(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Sep 2020, 10:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 75 of 87 [1305 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 04:58    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
bigpup wrote:
Is Steam now working?
I just did it and it runs for me.

Now I see why it didnt work for me : it's because I ran it from the terminal, but phil included LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE somewhere, so it works from the menu , and not from the terminal. Smile Anyway, that should solve the problem for now.

Other stuff :
Does samba still need python2 ? http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/samba.html It says only python3 is needed. So python2 can be given up. Actually, python2 has come to end of life. Which other programs need python2 ?

2 xdg stuff missing :
When I start steam for first time, it needs xdg-user-dir
When I install steamVR , steam needs xdg-icon-resource

hi linuxcbon
as it stands, bionicpup straddles the change from python2 to python3. when bionicpup was released the python3 version of samba was in beta and wouldn't build on bionicpup, so it came with python2.

i've no intention of retro fitting python3 samba into bionicpup (even if it builds now) as the update would probably be huge and would require a completely new iso. my time is quite limited at the moment and i would rather work on a new focal fossa pup (which will have python3) rather than a newer bionicpup iso.

I've fixed the steam.pet to grab python3 when it installs now so that windows games can work. Unity of command 2 (my favorite game BTW) doesn't have a linux port yet but the windows version is running nicely in steam.

i'll add those missing xdg utilities (although i haven't noticed any problems without them)

666philb

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 05:04    Post subject:  

for people having problems with the arrow keys and printscreen key doing the wrong thing. as peebee mentioned there was a change to libinput & libevdev in woofce and xorg now automatically generates everything. however it does sometimes get things wrong on some computers. as mentioned above you can usually fix it by manually adding the keycodes to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 05:18    Post subject: Re: Getting VB running in Bionicpup64
Subject description: virtualbox-6.0_6.0.14-133895~Ubuntu~bionic_amd64.deb

tirdoldog wrote:
I have installed the above package and built the kernel modules. They installed and are listed (lsmod). The sockets are listed in /dev. When I run virtualbox in a terminal, it returns the following error:

"You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox: error while loading shared libraries: VBoxGlobal.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Many different "*.so" library files are present in this directory but not that one and a search of the file system did not locate it elsewhere.

During boot up here is the related messages:
"Dec 15 16:42:55 puppypc21126 daemon.err kernel: udevd[4935]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 256 09': No such file or directory
Dec 15 16:42:55 puppypc21126 daemon.err kernel: udevd[4937]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 0 09': No such file or directory
Dec 15 16:42:55 puppypc21126 daemon.err kernel: udevd[4936]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 384 09': No such file or directory
Dec 15 16:42:55 puppypc21126 daemon.err kernel: udevd[4946]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 129 09': No such file or directory
Dec 15 16:42:55 puppypc21126 daemon.err kernel: udevd[4951]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 1 09': No such file or directory
Dec 15 16:42:55 puppypc21126 daemon.err kernel: udevd[5066]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 130 00': No such file or directory"

And after rebuilding to try to correct:
"Dec 15 16:56:51 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
Dec 15 16:56:51 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: VirtualBox services stopped.
Dec 15 16:56:55 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
Dec 15 16:56:55 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: VirtualBox kernel modules built.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.warn kernel: vboxdrv: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.debug kernel: vboxdrv: Found 4 processor cores
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.info kernel: vboxdrv: TSC mode is Invariant, tentative frequency 2693864327 Hz
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.debug kernel: vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 6.0.14 (interface 0x00290008)
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.err kernel: VBoxNetFlt: Successfully started.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.err kernel: VBoxNetAdp: Successfully started.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.err kernel: VBoxPciLinuxInit
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 kern.info kernel: vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: VirtualBox services started.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
Dec 15 16:57:24 puppypc21126 user.notice vboxdrv.sh: VirtualBox services started."

Any suggestions?

hi tirdoldog,

try running
Code:
rcvboxdrv setup

paulh177

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 05:37    Post subject:  

@philb666
philb666 wrote:

hi paulh177,
i can't check this myself at the moment as i'm on a limited internet connection. but now you've loaded xenial64s kernel look to see if there's
Code:
/lib/firmware/b43/lp0initvals15.fw

if there is, just copying that over when bionicpups kernel is loaded may fix it (or if not, copy the entire b43 folder)

Thanks Phil, I will try this out in the next couple of days & report back.
rockedge

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 16:42    Post subject:  

paulh177 wrote:
Time will tell if there are any incompatibilities.

Bionic should run blazing fast with the kernel Xenial64 7.5 4.9.58 & Xenial zdrv since the firmware fits the machine. You should see some good performance with Bionic in this configuration.
paulh177

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 17:31    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:

Bionic should run blazing fast with the kernel Xenial64 7.5 4.9.58 & Xenial zdrv since the firmware fits the machine. You should see some good performance with Bionic in this configuration.

heh Smile

I was also going to try one of your low-latency/RT kernels as I'll probably be running LMMS with a midi-controller on this machine ...
paulh177

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2020, 12:39    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:

Unfortunately I'm seeing some quite weird things with this combo.

The machine, apparently randomly, starts running the fan at full whack, then sort of "freezes" for a few seconds: if I'm typing, the input stops & the mouse freezes. But it also appears that it is still accepting input, as if I've continued to type, once the thing unfreezes, the buffer unloads everything I've typed while it was "frozen".

Plus my mouse is skittering all over the place with a life almost entirely of its own.

philb666 wrote:
Code:
/lib/firmware/b43/lp0initvals15.fw
if there is, just copying that over when bionicpups kernel is loaded may fix it (or if not, copy the entire b43 folder)

Sadly this doesn't fix it - tho that file is indeed there.

It looks like for the time being, what with one thing and another, I'll have to abandon Bionic64.

Crying or Very sad
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2020, 13:16    Post subject:  

@ Paul:-

Just an idea; unless you're on an extremely 'tight' budget, had you considered trying a wireless dongle, instead of constantly messing around with that god-awful B43 chip..?

They're usually a good way to get wireless working on older machines.....especially if you've been cursed with Broadcom hardware!

-------------------------------------

I can thoroughly recommend the TP-Link TL-WN725N 'nano'-sized dongle. Cheap as chips, and you can buy 'em just about anywhere. Just make sure you get the v2 version, as the chipset in the older v1 never really co-operated with Linux. The v2's chipset has been supported by the kernel since mid-2014. Despite its tiny size, it manages to pull in a strong signal from even mediocre routers, and has a darned good range, too.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/tl-wn725n/#qrcode

(A lot of us were getting boot issues with the supplied kernel in the early 'beta' stages of Bionicpup64. I tried out the Xenialpup64 kernel in my install, just for the hell of it, and found it worked really well. It was dead stable, too. Which is why I'm at a loss to explain the issues you're apparently suffering with....)

Mike. Wink

sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2020, 14:00    Post subject:
Subject description: wifi

Mike Walsh wrote:
..Just an idea; unless you're on an extremely 'tight' budget, had you considered trying a wireless dongle, instead of constantly messing around with that god-awful B43 chip..?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=atheros+wifi+pcie+half&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=atheros+wifi+pcie
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2020, 14:47    Post subject:  

I found an old BCM4312 adapter and put it in a Bionic64 machine.

I installed the firmware package attached. Remove the fake .gz extension and click-install it.

The adapter was detected by SNS and connected to my WiFi router. It worked fine on a brief test.
firmware-broadcom-b43_1.0_all.deb.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  firmware-broadcom-b43_1.0_all.deb.gz 
Filesize  141.97 KB 
Downloaded  57 Time(s) 
paulh177

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jan 2020, 06:31    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I found an old BCM4312 adapter and put it in a Bionic64 machine.
I installed the firmware package attached. Remove the fake .gz extension and click-install it. The adapter was detected by SNS and connected to my WiFi router. It worked fine on a brief test.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ok so this worked, I booted in and the damn wireless worked!

Thanks very much @rcrsn51

BUT (there's a happy ending to this btw) the whole machine was still a slug, with the cpu(s) being hogged by udevd at ~100% ...

so, wtf?

what the screendump of top doesn't show is the intermittent appearance of udevd running a subprocess of hid2hci

A quick google search of 'udevd' 'hid2hci' and 'cpu' threw up this thread on SE

The 43xx chip in my Dell has Bluetooth on (I never use BT), and this is what is causing the massive cpu usage; Someone who knows about kernel stuff + drivers ought to read that thread in detail (? @666philb, ? @rockedge ).

Not only do I never use BT, I didn't even know if it was enabled on my machine, so I rebooted & F2'd into setup, found it was enabled, disabled it & booted into Bionic once more..

Result: instant boot, instant wireless.

Thanks to all who've offered help & suggestions.

Let's hope this is the last problem nailed & I don't have to drop into this thread again except to praise ...

Oh, and this is posted from a very relaxed Bionic64 over wireless.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jan 2020, 09:00    Post subject:  

I checked my own BCM4312 setup and it doesn't show a Bluetooth device.

It may be that your machine has a separate internal BT adapter, possibly on the USB bus.

Run "lsusb". Does it list a BT device? Is it associated with Broadcom or another vendor?
paulh177

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan 2020, 05:39    Post subject:  

@rcrsn51
nope, no other BT devices on the machine;
hard to find out much about these old chipsets, but maybe they're different revisions, or maybe it's just a mystery.
paulh177

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2020, 07:46    Post subject: Qt5 & PyQt5 possible conflicts?  

Not sure of *all* the details here, & not sure how many people this might affect, & not sure it is only a Bionic64 issue, but it has been a head-scratcher here for a few days now.

It boils down to this:

In order to compile & run Carla (an audio application for - amongst other things - LMMS), I needed to install PyQt5.

However doing so revealed a conflict between the pre-installed Qt5 library builtins on Bionic64 and PyQt5 Qt5 libraries.

The symptom was being unable to run small Python script that utilised Matplotlib, which triggered the error:
Code:

QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "/usr/local/bin/platforms" ...

Cannot load library /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so:
(/usr/lib64/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5: symbol _ZN11QFontEngine14bitmapForGlyphEj6QFixedRK10QTransform version Qt_5_PRIVATE_API not defined in file libQt5Gui.so.5 with link time reference)

QLibraryPrivate::loadPlugin failed on "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so" :
"Cannot load library /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so:
(/usr/lib64/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5: symbol _ZN11QFontEngine14bitmapForGlyphEj6QFixedRK10QTransform version Qt_5_PRIVATE_API not defined in file libQt5Gui.so.5 with link time reference)"
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

(googling this will find dozens & dozens of people confused by the error, many with differing solutions because of a variety of different causes; this level of detail in the error is got by setting QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 btw)

If I uninstalled PyQt5, the Matplotlib script would run, but then Carla wouldn't.

I have devx & 32-bit compat sfss loaded, permanently btw. Unloading them did not clear the problem.
My default Python is 3.8.1, compiled and installed by me, but it will be the same for 3.6.x

A search for some of the mentioned offending libs reveals this:
Code:

root# find /usr /lib |grep libqxcb.so
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so

root# find /usr /lib |grep libqxcb.so|xargs ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9748 Mar 16  2018 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10520 Feb 26  2019 /usr/lib/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15648 Jan 15 11:57 /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so

root# find /usr /lib |grep libQt5XcbQpa.so.5
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5.9
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5.9.4
/usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5
/usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5.9
/usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5.9.5

root# echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/opt/java/bin

root# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/jre1.8.0_231/lib/i386:/opt/jre1.8.0_231/lib/i386/client

So as we can see, there are multiple versions of various libs dotted about the place, and my assumption was that the PyQt5 libs probably needed to take precedence.

After a lot of false starts and trailing around on StackOverflow, I came upon this helpful thread, specifically the answer given by "bossbarber"

The clue here is the order in which the lib paths are searched. As you can see on my system, the builtins are located at the top of the order of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If however I reset my $LD_LIBRARY PATH to
Code:
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/lib:/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/jre1.8.0_231/lib/i386:/opt/jre1.8.0_231/lib/i386/client

Everything (Carla, compiles, Python matplotlib scripts) now worked.

Whether this will lead to a further conflict down the line with a pure Qt5 app remains to be seen.
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2020, 10:39    Post subject:  

I have been having all kinds of problems with python3. I am working with object recognition and deep machine learning and the project
https://github.com/pliablepixels/zmeventnotification

as soon as I attempted to build and use python 3.8 everything broke and just limps along.
Page 75 of 87 [1305 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: