Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 20:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
xencore... corepuppified xenial
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
rockedge

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2018, 20:16    Post subject:  

this is a build of mxencore-7 built using Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.6 nopae and mxencore02.fig
run with stock settings.....Time was set using SetTime and is showing UTC

the build became a 342 meg ISO but with icewm as a desktop is using about 52 megs of RAM
screenshot_0731011155-500px.png
 Description   
 Filesize   64.01 KB
 Viewed   207 Time(s)

screenshot_0731011155-500px.png

Last edited by rockedge on Mon 30 Jul 2018, 21:27; edited 5 times in total
nosystemdthanks

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2018, 20:44    Post subject:  

posted to xencore thread-- which i have no problem with, however for those who are confused, mcorepup 0.6 produces corepup with tc9 instead of tc6 (newer packages, newer kernel, etc) not xencore.

i was just going to say "nice screencap" which it is, but i thought id clarify this.

and as usual, thanks. i can post screencaps, but when you do it it doesnt just show what it looks like-- it also shows that a second person has run it. thats useful to me, to other people who might take interest, and to wanderer, so thanks again.

nosystemdthanks

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018, 16:49    Post subject:  

here is mxencore 0.3, which begins to replace packages from xenpup with tc equivalents, as well as reduce the amount of space taken by xenpup.tcz.

sorting a giant sfs into packages (whether those packages already exist or not) is tedious work, a lot of which i automate partially, then work on manually, then automate further.

this would be better as a community effort, though it can be done by a single person with the right tools. either way, as xenpup.tcz gets smaller in both size and filecount, we get closer to a usable, organised tc+xenpup hybrid.

this is still at the curiosity stage, where files (binaries perhaps, but definitely rc and similar files) that shouldnt be kept in xenpup can interfere with files that work fine in tc.

theres a lot that can be done to debug that sort of conflict. i was determined to make progress that i could post here, while im working on several other things besides mxencore--

this (the latest version, rather than the thing itself) is the least fun ive had lately, though pulling off another hybrid distro would make it fun, if it gets closer to what wanderer and i are mostly on the same page about.
mxencore03.fig.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  mxencore03.fig.gz 
Filesize  111.84 KB 
Downloaded  26 Time(s) 

rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018, 17:42    Post subject:  

I have successfully run mxencore03. With the current default config the resulting ISO is around 385 megs. It will boot but so far unable to get a GUI desktop going. The GUI flashes for a brief instant and disappears. Both
Code:
xwin
startx

will work but the X server crashes.

Almost there.
nosystemdthanks

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018, 19:18    Post subject:  

weird. this is the first version of mxencore that ive run on actual hardware from an actual cd, and it went to the gui (with the taskbar) and stayed there.

i could only get the keyboard to work on the vt, but if i got it to restart x with something other than jwm, it might work. i tried ctrl-esc, alt-enter, im not sure what should be working but its possible the xorg config is to blame.

im low on cds, and usually try these things by copying to the hdd and running from grub.

but i like to try them from qemu (to be sure it gets to the gui) and i do that too, and this one i booted from a real cd.

either way, 0.3 doesnt mean mxencore is ready. thats why its good that its separate from mcorepup right now-- i dont want people to think mcorepup doesnt work while i fit xenpup with a tc collar. i also wanted to try moving from onboot to copy2fs for this. i think copy2fs is closer to how puppy works and is expected to work. with onboot, you cant boot toram.

rockedge

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018, 12:28    Post subject:  

I will burn a CD and see how it goes. I have not got the GUI to start yet with a frugal install on a 16 gig USB stick and Grub4Dos. So I will see how the grub2 goes and a closer look at the boot parameters...
nosystemdthanks

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018, 13:16    Post subject:  

everything is still corepup, the differences are all in xenpup.tcz.

the goal is to separate stuff from xenpup.tcz into more tczs, but first the goal is to replace xenpup stuff with tc stuff as much as possible.

so everything with boot parameters and stuff is corepup, just like wanderer designed it. if it works in corepup, it should work in xencore too-- unless there is a file from xenpup that interferes. ive already taken care of some of that, and the more it gets organised the more i will check it with tools to be sure there are no conflicts (at least in terms of files with matching names.)

i can make tools to find dupes across tcz files, tools to check that certain files load properly, and respond to parts that dont.

but, i cant do everything at once. it takes time, and its fun sometimes, but its not always very interesting. this part of it is mostly just tedious, but mostly worth it.

Page 3 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: