Can't increase personal storage

Using applications, configuring, problems
koulaxizis

Can't increase personal storage

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

Hello!

I have a Xenialpup64 7.5 frugal install on my 64GB USB drive.

After the first shutdown, I created a 4GB pupsave file. Now I want to increase it...

I choose to increase it by 4 more GB, I reboot the system, looks like it runs the process, but then I'm still with the previous size, nothing happens!

The USB drive is empty, so this ins't the case. Any ideas on that?

Thanks in advance for your time. :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

If the drive is fat32 formatted, the maximum file size is limited to 4GB.

koulaxizis

#3 Post by koulaxizis »

nic007 wrote:If the drive is fat32 formatted, the maximum file size is limited to 4GB.
Hmmm... I though so. :roll: Should I format it to ext2/3/4?
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

koulaxizis wrote: Hmmm... I though so. :roll: Should I format it to ext2/3/4?
I always do ..

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

I have lots of success with ext4 on USB drives

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

You do know that reformatting the USB-Stick to Linux Ext (any) will delete your current Puppy & SaveFile.

Since you have start from scratch, may I suggest partitioning the USB-stick: (a) first Fat32 partition, flagged as bootable to hold grub4dos and menu.lst (needs less than 100 mbs) + whatever additional amount of space you may want to store files you may want to transfer to a Windows system; (b) the balance of the drive as Linux 3 or 4. Rockedge has had success with 4, I with 3. But although some fans have had success with 2, others have reported that Linux Ext2 is more prone to becoming corrupt.

Alternatively, what you could do is boot "pfix=RAM". There are other ways to boot "pfix=RAM", but the easiest is if your bootloader is grub4dos, your initial boot-screen will show a listing for "Advanced Menu". Select that, then select the listing which has "RAM Mode" in its title. This will boot your Puppy without using the SaveFile. Open Menu>System>gparted. [When a SaveFile/Folder is used, its partition is mounted, and gparted can't work with mounted partitions]. You can now RESIZE THE PARTITION and format the newly allocated space as Linux Ext (any). Close gparted.

While still in Puppy booted in RAM-Mode, mount both your new and old partitions. In the new Partition, right-click an empty space, select New>Directory and give it a unique name, such as Xen2. Left-Click that folder to open it, then copy all the Xenialpup64 files [initrd.gz, vmlinuz and any file ending in .sfs] including the SaveFile, into it. Then run Menu>System>Grub4dos, select the first partition as the location to write to. On bootup you'll have two listings for Xenialpup64. Select the one in the "xen2" folder on your second partition. You can now delete your Xenialpup64 files/folder on the 1st partition and re-run grub4dos.

mikesLr

p.s. If you're using any APPLICATION.SFSes or applications which run from a folder on /mnt/home, also copy or move them to your 2nd partition.

sickpig

similar situation

#7 Post by sickpig »

Hi Mikesir,

Thank you for clear instructions. I am going to attempt this. Just one question before I do, if you may, where will I find the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and other sfs files mentioned by you.

I did a pfind but dont see them in the system files on the running instance. Would they be in the save file?

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

sickpig,

As a new user of this forum we understand you do not know better.
Your question will be answered, but start your own topic about your issue.

This topic is talking about koulaxizis problem.

If we start talking about two different computers and two different installs of Puppy, it gets really, really, really confusing for all.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sickpig

#9 Post by sickpig »

Hi Bigpup,

Thanks for pointing out. I might have an ocd for sticking to the rules :) shall do the same going forward.

And Happy new 2019!

Cheers!

foxpup

#10 Post by foxpup »

koulaxizis wrote:
nic007 wrote:If the drive is fat32 formatted, the maximum file size is limited to 4GB.
Hmmm... I though so. :roll: Should I format it to ext2/3/4?
Hello koulaxizis.

This is not the way pupsave is supposed to be used. You should use sfs etc. Find more info on this thread eg: Keep your savefile slim and healthy

Reformatting to ext - I personnaly prefer ext3 - gives you also the possibility of using a pupsavefolder instead of a file.
A folder can expand freely to occupy the free space on the drive it is on.