Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 14 Nov 2018, 11:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Is Precise 5.7.1 the new standard puppy for old hw?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nic007

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 07:10    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
So I was intrigued with the idea of Fred's Firefox 60+ running on this and I discovered an issue that maybe you guys can help me solve.

What I am trying to do is set it up so that I can get a dialog which asks me whether or not I want to save on exit. Of course, on more modern pups, there is a checkbox in the second tab of the Puppy Event Manager where you choose 0 to disable periodic upgrade and then check the box to enable the choice of whether to save on exit. But precise doesn't have that.

Mavrothal's update makes it support save folders (Yeah), but it also breaks compatibility with shinobar's pupsaveconfig (which doesn't take save folders into account), which is the way that I usually accomplished getting a choice of whether to save on exit in earlier puppies.

I tried modifying /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown as described here. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911 but that was also incompatible with creating a save folder and on 1st exit forced me to create a savefile after I chose creating a save folder.

Ideally, any solution would also deal with the .XLOADED file issue as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65016&start=15

My intent when I started was to remove Seamonkey and Flashplayer (and maybe Abiword and Gnumeric too), and remaster it with a little script that installs Fred's firefox in /mnt/home. If it worked and seemed useful, then share it.

Can anybody help? Marothal??

If I understand correctly, Marothals application allows you to create a savefolder and update that savefolder at any time you like? In that case - If booting from HDD, make pmedia-ataflash in menu.lst (presuming you are using grub4dos as bootloader > change the savings interval to 0 in event manager. Savings to a savefile will now not take place automatically but you should still get the dialog box at exit, choose no not to create a savefile.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 10:30    Post subject:  

Just confirmed that FreeOffice 2016 will run in Precise 5.7.1! So it's an option too.
Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Sparky 4.7 (32-bit), Emmabuntus 3.1.02, AntiX 17.2 (32-bit), Bunsen Labs Helium, CentOS 6.10, LXLE 14.04.5, Pardus 17.4, VLocity 7.2, CrunchBang Plus Plus and Mint Debian 3.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 11:01    Post subject:  

On a somewhat related note, I'm running the basic 5.28 on this old Asus EEE 900, and also on a couple old laptops which still have WinXP on them...

The real struggle for all of them is browser overload (e.g. Firefox eats all available RAM, and sometimes crashes X -- last time I saw a browser crash a Linux system was NyetScrape, under Debian 1.3... But NyetScrape was the predecessor of Firefox, wasn't it?... Wink )

I have experimented with Precise, and like its light touch. Also plan to try the new Xenial and see how it behaves on my various older machines.

a_salty_dogg

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 16:46    Post subject:  

@ Colonel Panic,

I should have mentioned earlier that I have not tried updating Palemoon beyond version 27.9.4 in Precise 5.71 Retro, so can't comment whether the new version would either install or work.
Based on disappointing experience of a trial update to v 28.0.0 in Xenial, I decided to leave all my other Puppies as they are, happily running the old version, until the dev has had chance to try fixing the new one's compatibilty with the YouTube site.
Also nothing seems to have been done to make it any more compatible with "legacy" Firefox add-ons (which is the main drawback of the browser, imo, and the reason it can't ever be used as the sole browser in any distro) so saw no advantage at all to updating it across my kennel as yet.

Older Palemoon versions are still available here if you'd like to give 27.9.4 a try?...
ftp://archive.palemoon.org/
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 02:43    Post subject:  

a_salty_dogg wrote:
@ Colonel Panic,

I should have mentioned earlier that I have not tried updating Palemoon beyond version 27.9.4 in Precise 5.71 Retro, so can't comment whether the new version would either install or work.
Based on disappointing experience of a trial update to v 28.0.0 in Xenial, I decided to leave all my other Puppies as they are, happily running the old version, until the dev has had chance to try fixing the new one's compatibilty with the YouTube site.
Also nothing seems to have been done to make it any more compatible with "legacy" Firefox add-ons (which is the main drawback of the browser, imo, and the reason it can't ever be used as the sole browser in any distro) so saw no advantage at all to updating it across my kennel as yet.

Older Palemoon versions are still available here if you'd like to give 27.9.4 a try?...
ftp://archive.palemoon.org/

Hi,

Thanks, but I’m trying to keep my savefile small at the moment so I can fit it and those of one or two other Puppies on a 16 GB flash drive (having had a couple of bad experiences with Precise not recognising savefiles on my hard drive). If I go for another browser in Precise on top of Firefox 61, it will probably be a very lightweight one like Netsurf.

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Sparky 4.7 (32-bit), Emmabuntus 3.1.02, AntiX 17.2 (32-bit), Bunsen Labs Helium, CentOS 6.10, LXLE 14.04.5, Pardus 17.4, VLocity 7.2, CrunchBang Plus Plus and Mint Debian 3.
a_salty_dogg

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 11:37    Post subject:  

A way around the problem of multiple browsers filling up savefiles (if you can't use .sfs equivalent files instead) is to symlink them all, including their profile folders, to "home" directory, then all the Puppies installed on any given drive can use them in common, and with up-to-date personal settings when you switch between Puppies too!

Also far easier when you want to update to a new browser version, only have to do it once!
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018, 13:59    Post subject:  

a_salty_dogg wrote:
A way around the problem of multiple browsers filling up savefiles (if you can't use .sfs equivalent files instead) is to symlink them all, including their profile folders, to "home" directory, then all the Puppies installed on any given drive can use them in common, and with up-to-date personal settings when you switch between Puppies too!

Also far easier when you want to update to a new browser version, only have to do it once!

Sounds OK at first (and it's certainly imaginative), but I can see a problem if things go wrong. I've just had a version of Firefox which updated to an interface in Hungarian, rendering it effectively unusable if like me you're not a Hungarian speaker. If you keep a separate home directory for each OS or Puppy,, things that go wrong only affect that one, whereas if your Puppies all share a home directory they will all be affected.

dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018, 16:32    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
dancytron wrote:
So I was intrigued with the idea of Fred's Firefox 60+ running on this and I discovered an issue that maybe you guys can help me solve.

What I am trying to do is set it up so that I can get a dialog which asks me whether or not I want to save on exit. Of course, on more modern pups, there is a checkbox in the second tab of the Puppy Event Manager where you choose 0 to disable periodic upgrade and then check the box to enable the choice of whether to save on exit. But precise doesn't have that.

Mavrothal's update makes it support save folders (Yeah), but it also breaks compatibility with shinobar's pupsaveconfig (which doesn't take save folders into account), which is the way that I usually accomplished getting a choice of whether to save on exit in earlier puppies.

I tried modifying /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown as described here. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911 but that was also incompatible with creating a save folder and on 1st exit forced me to create a savefile after I chose creating a save folder.

Ideally, any solution would also deal with the .XLOADED file issue as described here:

My intent when I started was to remove Seamonkey and Flashplayer (and maybe Abiword and Gnumeric too), and remaster it with a little script that installs Fred's firefox in /mnt/home. If it worked and seemed useful, then share it.

If I understand correctly, Marothals application allows you to create a savefolder and update that savefolder at any time you like? In that case - If booting from HDD, make pmedia-ataflash in menu.lst (presuming you are using grub4dos as bootloader > change the savings interval to 0 in event manager. Savings to a savefile will now not take place automatically but you should still get the dialog box at exit, choose no not to create a savefile.

The one thing that it doesn't do is exit without saving. There is no dialog box to choose "no", it just says "Saving. . . " and saves it. That's the only missing piece.

However, there is a big button on the front of my computer Smile which will exit without saving (probably ought to run sync first).
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018, 18:08    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
nic007 wrote:
dancytron wrote:

The one thing that it doesn't do is exit without saving. There is no dialog box to choose "no", it just says "Saving. . . " and saves it. That's the only missing piece.

However, there is a big button on the front of my computer Smile which will exit without saving (probably ought to run sync first).

Okay, so you don't want Puppy to save automatically at exit. Delete or edit out the "save session" part in the /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018, 19:15    Post subject:  

My opinion on this one?

Both Slacko 570 and/or Precise 571 are ideal for older hardware.....especially 'Linux-friendly' ones like ye olde Dell lappie (15 yrs old.....and counting!)

I ran 571 for at least 18 months on the Dell (2.6 GHz P4; 1.5 GB RAM; 64 GB PATA/IDE SSD) quite happily, with no issues to speak of. For the last year I've been equally happy with 570; both run Fred's FF61-portable, and the final 32-bit Chrome 48; Thunderbird 60; Libre Office 3.5.3, or my own package of FreeOffice 2016; jlst's MPV, and GXine 5.9.5 for media playback; the final Linux AdobeReader (a 'biggie', I know, but I've grown kinda fond of it).....and sundry other bits'n'bobs, including XVidCap, PupSnap, Openshot and Avidemux.

In fact, this thread has prompted me to consider setting up another 'permanent' USB drive install of 571, though somewhat more 'minimal' than my hard-drive Precise.....all of my Pups are currently hard drive frugals, running save-files (which I find quicker & easier to maintain than save-folders, even though the latter are more flexible.)

Mike. Wink

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2018, 02:17    Post subject:  

a_salty_dogg wrote:
Hello Colonel Panic,

Palemoon ran perfectly OOTB in Precise 5.71 Retro on my old faithful Dell P4 (it's twice as old as your machine, btw Smile ), downloaded and installed "manually" from the tarball at Palemoon.org.
Posting from it now!
Don't recall any missing dependencies found, and I've now been using it as my default browser in Precise for a very long time without problem, though I can't speak for your "Precise 5.71 Large", because I've never heard of that variety before (a remaster by someone?) nor can I locate any reference to it through the Puppy search engines.

Also watchdog's Light 49 "Racy tweak" .pet from here installs and runs fine in Precise (with only the addition of "apulse-0.1.11-i686-wz.pet" needed to get audio working in webpages), but I guess if your machine's got enough "oomph" to run a recent Firefox build smoothly, you won't be needing that! Wink

Just an update to say that I have now tried Palemoon 28 in Precise 5.7.1 and it runs very well, so thanks for the suggestion.

Video playback sound levels are still very low though for some reason, which is fine for times when you don't want to disturb the neighbours but is still puzzling.

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2018, 11:13    Post subject:  

About low sound levels.

First check the levels in the Retrovol mixer.
Make sure PCM is selected and turned up.

If sound is still low.

Try this:
Add a pre-amp to ALSA.

I made this Puppy version of asound.conf
Try adding this asound.conf file in /etc
Reboot computer.
( may have to reboot twice to get it loaded and changes to Retrovol mixer)
After reboot, you will find an additional control in your mixer (Retrovol) called “Pre-Amp”.
Adjust as needed.

Here is something concerning low sound volume in Linux
http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/adding-an-alsa-software-pre-amp-to-fix-low-sound-levels/
asound.conf.gz
Description  REMOVE THE .GZ from the name to turn it into a working script file. (added .gz so it would post to the forum)
gz

Download 
Filename  asound.conf.gz 
Filesize  179 Bytes 
Downloaded  20 Time(s) 

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2018, 02:41    Post subject:  

Thanks for that bigpup. I'll give it a try the next time I use Precise (I've mislaid my disk at the moment but I'm sure it hasn't gone far).

Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 11:21; edited 1 time in total
watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2018, 06:15    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:

Just an update to say that I have now tried Palemoon 28 in Precise 5.7.1 and it runs very well, so thanks for the suggestion.

Palemoon 28 also works in wary-racy with glibc219tweak:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1002296#1002296

I report here for those guys who could be interested.
Page 2 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: