3%
Macpup
3%
Fluppy
3%

Total votes: 66

MrToad

#16 Post by MrToad »

Fluppy 013 has been my favourite for ages now. It runs well on my ancient Sony Vaio PCG-FX301 laptop. Aside from the browser limitations due to having only 256 MB of RAM (!) the combination does everything I want, and does it smoothly and beautifully.

A lot of love seems to have gone into Fluppy 013. I often wonder what Jemimah could have done next.

I really like Carolina and Wary too, but Fluppy is definitely number one for me.

mikeslr

Slacko 5.7

#17 Post by mikeslr »

Well, I've finally voted and for Slacko. It was difficult to choose. Takenp has advised that the choices could not be amended. Although Xenialpup64 has been my default OS almost since it was published, and Tahpup64 for a couple of years previously, during all that time Slacko 5.7 has been the second most frequent OS I've booted into. The "Ubuntu-Puppies" may offer more choices in applications, and Saluki/Carolina may have provided a more elegant GUI and ease in expanding, Slacko 5.7 has proven to be the most consistent "Work-horse": the OS to boot into if you just wanted to get things done. 01micko's creation has passed the test of time. And thanks to the efforts of other fans such as mistfire, 8Geee, festus and MIke Walsh, it continues to be a viable alternative even today.

But my final reason for voting for "Slacko" was that despite the forgoing, the votes previously cast did not reflect what I considered the most significant factor. An operating system is merely the means by which you can accomplish real-world tasks on a computer. Slacko 5.7 has done that for five years on all but one of the 8 or so computers I've worked with [a Toshiba Satellite which rarely runs anything being the exception]. Indeed, it has outlasted 3 computers.

mikesLr

Volhout

Best Puppy ever

#18 Post by Volhout »

I voted for Lucid puppy, since it ran my business for almost 4 years (on 5 computers). And even until last year it was kept up to date.
There definitely has gone a lot of energy and love into this puppy. And I could get everything to work (with help of the forum...compliments for that support). Even WIFI with a worked using windows drivers.....

A good second was the Slacko series from 01Mick0, with 5.7 being my favorite. It had good out of the box compatibility with my newer hardware and was rock stable. The my own business was stopped, so my use of Linux was just personal use from that time on....

I have to admit that Tahr is also a well maintained puppy, and for that pure fact it would share 3'rd place, together with fatdog, the puppy that rizes from it's ashes every so many years for 10 years now.

In 4'th place for me would be Pupeee 4.31 (predecessor of fluppy) for eeePC's, that I took on many trips and never failed me, until the netbook died hardwarewise.

That's my vote...

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

nic007 wrote:The answer to this question may be hardware related, ie. which Puppy works best on your machine.
I agree. I would probably have voted for Teenpup (later LegacyOS) had it been one of the options, or ttuuxx's Classic Pup, but neither will run on my current machine at all.

I don't think this should be confined only to recent Puppies. How about an oldie like PizzaPup (which I ran happily in 2008) or Deeper Thought, which I think came out the next year? Both looked good, were sparing of system resources and offered excellent functionality for the time. Then there was BoxPup, Fire Hydrant (I could go on).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

pp4mnklinux

XENIAL

#20 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

My vote goes to XENIAL PUP...

FASTER, HARDER..... SECURE

XENIAL 7.7 X64
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

takenp

#21 Post by takenp »

MrToad wrote: A lot of love seems to have gone into Fluppy 013. I often wonder what Jemimah could have done next.
@MrToad, you wrote it so delicious so I wanted to try it out ) thank you!

grimoire

#22 Post by grimoire »

I choose XenialPup:)
Last edited by grimoire on Thu 21 Mar 2019, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.

csipesz

#23 Post by csipesz »

Just out of curiosity I ask: why Vividpup and UpupBB not present on this list?

s243a

#24 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:The answer to this question may be hardware related, ie. which Puppy works best on your machine. I only use two Puppys on my 12 year old laptop, ie. Racy 5.5 and Tahr 6.0.5. Both work well but if I have to choose between the two it has to be Tahr mainly because tahr, as is, is more usable with its newer browser and VLC. Absolutely rock solid, so much so that it almost becomes boring to use as nothing ever goes wrong. There's only one irritation with the builtin version of VLC in Tahr, ie. the screensaver can not be disabled from the VLC settings (it doesn't work) you have to toggle it with the screen control application. So Tahr is the best but Racy on the other hand is a lot of fun to use. The whole Racy system is only 105MB (max compressed) in size. Works perfectly on my machine apart from Mplayer which crashes occasionally. I also use Racy when I want to experiment/tinker with stuff. BTW - I didn't vote because tahr and xenial is grouped together in the poll but I have video problems with the latter.
I'm in big agreement here, and haven't found a puppy that I like as much as Tahr but if I was running puppy on newer hardware then I would probably prefer a more recent puppy. I also agree that Warry and Racy are fun due to how light and swift they are. I would add Lucid also to this fun list especially since it has been more recently maintained than Warry/Racy.

I probably would have voted for Tahr if it was by itself or grouped with either Lucid or precise but I ended up voting for fatdog/debian dog. I've been trying newer puppies lately and in my opinion the one with the best perfomace was dpup stretch. However, I'm finding "strechdog" easier to use due to better handling of post install and configuration scripts for deb packages.

I havevn't given up on dpup but It seems for best results I'll need to compile more packages from source than I would have to do if I'm running stretchdog, since stretchdog works flawlessly with the debian repositories. I also find the package manager for fatdog64 rock solid. This is likely because it is using the slackware repositories which have a simpler installation process. I didn't vote for slaco because the newest slaco runs slow on my older computers, perhaps x slaco slim would work well but I haven't tried it yet.

Anther reason that I voted for fatdog/stretchdog is that both of them work much better in a virtualbox for me than any version of puppy I tried. Perhaps If I tried QEMU or VMWare I wouldn't have these issues but I haven't tried puppy in these systems yet. The pups/dogs that I'm using most now are stretchdog and tazpup, but I have used both tahrpup and fatdog64 for quite some time. I'm also using dpup stretch but don't find it as fun as either TazPup or stretchdog.

Well my preference in the past has been for Ubuntu based versions of puppylinux, I think that unless puppy significantly improves the package manager the best working versions of puppylinux will use the slackware repositories. In my opinion there is too much bloat now in the Ubuntu repositories and the debian package installation process is getting too complex/fragile. However, I admit that these complexties of the debian package management system due add better package integration to the system.

I also think TazPup has a lot of potential but it isn't on the list. EasyOS sounds very interesting but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

s243a

#25 Post by s243a »

csipesz wrote:Just out of curiosity I ask: why Vividpup and UpupBB not present on this list?
I found that UpupBB gave me much better perormance than Xenial but I guess Xenial has more features which make many prefer Xenial over UpupBB. My preference though is UpupBB over Xenial.

takenp

#26 Post by takenp »

I have tried Fluppy 13 and found it both fast and beautiful as well as rock solid and robust. Great distro but dropped unfortunatelly. Anyway one more gem in my collection.

01101001b

#27 Post by 01101001b »

Not in the list, but my vote goes to Dpup, hands down 8)

01101001b

#28 Post by 01101001b »

grimoire wrote:I choose LxPup :)
Great choice :wink: It was my preferred pup for quite some time 8)

darry19662018

MacPup 525

#29 Post by darry19662018 »

Using Macpup 525 on the following machine.

Machine: Dell D620 - so far very nice.:)
Ran when idle: 58meg of ram:)

Using Palemoon 27.9.2 with it.

tallboy

#30 Post by tallboy »

1) Dpup
2) Lucid 5.2.8.7
3) The gorgeous Stardustpup 4.3.1
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

mistfire

#31 Post by mistfire »

My homemade puplet X-Slacko Slim. It can install and use almost any linux package format natively including modules
My original project TazPuppy. Small, true multiuser, and highly portable.

mikeslr

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Mine. :D And you can't have it. :roll:

ITSMERSH

#33 Post by ITSMERSH »

mikeslr wrote:Mine. :D And you can't have it. :roll:
:lol:

musher0

#34 Post by musher0 »

mikeslr wrote:Mine. :D And you can't have it. :roll:
Ditto! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

perdido

#35 Post by perdido »

The puppy 4.12-4.31

, and later developement & redevelopement by darry, mikeb, rerwin, tuxtoo, and others makes it my
favorite (note my favorite does not mean the same as my most useful)

jemimah released frisbee and it was backwards compatible to the 4.xx T2 puppies helping it along....

Still being supported and developed for.....

https://412collection.neocities.org/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/

The original 5.xx series are a close second, talking about before the woofCE era (which deserves recognition in its own right,)
and the people currently developing deserve recognition for keeping it all going & bypassing all the obstacles current linux developement
throws in the way.