URL of forum posts

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
MochiMoppel

URL of forum posts

#1 Post by MochiMoppel »

This one?

Admin note: I screwed up when I split this thread from its original thread. I meant to start with this post. :oops:

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Mochi, but no, i don't recall that being the thread I linked to. I seem to recall it had more specific detail about getting jwm to respond to a different root menu.

My link suggests http://ns2.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 666#373114 but I get a 404.

MochiMoppel

#3 Post by MochiMoppel »

Are you sure? Identical post ID (p=373114) and it refers to multiple root menus. Would be a huge coincidence if it wasn't the post you are looking for.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Thanks - you're probably right (as always :-) )

I am possibly experiencing an internal RAM shortage (me - not the PC)

Still - co-incidences do actually occur - I quite often discover I have asked the same question twice.
:roll:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Greengeek, how did you come up with that URL? A number of people have posted links to posts in the forum, with URLs that are bizarrely long and I've never figured out where they got those URLs. Look at the URL MochiMoppel posted here and you'll see that all he did was remove the extra stuff from the URL in your post here. How did that extra stuff get there?

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Flash wrote:Greengeek, how did you come up with that URL? A number of people have posted links to posts in the forum, with URLs that are bizarrely long and I've never figured out where they got those URLs.
Good question. All I do is to rightclick the tiny box that shows at the top of a post - then I choose "copy link address".

It seems that after a thread has been idle for while that link address changes to one of the crazy long ones - I have always assumed that the posts were being transferred to an archive server of some sort - hence the "ns2".

Now that I look back at that thread that Mochi pinpointed I can't find any "link address" that matches the format of the long one. Go figure. Maybe it was just a temporary link during a period of backups or recovery phase??

Next time I spot something like that I will delve a bit deeper.
Attachments
PostLink.jpg
(29.44 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
CopyLinkAs.jpg
(30.05 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

I do wonder if the "sid=" indicates that the longer url was thrown up by a google search or forum search...

"sid" suggests "search id" ???
Attachments
sid_example.jpg
(41.63 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

greengeek

#8 Post by greengeek »

Here is a snapshot of what came up when I clicked on the "cached" icon under one of the google search items. (I had to split the image to avoid screen scroll overflow)

Maybe this is a clue to how the long url got picked up in the first place - but I didn't think I was in the habit of picking up thread links from google caches. Oh well, I will keep my eyes peeled.
Attachments
GoogleCache1.jpg
(35.06 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
GoogleCache2.jpg
(8 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, GG.

Honestly, you should know better than to question Google's behaviour. Big Bruvva knows best.....haven't ya figured that one out yet?

You're not supposed to query what they do; it's all for your ('their') own good after all! You just go along with what you're handed, and behave the way you're expected to behave.

Like a good little sheep......

(You want to try getting a sensible answer out of anybody on any of the Google Product Groups or Forums. All they ever seem to do is keep asking the same questions, over and over again.....in as many different ways as they can think of..!!)

Little wonder I gave Google's search engine the 2 fingers, and went with DuckDuckGo instead.....though I do still use the Drive. (Mainly because it's fast, and fuss-free compared to MediaFire.....and I've managed, somehow, to wangle free storage increases form the basic 10 GB up to 30 GB. I still can't figure out how that came about, but.....you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, do ya?)

Mike. :wink: