How to read LS-120 SuperDisk?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
lmart

How to read LS-120 SuperDisk?

#1 Post by lmart »

2 questions:

#1 What version of PuppyLinux, if any, can read/write to the LS-120 SuperDisk via a SCM Microsystems, Inc. E-USB ATA Bridge?
-or -
#2 Is there a site with the specific Linux driver for the SCM Microsystems, Inc. E-USB ATA Bridge and, what is the exact step-by-step guide to install it?

Background:

After a recent death in the family, we received >100 LS-120 SuperDisks marked as "Genealogical", "Historical Papers" and, "Historical Images". We realize this is old technology. We would simply like to move the documents from LS-120 SuperDisks to an external HDD. Thank you.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

So you have some kind of drive, this SCM Microsystems, Inc. E-USB ATA Bridge, that this SuperDisk media fits in, that could read the SuperDisk if it had the right software? What have you tried so far?

puppyluvr

#3 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
From what I have read on the internet and my experience with similar types of drives, it should be Plug and Play.
Puppy should see it as a USB floppy Drive....
I have several similar iomega drives, Puppy mounted and read them fine.

#Edit..
As a matter of fact I was able to boot from them...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

lmart

#4 Post by lmart »

Thanks for your reply Flash.

Tried numerous things/OSes.

Win: Each version from XP to Win10. They recognize the drive but will not r/w. I do not know if Win had a driver. Google searches were unproductive.

Linux: Several distros, going back 4-5 LiveCD releases, including Ubuntu, Knoppix and several rescueCDs. They recognize the drive but will not r/w. Made similar post on Ubuntu, but no replies.

If memory serves me, he moved from WinMe or Vista to PuppyLinux several years back and, PuppyLinux would r/w to the drive. However, I do not know which version. Thus, the basis for my question.

If someone can help with the PuppyLinux version that supported r/w to that device, I'll just create a LiveCD and rip the files to an external HDD.

Can you help Flash?

lmart

#5 Post by lmart »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
From what I have read on the internet and my experience with similar types of drives, it should be Plug and Play.
Puppy should see it as a USB floppy Drive....
I have several similar iomega drives, Puppy mounted and read them fine.

#Edit..
As a matter of fact I was able to boot from them...
puppyluvr,
Thanks for your reply. I also read that it should be plug/play ... but it isn't. What version of Puppy are you referencing puppyluvr?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

What is the computer your are trying to do this on?
Specs if you know them?
Make and model? We can look it up.

That will affect what Puppy to try and use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

lmart

#7 Post by lmart »

bigpup wrote:What is the computer your are trying to do this on?
Specs if you know them?
Make and model? We can look it up.

That will affect what Puppy to try and use.
Thanks bigpup for replying.

Can try with 3 different laptops.
#1 ThinkPad x86 w/ 4g ram
#2 Toshiba Satellite x86 w/ 4g ram
#3 Lenovo amd64 w/ 4g ram

perdido

Re: ?How to read LS-120 SuperDisk?

#8 Post by perdido »

lmart wrote:2 questions:

#1 What version of PuppyLinux, if any, can read/write to the LS-120 SuperDisk via a SCM Microsystems, Inc. E-USB ATA Bridge?
-or -
#2 Is there a site with the specific Linux driver for the SCM Microsystems, Inc. E-USB ATA Bridge and, what is the exact step-by-step guide to install it?
That ata bridge is an old piece of hardware, pre 2004.
Might want to try windows xp or windows 2000

The Ls 120 should have a 40-pin connector
Some reading suggests it can plug into an IDE connector on the motherboard and be picked up as a floppy - but - the
superdrive has to be plugged into IDE1 and set as master. IDE1 is usually silkscreened on the motherboard or IDE controller.

lmart

Re: ?How to read LS-120 SuperDisk?

#9 Post by lmart »

perdido wrote:
lmart wrote:2 questions:

-or -
That ata bridge is an old piece of hardware, pre 2004.
Might want to try windows xp or windows 2000

The Ls 120 should have a 40-pin connector
Some reading suggests it can plug into an IDE connector on the motherboard and be picked up as a floppy - but - the
superdrive has to be plugged into IDE1 and set as master. IDE1 is usually silkscreened on the motherboard or IDE controller.

perdido, thanks for your reply.

XP recognizes the device, but will not r/w
Did not try win2k, and may not have the cd

The Imation drive is externa., has what looks to be a scsi adapter, which connects to a usb device, then to the laptop.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

From your reply to my question above, it seems you haven't tried any of the Puppy Linuxes. I'd say, boot any Puppy CD or DVD you happen to have and see if it will read the data. You won't have to install anything and if it won't work, no harm done.

How much trouble would it be for you to plug the SCSI cord coming from the drive, straight into a motherboard?

lmart

#11 Post by lmart »

Flash wrote:From your reply to my question above, it seems you haven't tried any of the Puppy Linuxes. I'd say, boot any Puppy CD or DVD you happen to have and see if it will read the data. You won't have to install anything and if it won't work, no harm done.

How much trouble would it be for you to plug the SCSI cord coming from the drive, straight into a motherboard?
Flash, thanks for your reply.

To answer your reply in reverse order, I am hesitant to dismantle my laptop(s) to attempt a direct connection to the motherboard.

As of this post, my hope was that someone knew which release would r/w the LS-120.

My attempts so far:

Win: wiped my laptop HDD and reinstalled WinXP, WinMe, Vista and Win7, all can identify the drive, none can r/w.
Linux: created the following Ubuntu LiveCDs, all can identify the drive, none can r/w.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx), Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat), Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin), Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal), Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail), Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr), Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn), Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet), Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf), Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus), Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak), Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus), Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark), Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver), Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish)

Again, my hope was that someone knew which release of PuppyLinux would r/w the LS-120.

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

You may need to find a Mac user who still has a working LS-120 drive and can transfer the files for you.

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

is this drive formatted for HFS Plus or HFS+ ?

lmart

#14 Post by lmart »

rcrsn51 wrote:You may need to find a Mac user who still has a working LS-120 drive and can transfer the files for you.
rcrsn51, thanks ... Will try

lmart

#15 Post by lmart »

rockedge wrote:is this drive formatted for HFS Plus or HFS+ ?
rockedge, thanks ... No idea how it's formatted

Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

You might want to have a look at this thread here.
I haven't read it fully (otropogo did tend to go on a bit...) but unsurprisingly you may need a 3 series or earlier.

BTW I used http://wellminded.net63.net/ to find the thread.

lmart

#17 Post by lmart »

Keef wrote:You might want to have a look at this thread here.
I haven't read it fully (otropogo did tend to go on a bit...) but unsurprisingly you may need a 3 series or earlier.

BTW I used http://wellminded.net63.net/ to find the thread.
Keef, thank you for your reply.

A starting point ... v4, then work my way backwards.

RetroTechGuy

#18 Post by RetroTechGuy »

If you find something to read the disks, copy all the data off them -- and migrate away from that old hardware. Don't let your data get locked into an old media, that is no longer supported.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

lmart

#19 Post by lmart »

RetroTechGuy wrote:If you find something to read the disks, copy all the data off them -- and migrate away from that old hardware. Don't let your data get locked into an old media, that is no longer supported.
RetroTechGuy, yes, thanks

lmart

#20 Post by lmart »

puppy-2.16.1 livecd will not r/w
puppy-3.01 livecd will not r/w