Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 20 Sep 2018, 06:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Playing and/or converting .webm videos
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
slavvo67

Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 1570
Location: The other Mr. 305

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2018, 12:15    Post subject:  

for i in *.webm; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -strict -2 "$i.mp4"; done
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
norgo


Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Posts: 258
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2018, 21:34    Post subject:  

@ITSMERSH
You will need a ffmpeg version of this century
ffmpeg 2.8.11 contains the needed codecs e.g.
Code:
 DEV.L. vp8                   (decoders: vp8 libvpx ) (encoders: libvpx )
 DEV.L. vp9                   (decoders: vp9 libvpx-vp9 ) (encoders: libvpx-vp9 )

Also a recent browser has no problems to play these videos.
webm.jpg
 Description   youtube webm video
 Filesize   58.69 KB
 Viewed   211 Time(s)

webm.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2582
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 01:45    Post subject:  

norgo wrote:
@ITSMERSH
You will need a ffmpeg version of this century
ffmpeg 2.8.11 contains the needed codecs e.g.
Code:
 DEV.L. vp8                   (decoders: vp8 libvpx ) (encoders: libvpx )
 DEV.L. vp9                   (decoders: vp9 libvpx-vp9 ) (encoders: libvpx-vp9 )

Also a recent browser has no problems to play these videos.

Is the browser independent of relying on ffmpeg for playing VP9 (in other words, if your browser is new enough will it play vp9 and you do not need ffmpeg installed)? Seems to be the case. BTW - how do you get Youtube to playback at that high quality?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
norgo


Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Posts: 258
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 04:20    Post subject:  

@nic007

I compiled seamonkey with option "--with-system-libvpx", so installation of libvpx is required.
Compilation of seamonkey to use internal libvpx would be possible too.
Use "about:buildconfig" to see build configuration of browser.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2582
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 04:37    Post subject:  

norgo wrote:
@nic007

I compiled seamonkey with option "--with-system-libvpx", so installation of libvpx is required.
Compilation of seamonkey to use internal libvpx would be possible too.
Use "about:buildconfig" to see build configuration of browser.


Okay, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 11156

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 09:17    Post subject:  

Reason to convert?.... unless you have a graphics card and software to take advantage of it cpu usage I find is 3-4 times more than say x264....really not good for higher resolutions.

ffmpeg I used....but not ffconvert as its defaults are way, way to slow (1fps compared to around 15fps on the same machine/same file) so a bit of googling to for a command line that gives you the result you want. Push up x264 to 22 quality factor and I never notice the different before and after and it's not unusual to find low res video online expanded and encoded as high which results in a messy blocky playback, which when downsized again I find restores the sharpness.

Just my experience.

Been messing with Min browser and that included html5/webm handling and its statically built so should support regardless of the system its on.

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2582
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 09:45    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Reason to convert?.... unless you have a graphics card and software to take advantage of it cpu usage I find is 3-4 times more than say x264....really not good for higher resolutions.

ffmpeg I used....but not ffconvert as its defaults are way, way to slow (1fps compared to around 15fps on the same machine/same file) so a bit of googling to for a command line that gives you the result you want. Push up x264 to 22 quality factor and I never notice the different before and after and it's not unusual to find low res video online expanded and encoded as high which results in a messy blocky playback, which when downsized again I find restores the sharpness.

Just my experience.

Been messing with Min browser and that included html5/webm handling and its statically built so should support regardless of the system its on.

mike


Hi, mike. You remember that old VLC you compiled which is on the Puppy 412 site? Well, Im actually using it with Racy. It has most of the audio codecs and only mp4 (I think) so a bit limited as far as video is concerned...but the pet/sfs is only about 7MB and it is standalone (codecs are built in). Would be nice if more video codecs could be built into this minimalised version of VLC..or if the payer could be linked to using the ffmpeg codecs which most puppys have any way. The newer VLC versions come in pets of 50/60MB, very heavy. I like VLC because the equalizer/booster is excellent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 11156

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 15:03    Post subject:  

Quote:

Hi, mike. You remember that old VLC you compiled which is on the Puppy 412 site? Well, Im actually using it with Racy. It has most of the audio codecs and only mp4 (I think) so a bit limited as far as video is concerned...but the pet/sfs is only about 7MB and it is standalone (codecs are built in). Would be nice if more video codecs could be built into this minimalised version of VLC..or if the payer could be linked to using the ffmpeg codecs which most puppys have any way. The newer VLC versions come in pets of 50/60MB, very heavy. I like VLC because the equalizer/booster is excellent.

easier said than done... for that build I hacked in a later ffmpeg which sorted out some mp4 videos that did not play. Thing is ffmpeg and vlc are the same devs (or where ) so versions are pretty much tied togather and any later VLC releases use qt4 hence the size increase. You can save some space by removing never-to-be-used codecs but not many.

