Unable to Remaster X-Tahr

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeslr

#16 Post by mikeslr »

FWIW:

As nic007 has told you, there's something wrong with your SaveFile/folder. Here's what I'd do:

1. Boot into the X-tarh which works. Open SFS-Load and Puppy Package Manager and make a note (screenshot) of the current applications you've installed/loaded and have functioning.
2. Create a NEW Frugal Install or just a new SaveFile starting with the files in the original ISO. You'll use the note/screenshots for rebuilding your Puppy.
3. Except for Qt and python SFSes, Do Not Load any SFSes. The advantage of SFSes are the ease with which you can 'upgrade' an application -- unload the old, load the new, see if it works and doesn't present a conflict with other applications. Including application SFSes in your puppy_version_number.sfs either locks you into an old version, or wastes space when you SFS-load a new version. The exceptions are QT and python which are used by other applications, sometimes are supplemented by additional libs or versions, but are rarely updated. SFSes can be added to an ISO so that they may be copied to /mnt/home.
4. Use a SaveFile rather than a SaveFolder. Make frequent backup as you install pets so that you can revert if necessary.
5. Test each pet when it's installed to make certain it works and doesn't conflict with other applications.
6. Remaster when you're finished installing/testing. If the remaster application you use permits it, create a separate zdrv.
7. The most important component you want to remaster is the Puppy_Version_number.sfs. There are tools for editing ISOs. For example in Xenialpup64 there's Menu>Multimedia>ISOMaster. Running it, you can open the original ISO, delete old Puppy_Version_number.sfs [optionally old vmlinuz & zdrv] and add your remastered Puppy_Version_number.sfs [and optionally, updated updated vmlinuz, zdrv]. Xenialpup64 also has Menu>Multimedia>BurnISO2CD. X-tahr is likely to have included similar tools; or you can install them.

mikesLr

johnywhy

#17 Post by johnywhy »

mikeslr wrote:1. Boot into the X-tarh which works. Open SFS-Load and Puppy Package Manager and make a note (screenshot) of the current applications you've installed/loaded and have functioning.
Hi mikeslr, that's great! But those aren't my only changes.

-- I removed several items with Remove builtin packages. For this, i think i need to look at /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages and/or /root/.packages/builtin_files/. What's the difference? Plz see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 82#1001882
-- I customized the xfce desktop. I'm hand-copying my setup from various xfce config screens.
-- added some custom startup commands. Hand-copied.
-- not sure if i installed any pets, how can i tell? Would they be listed in the puppy Uninstaller?
3. advantage of SFSes are the ease with which you can 'upgrade' an application. Including application SFSes in your puppy_version_number.sfs either locks you into an old version, or wastes space when you SFS-load a new version.
That's awesome. i didn't use any SFS's. But, if i did, i would want to bundle any SFS's with the iso so they auto-load on the live-cd. I'm making this to share with friends, so any SFS's need to load on first boot, and get installed on a frugal install. Everything must work without any extra setup (except internet, timezone etc). Is there a way to achieve that, while still allowing future frugals to use the sfs-load on-the-fly to switch 'em out?
SFSes can be added to an ISO so that they may be copied to /mnt/home.
What does copying to /mnt/home achieve? Are you saying i do that during the remaster? Or end-user does that?

Your comments about backing up savefile, testing etc relate to setting up a puppy. Thx, but no problem there. Just trying to remaster this puppy on which everything works. I've already gone through the pain of testing, installing, configuring.
create a separate zdrv.
Isn't that my hardware drivers? I want the live-cd to work on any box, not just my box. I thought to make a remaster which is not hardware-specific, i should not create the zdrv. No?

X-tahr has BurnISO2CD and isomaster.
7. The most important component you want to remaster is the Puppy_Version_number.sfs.
- Why?
In ISOMaster. delete old Puppy_Version_number.sfs and add your remastered Puppy_Version_number.sfs
Can i make up anything? Can it be a name instead of a number?
[optionally old vmlinuz & zdrv]
- Why? What does that achieve? If i create a zdrv during remaster, are you saying both the zdrv i created, plus the old zdrv will be in the iso?

Tbh, I don't believe there's anything "wrong" with my save file. I don't believe it's corrupt. The OS boots and works perfectly.

Instead, i think one of my customizations is breaking the remaster. That would be proven If i duplicate my setup exactly, and then can't remaster again.

THX
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

ITSMERSH

#18 Post by ITSMERSH »

@johnywhy

Did you try to remaster your Puppy by using the latest version of LazY Remaster Suite?

It comes with option to create a .iso (one can enable/disable this in the GUI). Also it will copy everything from the install directory (where the puppy .sfs is) to the build directory, and so everything will be in the .iso.

I have tested this on a remaster of Music2Go and everything went fine.

Just to mention...

johnywhy

#19 Post by johnywhy »

ITSMERSH wrote:Did you try to remaster your Puppy by using the latest version of LazY Remaster Suite?
I shall try, after i recreate a fresh puppy, just to make sure my save-file isn't bad.
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

ITSMERSH

#20 Post by ITSMERSH »

johnywhy wrote:
ITSMERSH wrote:Did you try to remaster your Puppy by using the latest version of LazY Remaster Suite?
I shall try, after i recreate a fresh puppy, just to make sure my save-file isn't bad.
I would like to know the your results of remastering without to create a fresh Puppy.

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

#21 Post by kiramm »

cant find LazY Remaster Suite

where is to download__??

whish nice day

2hours later> edit

maybe ist out of function

but this seems to start at least... on x slacko

http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

like mostly observed in2 years geofrey for ever ....

pupremaster-1-carolina.pet

johnywhy

#22 Post by johnywhy »

i got frustrated, having tried 3 or 4 different scripts and still not getting expected results.

Gave up trying.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

ITSMERSH

#23 Post by ITSMERSH »

kiramm wrote:cant find LazY Remaster Suite

where is to download__??

whish nice day

2hours later> edit

maybe ist out of function

but this seems to start at least... on x slacko

http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

like mostly observed in2 years geofrey for ever ....

pupremaster-1-carolina.pet
LazY Remaster Suite has had a bug I discovered after asking Flash for locking the topic. So, I could not edit anything and then I asked Flash to remove the topic.

Gratefully he did!

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

#24 Post by kiramm »

SCHADe
ng
remasteriseem to be outof matrix

what sas german antbewihrauecheung
for

this method ./ram2sfs

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 54#1006454

??