How to make my browser show Asian characters? (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
mini-jaguar

How to make my browser show Asian characters? (solved)

#1 Post by mini-jaguar »

I can see most European alphabets and diacritics, not perfectly but with very few wrong characters, most Cyrillic scripts too. I don't do anything to see this, comes up automatically.

But when I want to see Chinese, Hindi and so on, all I see is squares with a bunch of numbers in them.

I have attempted changing the text encoding options in browsers, doesn't seem to have any effect...
Last edited by mini-jaguar on Mon 03 Sep 2018, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Subito Piano

#2 Post by Subito Piano »

Have you tried the Puppy Package manager?

MENU>SETUP>PUPPY PACKAGE MANGER

...then type "fonts" in the find window (without the quotation marks, of course)

It looks like one of the "fonts-arphic" packages might be what you need for Chinese, and if you don't see anything there for Hindi, perhaps the fonts-indic package will work. Try installing. There might be other packages that have the characters you need, if not, post back.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

The fonts are not regulated by the browser settings... they 'tap into' the fonts installed in the computer. So one needs to download a font and put it into the right place.

For the place tryto open /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF

As for where to get the fonts try Chinese,

and Hindi.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mini-jaguar

#4 Post by mini-jaguar »

Subito Piano wrote:Have you tried the Puppy Package manager?

MENU>SETUP>PUPPY PACKAGE MANGER

...then type "fonts" in the find window (without the quotation marks, of course)

It looks like one of the "fonts-arphic" packages might be what you need for Chinese, and if you don't see anything there for Hindi, perhaps the fonts-indic package will work. Try installing. There might be other packages that have the characters you need, if not, post back.
There was one called "Indic Scripts", that did the trick. The PPM can be set up for different repositories, that's why the different results.

mini-jaguar

#5 Post by mini-jaguar »

8Geee wrote:The fonts are not regulated by the browser settings... they 'tap into' the fonts installed in the computer. So one needs to download a font and put it into the right place.

For the place tryto open /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF

As for where to get the fonts try Chinese,

and Hindi.

Regards
8Geee
The first site seems legit, the second has .exe files.

I also tried downloading two Devanagari ttf fonts before trying the PPM, it wasn't enough apparently, as a variety of fonts is needed (for different sizes I suppose).

Subito Piano

#6 Post by Subito Piano »

8Geee is correct, meaning his method is the other way to get fonts; that is, you can search for fonts online (ttf or otf), and download them to your /usr/share/fonts folder. They should show up after restarting your browser or other program. Perhaps fonts.google.com will have what you kneed, otherwise search for "Hindi fonts" and "chinese fonts." I've actually had to search and download Chinese fonts before, as we have international students at our school.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

TyroBGinner

#7 Post by TyroBGinner »

How can it be that Asian characters aren't compatible with a browser in puppy linux? I thought Asians loved puppies!
Win10 and lovin' it!