QUICKSTART: Installing VirtualBox in TahrPup 6.0.5 64Bit

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
paulh177

QUICKSTART: Installing VirtualBox in TahrPup 6.0.5 64Bit

#1 Post by paulh177 »

I've just installed Oracle VirtualBox 5.2.18 on my TahrPup 6.0.5 64-bit, so that I can run Win7-64 in order to run Lightroom 4.4.

While it was reasonably straightforward, there were a couple of glitches that might be worth making public if anyone else happens
to want to do the same.

(Or you might want to read all the Oracle installation docs first, which I didn't. Life, frankly, is too short for reading the docs.)

Cut to the chase and read my SUMMARY at the end if you can't tolerate my turgid prose. Masochists, however, can just read on.

1. The standard repos (via the Puppy installer, Petget) don't seem to contain the 64-bit binaries, only the 32.
I expect this could be solved by some dicking about with the package files.

so ...

2. I downloaded the latest version of VBox from here: www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
as a .deb.
This installed instantly with no problems and added a VirtualBox entry in the "Utility" menu.

3. Clicking on the menu entry, the VM setup gui ran and I created a VM accepting all the defaults. So far so good.
The next thing to do is start the VM (indicated by large friendly green arrow upon which you click).

This immediately errored out telling me the virtual device driver wasn't installed or running, and that I needed
to run /sbin/vboxconfig .

OK, so, open a console window and run that then ...

4. Error - needs Kernel headers to compile device driver.
SO, head over to NLUUG or IBIBLIO and get the kernel headers:
distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/kernel_sources-3.14.54-tahr64.sfs

Make sure you get the right headers for the kernel you're running - uname -a should reveal this intelligence for you.

Tell Puppy to load this SFS (Setup/Startup or Setup/Load SFS On The Fly) and have another go.

Error - "failure "Cannot change group ${GROUP} for device $DEVICE""
Hmm, this took a bit of thought.

Having a look at /sbin/vboxconfig (it's actually a link to /usr/lib/virtualbox/postinst-common.sh),
it seems that the offending script is /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh

Its trying to add a vboxusers group to /etc/group, but fails.
Puppy's addgroup and groupadd just don't work it seems.

Instead, I simply edited /etc/group and added the line
vboxusers::1001:root,spot,fido, reran /sbin/vboxconfig and boom!
it ran thru ok, and we can then start the VM in the GUI.

One addtional tripwire - if you want to be able to access your local hard drive (and possibly other things) you will need "VirtualBox Guest Additions".
I got mine from here: download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
I had to burn it to CD (it's an ISO file) before I could access it, which was annoying.

OK, SUMMARY:

1. Download latest virtual box from www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
as a .deb.

2. Install the .deb.

1a. Download a "Guest Additions" ISO from download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
Select the subdirectory that matches the VirtualBox version you have just installed.

2a. Burn the ISO to CD/DVD

3. Download suitable kernel headers SFS from
distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/
Select the right headers file for your kernel - uname -a in a console will tell you the kernel you're running.

4. Edit your /etc/group file to add the following line:
"vboxusers::1001:root,spot,fido"

5. Open a console and run /sbin/vboxconfig
It should complete with no errors.

6. Run the VirtualBox setup from the Puppy Utility menu, create a virtual machine, and then start it.

If you want to be able to access local (i.e. real hard disks on the real host machine), you''ll need to install the Guest Additions CD via the VBOX/Devices menu.

The rest is up to you :)

hikohan

Thanks!! This way helps!!

#2 Post by hikohan »

Really works!!

user group and kernel sfs, dev sfs loaded first!!

Thanks for your share!.
(remember enable efi if w10 boot.