A much better option is mplayer which can work on much older systems yet support such as webm. It can used shared ffmpeg or compiled statically. Thing is the gnome-mplayer usually supported here is a bag of crap and its own gmplayer graphical interface is much more stable and gives nice skins with little space penalty. Not sure why but my builds have not reached the 412 site as yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1mtyfiiyw2ioyw/Mplayer-2009_uni.sfs?dl=1
This one is older but drops into 412....without webm but might want to try it anyway..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo6z4i3xi6fe2z8/Mplayer-2010-rc4_sfs4.sfs?dl=1
This should work but its lucid or newer but static so less system dependant.

I did manage to make a package of the later one that worked on 4.12 but its not uploaded at the moment.

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH


Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 310

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 15:38    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
norgo wrote:
@ITSMERSH
You will need a ffmpeg version of this century
ffmpeg 2.8.11 contains the needed codecs e.g.
Code:
 DEV.L. vp8                   (decoders: vp8 libvpx ) (encoders: libvpx )
 DEV.L. vp9                   (decoders: vp9 libvpx-vp9 ) (encoders: libvpx-vp9 )

Also a recent browser has no problems to play these videos.

Is the browser independent of relying on ffmpeg for playing VP9 (in other words, if your browser is new enough will it play vp9 and you do not need ffmpeg installed)? Seems to be the case. BTW - how do you get Youtube to playback at that high quality?

Thanks.

Though, my Puppy doesn't have ffmpeg. Instead it has avconv .
Code:
sh-4.3# avconv --version
avconv version 9.16-6:9.16-0ubuntu0.14.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
  built on Aug 10 2014 18:19:26 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
Unrecognized option '-version'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found
sh-4.3#

_________________
RSH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2582
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 15:56    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Quote:

Hi, mike. You remember that old VLC you compiled which is on the Puppy 412 site? Well, Im actually using it with Racy. It has most of the audio codecs and only mp4 (I think) so a bit limited as far as video is concerned...but the pet/sfs is only about 7MB and it is standalone (codecs are built in). Would be nice if more video codecs could be built into this minimalised version of VLC..or if the payer could be linked to using the ffmpeg codecs which most puppys have any way. The newer VLC versions come in pets of 50/60MB, very heavy. I like VLC because the equalizer/booster is excellent.

easier said than done... for that build I hacked in a later ffmpeg which sorted out some mp4 videos that did not play. Thing is ffmpeg and vlc are the same devs (or where ) so versions are pretty much tied togather and any later VLC releases use qt4 hence the size increase. You can save some space by removing never-to-be-used codecs but not many.

A much better option is mplayer which can work on much older systems yet support such as webm. It can used shared ffmpeg or compiled statically. Thing is the gnome-mplayer usually supported here is a bag of crap and its own gmplayer graphical interface is much more stable and gives nice skins with little space penalty. Not sure why but my builds have not reached the 412 site as yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1mtyfiiyw2ioyw/Mplayer-2009_uni.sfs?dl=1
This one is older but drops into 412....without webm but might want to try it anyway..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo6z4i3xi6fe2z8/Mplayer-2010-rc4_sfs4.sfs?dl=1
This should work but its lucid or newer but static so less system dependant.

I did manage to make a package of the later one that worked on 4.12 but its not uploaded at the moment.

mike

Nah, it's okay. It supports more formats than I thought at first, only really webm missing. I do have MPlayer (default player for Racy) but as said I prefer VLC due to the superior equalizer. Anyways, I've made an SFS of the old VLC pet. Got the size down to 6,2MB. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
norgo


Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Posts: 258
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 17:05    Post subject:  

@ITSMERSH
Checked just right now the avconv version ( 9.18-6 ) of Tahrpup 6.0.5.

avconv version 9.18-6:9.18-0ubuntu0.14.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
built on Mar 16 2015 13:20:58 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
DEV.L. vp8 On2 VP8 (decoders: vp8 libvpx ) (encoders: libvpx )

Result: no vp9 decoder/encoder

If you need a multimedia machine maybe it's a good idea to use a more suited distribution.
Maybe Slacko 700 ? Wink

FFmpeg and Mplayer installed by default ( H264, H265, VP9 .... )
SMplayer, SMtube latest version ( youtube downloading and watching no problem )
Qt5 as single module available, Avidemux, Audacity, latest Seamonkey ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
ITSMERSH


Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 310

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 20:32    Post subject:  

Hi norgo.

I'm using my own build based on Tahr 6.0.2 which is pretty well setup for everything related to Audio, Graphics, Office and Video. On my Youtube channel (T.A.E.R.S.H.) one can view three videos created with that built called LazY Puppy Art Studio (a remaster of my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5).

I have tried a few versions of Slacko some time ago, though, I didn't like them.

Here's the list of LazY Puppy Art Studio's Audio Programs only:
Quote:
aeolus
ams
amsynth
ardour3
audacity
beast
BRP_PACU
calfjackhost
canorus
dino
din
drumkv1_jack
fmit
freqtweak
gtick
gtklick
gnome_wave_cleaner
helm
hexter
horgand
hydrogen
jackeq
jack-keyboard
jack-rack
jamin
jkmeter
jmeters
jnoisemeter
lmms
meterbridge-start
mscore
muse
mx44
nekobee
nootka
nted
ocenaudio
patchage
paulstretch
petri-foo
phasex
qjackctl
qmidiarp
qmidiroute
qsynth
qtractor
rakarrack
rosegarden
rtsynth-alsa
rtsynth-jack
samplv1_jack
scolily
seq24
sineshaper
slgui
specimen
spek
stretchplayer
sunvox
swami
sweep
synthv1_jack
terminatorX
tetraproc
timemachine
timidity
traverso
tuxguitar
wavesurfer
yoshimi
zita-at1
zita-bls1
zita-mu1
zita-rev1
zynaddsubfx


I doubt Slacko would come with all that programs and being able to run them, so the user could make use of them?

The one and only "issue" so far was the .webm videos, as sometimes I'm stumbling over videos uploaded as .webm only. The conversion with download-helper failed all the time and download only failed as well to convert them after download.

A bit of research pointed out that I would need to have

libwayland-egl.so.1
libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0

installed. After installing everything is fine now.

_________________
RSH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 2620
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 22:09    Post subject: ffmpeg for Tahrpup  

Hi ITSMERSH,

I'm not sure if it will help with .webms, but rockedge published a ffmpeg pet for tahrpup. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=850361#850361

Avconv is a fork of ffmpeg. Ubuntu used it in Trusty tahr, but by the time Xenial Xerus was published switched back to ffmpeg.

Before rockedge posted, I had used your PaDS to put together an ffmpeg sfs, then converted it to a pet. I discussed doing so in this post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=845469#845469, which has a screenshot of the debs which were needed.

So, if rockedge's ffmpeg isn't able to handle webms, perhaps the screenshot may be of some assistance if you choose to construct a newer version, maybe using debs from xenial xerus's repo with any necessary symlinks.

mikesLr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 12686
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2018, 23:43    Post subject:  

Hello all.

Please forgive lateness coming to this thread.

Has anybody tried playing webm videos with ffplay? Normally, ffplay is
compiled along with the ffmpeg libraries. To my knowledge ffplay can
play anything.

BFN.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Siempre será canción nueva... (V. Jara, Manifiesto)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
OscarTalks


Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 1805
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug 2018, 09:24    Post subject:  

Puppies such as Tahr 6.0.5 have the libav/avconv package in place of ffmpeg
Tahr has avplay in place of ffplay
This plays a .webm video in which the video codec is vp8
However it will not play .webm videos which use the newer vp9 codec
The VLC 2.1.6 in Tahr 6.0.5 does not have the vp9 codec either
I guess it is depending on the older libav libraries

When you compile MPlayer, it downloads the latest ffmpeg snapshot at the time and statically links it in, so you have the latest codecs on board.
The mplayer package for tahr-i686 that I linked to in my earlier post definitely does play vp9 because I tested it. If using the gMPlayer GUI you have to make sure that the video output preference setting is set to something suitable like gl or xv though.

_________________
Oscar in England

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0919s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0188s) ][ GZIP on ]