% of the time. So....

....what d'you reckon might be the cause? Due to the above statement, it has to be something in my Bionicpup64 install. (And no; the issue doesn't change when booting with 'pfix=ram' without a save-folder. It still won't connect. Everything else in BP64 works perfectly.....aside from this one annoying, intermittent issue.)

The only thing I can suggest is that it might be something to do with my Nvidia graphics card, because I've found that if I remove this item and run with the G5400's on-die UHD 630 graphics, this never happens. Bill (rcrsn51) and I hashed this over briefly a few weeks back, and in the end his opinion was that it simply sounded like an unfortunate IRQ timing issue conflict. At that time, I was using AutoDHCP, but was always getting a weird, 'non-existent' external IP address. It was Bill who suggested I try a static IP addy; as stated above, this works fine most of the time.....but not all the time.

This is brand-new hardware, BTW, less than 3 months old.

Mike. Wink

ozsouth

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2020, 21:53    Post subject:  

@MW - I switched to frisbee due to these issues - is slower but connects each time. My SNS is 23/2/19, so I should try Rerwin's 9/3/19 version.
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2020, 04:05    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
LateAdopter wrote:

Thank you, both, for reporting this problem. I had been unaware of it. But I have found the reason for the problem!

Along with providing the above-mentioned SNS and NetWiz packages, I should also have provided the corresponding network_connect_update package, but failed to do so. I have now uploaded it as network_connect_update-20190309.

Please install it with the latest SNS and NetWiz packages from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952876#952876

Hello rerwin
I installed the network_connect_update-20190309 on the copy of BP64 which already had the SNS and NetWiz updates, but there was no difference.

Sorry!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2020, 06:56    Post subject:  

ozsouth wrote:
@MW - I switched to frisbee due to these issues - is slower but connects each time. My SNS is 23/2/19, so I should try Rerwin's 9/3/19 version.

Hi, oz.

Hm. Frisbee, eh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always understood that Frisbee was only for wireless connections?

So you've had the same issues, have you? Huh. Ah, well; nice to know it isn't just me; I was beginning to think I was jinxed! Laughing

I'll try your suggestions. Thanks for the heads-up. Cheers.

Mike. Wink

ozsouth

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2020, 08:14    Post subject:  

@MW - with ethernet cable plugged in, with frisbee, turn off its wireless detection & restart dhcp. Should be OK (I'm posting via it).
Page 81 of 87 [1302 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: