Looking for latest VLC player 3.0.3

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
dcung

Looking for latest VLC player 3.0.3

#1 Post by dcung »

Hi,

I have .ts video file that will not play in VLC player (v.2.2.6) that comes with Fatdog64 (v721). The video plays in my Windows box and I don't want to convert the video to other format.
My research lead me to believe that this is resolved in later/latest VLC player.

I have Fatdog64 and XenPup75 installed in the laptop.
Laptop Dell Latitude D630, Intel Core2Duo@2.20GHz, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD.

I have searched and among other things, I have downloaded from Fatdog64 repo, VLC303 but have not managed to get it working yet. It's complained some missing library GLIBC 2.27, and I could not find it in repo.

I also tried PET from this thread, didn't work for XenPup...
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112804

Anyone knows how to get latest VLC player working?

Thank you.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

never mind. . .

LateAdopter

#3 Post by LateAdopter »

It looks as though you took the VLC 303 from the FD800 repo, but that won't work on FD720 and FD800 is not released yet.

VLC is fussy about versions of ffmpeg and QT, so the mix and match approach is unlikely to work.

Videlan no longer build VLC 3 packages for Ubuntu Xenial and some of the libs in FD720 are older than Xenial.

If you want a working version of VLC 3, you probably need to install upupbb (Bionic) or wait for FD800 to come along.

EDIT: or Dpup Stretch.

dcung

#4 Post by dcung »

Hi LateAdopter,

My mistake, thought I downloaded it from FD720 repo. Thanks for pointing it out.

I installed UpupBB1805, and also installed VLC 3 after reading your reply.
Installed went OK thru PPM.
But when I run VLC, I get this error (see attached).

So, how do I use VLC then?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(20.6 KiB) Downloaded 821 times

smokey01

Re: Looking for latest VLC player 3.0.3

#5 Post by smokey01 »

dcung wrote:Hi,

I have .ts video file that will not play in VLC player (v.2.2.6) that comes with Fatdog64 (v721). The video plays in my Windows box and I don't want to convert the video to other format.
My research lead me to believe that this is resolved in later/latest VLC player.
@dcung I have been watching .ts files in Fatdog64 for years. Both the ones recorded from a TV PVR and ones created by VLC. I use FD-721 and they play here. Check out this project in the August 2018 newsletter. http://smokey01.com/newsletters/
Maybe there is something wrong with your .ts file. Where did you get it?

LateAdopter

#6 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Smokey01 it's probably the codec not the .ts that's the problem. dcung has probably got a 10bit h.265 codec or something like that.

Hello dcung.

There is a standard hack of /usr/bin/vlc to make it run as root. If you search you will find 100s of pages telling you how to do it, including a simple linux commandline.

The /usr/bin/vlc is a very small binary but upupbb is 32 bit so I don't have one already that I can give you. The binary doesn't change with VLC versions so you can reuse it in future.

Alternatively you can run vlc from the commandline preceded by run-as-spot
That will probably work for vlc.

dcung

#7 Post by dcung »

LateAdopter wrote:Alternatively you can run vlc from the commandline preceded by run-as-spot
That will probably work for vlc.
That does it. I learnt something today :)

The video now plays and has sound.
This sort of 'proved' that if I can have VLC3 or at least 'same codec' in my other puppies, I can play the video.

Thanks LateAdopter.

MrDuckGuy

Running UPupBB 18.05 but VLC Will Not Load

#8 Post by MrDuckGuy »

Hello, I found this thread through a search of the forum, and I am looking for a way to boot VLC in UPupBB 18.05,
frugal installation. I really like some of the features of this puppy, so if I can configure this to run VLC it would be really
satisfying.

I tried downloading many versions of VLC, since the version in the package manager (vlc_3.0.3-1) seems to have a bug,
and will not run. I saw the contribution from LateAdopter, which said:
LateAdopter wrote: ... a standard hack of /usr/bin/vlc to make it run as root ...
including a simple linux commandline ... you can run vlc
from the commandline preceded by run-as-spot ...

That didn't work for me. It said there is a "symbol lookup error"
and an "undefined symbol."

I installed VLC-1.0.6-Lucid among about a lot of other VLC configurations, and none of them worked. The OS is a
"new-ish" distribution, so I would like to use the newer version of VLC, like the one in the PPM.

I did a web search in older repositories, and then I tried downloading many versions of PETs that were older
32-bit VLC compilations, and I deleted them as they failed. I kept trying older and older versions, as the newer
versions failed, one by one. I have a screen shot of the ones that haven't been deleted yet.

Also, the GNOME player included with the package is a little crude and I am not very familiar with it, to boot.

Is this an example of user error, or is the OS incompatible with VLC? I have included a few screen shots. If
I am doing something that I might improve on, maybe someone here can see it from the screen shots
attached below.

Thanks in advance, Kelikaku B'H
--------------------------------------------------------------
HP G60 Notebook PC
Release Date: 04/07/2009
AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-72 2100 MHz
Total RAM: 3784 MB
UPupBB18.05Frugal/upupbbsave-2019.02.23
Attachments
PackageManagerVersionShown.png
Newest version is in the PPM, but it's not
compatible with the OS. B'H.
(171.27 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
VLC1.0.6LucidInstalled.png
This is the latest version I've tried, 1.0.6Lucid, which is
still currently installed. It, also, will not run. There is a
screenshot below, showing a few error messages,
displayed when I tried to run from the "spot"
Terminal. B'H.
(223.68 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
SeveralVLCsDidntWork.png
Some of the versions that were tried and would not
load, all 32-bit versions, I had downloaded many
newer versions, but deleted them after they failed
to load. B'H.
(95.74 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
RunFromTerminalError.png
Bug when running from the "spot" LXTerminal. B'H.
(232.15 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
Last edited by MrDuckGuy on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 10:00, edited 3 times in total.

MrDuckGuy

Re: Running UPupBB 18.05 but VLC Will Not Load

#9 Post by MrDuckGuy »

MrDuckGuy wrote: ... a way to boot VLC in UPupBB 18.05, frugal installation ... is the OS incompatible with VLC ...
OK so I went on the Puppy IRC channel. I was told to simply edit /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh on line 15 where it says vlc I should shorten it to just 'vlc'.

That worked but the computer crashed just at the time when I was in the middle of testing vlc. OK so when this happened I found out my computer has a defective WIFI radio and I replaced it with a usb adapter. Now I don't know exactly what to do.

Did follow the instructions as best I could, but now am getting the classic error saying there's some issue with "running as root."

Does anyone know what is going on? Screenshot of my XTerminal attempt below. Thanks in advance. B'H.
Attachments
XTerminalOutput.png
Vlc typed into XTerminal feedback. B'H.
(36.53 KiB) Downloaded 490 times

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

User festus provided vlc-3.0.1 for upupbb:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113309

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Hi MrDuckGuy !

Vlc can not be run as root ......but can be accomplished .

Make a small script ----make it executable (hope you know how to do) :

#!/bin/sh
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
vlc

execute it .....should work ......please give Feedback .

MrDuckGuy

#12 Post by MrDuckGuy »

watchdog wrote: ... festus provided vlc-3.0.1 for upupbb: ... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113309 ...
backi wrote:Hi MrDuckGuy ... Vlc can not be run as root ... should work ...
Well I have good news and I have bad news. We were looking for the latest version, 3.0.4 to load, which I'm still interested in. The link to the 3.0.1 version works really well.

The bad news is, my laptop crashes when it tries to run the newer VLC configurations. I think that's what burned out my WIFI receiver on that laptop. It's old hardware, so I think I'm going to have to find a less demanding version of VLC, as far as hardware requirements are. I can load it on the laptop and start playing something. But if I try to navigate in the video that freezes the entire OS and crashes the laptop. There's still a mouse pointer but everything else is frozen. I have to do a hard reset to even shut down. B'H.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Can't remember if MPV's included on your build of Bionic, so...

Two additional SFS options that may work. The latter belongs to Mike Walsh.

http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc- ... ps-s14.sfs

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MrDuckGuy

#14 Post by MrDuckGuy »

watchdog wrote:User festus provided vlc-3.0.1 for upupbb:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113309
I tried to run this on my desktop and it downloads but it crashes. This is a much more powerful unit too. Screen shot below.

I uninstalled it, updated the PPM, and installed the latest version in the PPM (2.2.2) and that also ist kaput. Screen shot below. B'H.
Attachments
2019-02-25_VLC-terminaloutput.png
The terminal output from attempted VLC 3.O.1 initiation. B'H.
(20.95 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
2019-02-25_VLC-terminaloutput(2).png
The terminal output from second attempt, older version of VLC. B'H.
(42.58 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

OscarTalks

#15 Post by OscarTalks »

Latest VLC release is now 3.0.6

Always best in Puppy to compile VLC from source. I am running 3.0.2 in Dpup Stretch. I did build 3.0.3 but there was one thing in it which didn't work but which worked in 3.0.2 so I haven't tried to build any versions since.

I have one machine which (hardware?) doesn't work with 3.0.2 so in that I run VLC 2.2.8 which I compiled.

Because of library differences, there is no guarantee that VLC compiled in one Puppy will work in a different Puppy.

My experimental builds are here if anyone wants to try them:-
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1

There is some discussion in this thread here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112804
Oscar in England

MrDuckGuy

#16 Post by MrDuckGuy »

OscarTalks wrote:Latest VLC release is now 3.0.6 ... best in Puppy to compile VLC from source ... I have one machine ... doesn't work with 3.0.2 so in that I run VLC 2.2.8 ... library differences ... no guarantee that VLC compiled in one Puppy will work ... My experimental builds ... https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1 ... discussion in this thread ... http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112804
Jolly good show. I am falling over myself in the anticipation of trying out these versions. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread, it's quite a valuable contribution that you've made here.

Also thanks for adding your insight, it's clearing the air of my frustrated confusion and replacing it with your calm brilliance. Keep up the good work :!: B'H.

Kelikaku