nicOS-Remaster

Miscellaneous tools
nic007

nicOS-Remaster

#1 Post by nic007 »

Last edited by nic007 on Tue 31 Mar 2020, 11:45, edited 28 times in total.

johnywhy

#2 Post by johnywhy »

i ran the Pristine script. Got the Success message, but did not get an iso in /

I enlarged my save-file from 2 GB to 6 GB, and ran it again, but still no iso.

i don't know how to check the size of /

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

The working directory is /, if not so this auto script won't work. What is the path of your root directory? Does the built in remaster script in the menu work for you because this script is based on it?

johnywhy

#4 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:The working directory is /, if not so this auto script won't work. What is the path of your root directory? Does the built in remaster script in the menu work for you because this script is based on it?
if i click root in file manager, i get:
/root/

In x-tahr 2.0.

when i run Remaster Puppy live-CD from menu, it asks me to choose working directory (this Pristine script doesn't). I pick a partition with plenty free space. I do get output.

Remaster Puppy reports that it puts files into /tmp/root/ (not /root).

Right before making ISO, `/initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivecdbuild/` contains:

Code: Select all

# ls
boot.msg   initrd.gz     logo.16              vmlinuz
help2.msg  isolinux.bin  puppy_xtahr_2.0.sfs  zdrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs
help.msg   isolinux.cfg  README.HTM
After Remaster Puppy reports that the iso was created, i cannot find any iso on /initrd/mnt/dev_save
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

It looks like the remaster is done correctly but the problem occurs when to make the iso. Check the size of the base sfs in /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivecdbuild. If it looks right, then the remaster was probably successful. With the auto script the remaster is actually done in /PuppyRemaster but you won't see this folder with the files because it is automatically deleted when the ISO is created/supposed to be created. The auto version is a "no user input" version with preset default settings (that's the whole idea behind being automatic), you need enough free space in your savefile for the operation. Normally there is an icon in the tray which indicates the free space you have available, check it.
Back to the ISO problem - you need the executable "genisoimage" and the link to that file ie."mkisofs" on your system to make iso's. Check if you have it (it's normally in /usr/bin).
Last edited by nic007 on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

johnywhy

#6 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:Check the size of the base sfs in /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivecdbuild.
5.0 MB (4,980,768 bytes)

Shouldn't that be closer to 200 MB? Is this the problem?
you need enough free space in your savefile for the operation.
Free space: 5 GB
you need the executable "genisoimage" and the link to that file ie."mkisofs" on your system to make iso's. Check if you have it (it's normally in /usr/bin).
It's there.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

That size is wrong, the remaster has obviously not been done correctly. In the example you mention, you have a partition of a drive as the working area so size should normally not be an issue (how big is that partition?). I'm running out of ideas of what could be wrong, just a few things:

1. On what media is your frugal installation (harddrive, flashdrive) and what filesystem is that drive? When you have a savefile in operation the partition with your puppy files is normally called /mnt/home.
2. You say that you reckon the remastered base SFS should be around 200MB. That can't be. It looks like you have used around 1GB of your savefile capacity (1GB of the 6GB) Your remastered base sfs (which includes the contents of the savefile) should be more than 500MB.
3. Your savefile is so large that many things could have gone wrong by now. Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu so we can at least see if that tool works with your distribution. X-Tahr is not an officially released version of Puppy but a puplet made by a user so some things may not work correctly.

johnywhy

#8 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:you have a partition of a drive as the working area so size should normally not be an issue (how big is that partition?).
100GB total, 40GB free.
Puppy has write-access.
On what media is your frugal installation
harddrive
what filesystem is that drive?
ntfs
You say that you reckon the remastered base SFS should be around 200MB.
just cuz the sfs from the original puppy live cd is about that.
Your remastered base sfs (which includes the contents of the savefile) should be more than 500MB.
ah, ok, wasn't sure about that. So something's def awry
Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu so we can at least see if that tool works
ok, will report back.
X-Tahr is not an officially released version of Puppy but a puplet made by a user so some things may not work correctly.
Imho, it's teh most awesome puppy of all, if you want teh best desktop (xfce). x-tahr 2.0 is teh most stable, fully-implemented xfce puppy i've found yet.

THX
Last edited by johnywhy on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

belham2

Re: Auto ISO Remaster

#9 Post by belham2 »

nic007 wrote:The remaster process up to creating a new ISO seems to be a daunting task for many, especially newbies. In my view a fully automated process should be of great help. With this in mind, I'm releasing two scripts, ie:
Auto-Remaster-ISO-Customized AND Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine attached hereto.

Usage:

1. Use Auto-Remaster-ISO-Customized to save your machine/system settings so you can use the remaster on the same machine. Use Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine for a remaster you can use on other machines.
2. To make a new ISO, you will need to either mount the distribution's ISO or load the CD so files can be copied from it. Do this before running the script.
3. Run the script. You will be asked to select the ISO or CD to copy files from. Select either and click OK (if you choose the CD option, an additional dialog may appear for safety reasons. Just click OK)
4. That's it. Sit back and relax and wait for your new remastered ISO to be created.

Additional notes:

Note 1, The remastered ISO will be created in / , make sure you have enough space (enough RAM if you are running in RAM-mode or make sure your savefile is big enough if you are using one).
Note 2, if you have an 'underdog Linux' mounted, that too will get combined into the remastered ISO, so beware, it could get big!
Note 3, all installed packages as well as extra sfs files loaded at the time of remaster will be included in the remastered base sfs file.
Note 4, the adrv and ydrv (if present) will be included in the base sfs file if they are loaded. The zdrv (which normally contain drivers) will be kept seperately.
Note 5, the default compressor setting for your distribution will be used.
Hey Nic007,

Thanks for continuing to work on this stuff. I downloaded both, tried the customized first and it ran fine & saved all my settings in the remastered ISO (for the same machine). As a side note, I hope a certain poster here doesn't show up and start another verbal p#ssing match where it drives you to pull these (like the other scripts in the other thread). Don't let 'em get to you, your total body of work of remaster scripts are still the best thing going to make it easy for all of us, experienced users and/or newbies, when remastering.

Thanks again.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

These scripts are small enough you could offer them as pet packages.
The forum will allow a pet package attachment to a post.
There is max size limit of 256K.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ITSMERSH

#11 Post by ITSMERSH »

As a side note, I hope a certain poster here doesn't show
I think Flash just banned him lately?

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:These scripts are small enough you could offer them as pet packages.
The forum will allow a pet package attachment to a post.
There is max size limit of 256K.
Those glory days are gone for good. I've pulled all my pet packages from the forum for good reason a time ago. I'm reluctant to release stuff but may do so every now and then so I suppose the door is not closed completely.

johnywhy

#13 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu
Tried, and didn't even have to wait to finish to see the difference. I got the progress window below. At the end, i got an iso file.

I didn't get this progress window when booted with my big save-file. Maybe there's a size limitation on Remaster?
nic007 wrote:I've pulled all my pet packages from the forum for good reason
What reason, pray tell?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 2615 times
Last edited by johnywhy on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Used Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine to make a remaster of Xenialpup 7.5 UEFI.

Wondering if this really does have all the needed stuff to boot on any computer.

Notice the difference in what is in the iso's
Attachments
capture26368.png
(30.38 KiB) Downloaded 2596 times
capture26015.png
(25.01 KiB) Downloaded 2589 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

I am definitely going to try out the script! Try to remaster a LAMP-ZoneMinder install on a Xenial 7.5 32 bit. See how it goes......
Last edited by rockedge on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

johnywhy

#16 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:you need the executable "genisoimage" and the link to that file ie."mkisofs" on your system to make iso's. Check if you have it (it's normally in /usr/bin).
where would i find mkisofs? Same dir as genisoimage?

THX
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#17 Post by nic007 »

johnywhy wrote:
nic007 wrote:Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu
Tried, and didn't even have to wait to finish to see the difference. I got the progress window below. At the end, i got an iso file.

I didn't get this progress window when booted with my big save-file. Maybe there's a size limitation on Remaster?
Okay, so the script works. Your failure seems to be related to your savefile. Do you have a backup of your savefile (the original one before you started to try remasters and stuff)? If you do, try that for the remaster. I suppose you have important stuff in the savefile (like installed pets, etc.) which is why you want to do a remaster? There is an alternative to the conventional remaster method if you can't get it going with your savefile. Tahr can use an adrv. The adrv is just a "specific" sfs file which gets automatically loaded at bootup but it has preference over the base sfs and zdrv. So, make an sfs of your savefile and call it the adrv (the name should look like that of the zdrv). Place this adrv with your other puppy files and boot that instead of the savefile. This method replaces the current savefile and is effectively a "remaster" of the savefile.

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

johnywhy wrote:
nic007 wrote:you need the executable "genisoimage" and the link to that file ie."mkisofs" on your system to make iso's. Check if you have it (it's normally in /usr/bin).
where would i find mkisofs? Same dir as genisoimage?

THX
You can make an iso so it works.

johnywhy

#19 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:make an sfs of your savefile and call it the adrv (the name should look like that of the zdrv). Place this adrv with your other puppy files and boot that instead of the savefile.
thx, i'll try!
how do i get the iso? run your script?

THX
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#20 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:Used Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine to make a remaster of Xenialpup 7.5 UEFI.

Wondering if this really does have all the needed stuff to boot on any computer.

Notice the difference in what is in the iso's
The auto script has the builtin remasterscript of Precise Puppy as basis. The created iso is primarily built for burning to CD. I don't have XenialPup but a quick glance at what you have posted suggest that it has extra stuff in the iso mainly to assist with usb booting with grub as the bootloader. So if you need that, use the builtin remasterscript that comes with Xenial to make the ISO (hopefully it will work). Alternatively - Post Xenial's builtin remasterscript here and I will have a look at it and explore the possibilities of including the extra functionalities into my auto script.