DD'd LxPup.iso to USB, got 'Operating System Not Found'

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Clueless Wonder

DD'd LxPup.iso to USB, got 'Operating System Not Found'

#1 Post by Clueless Wonder »

I apologize in advance if this has been asked. I searched the archives and couldn't find this in this forum.

I downloaded LxPupBionic-18.05+8.iso. I then used DD to put it on a USB to boot from there so I could install it on another USB. I received the message "Operating System Not Found".

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

Go into the computers BIOS at start-up by pressing [f2]. In BIOS instruct the computer to boot the USB drive first. Then save changes and exit.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Clueless Wonder

#3 Post by Clueless Wonder »

Thanks for the quick reply 8Gee.

Unfortunately, that was the first thing I checked...it is booting from the USB...

Any other thoughts? Also, I realize that I posted this in Puppy Derivatives instead of in the LxPup folder...is there a way to move it?

6502coder

#4 Post by 6502coder »

Does the ISO you downloaded have "hybrid" in the name? I believe that the LxPups have been following a naming convention where the ISO is only hybrid if "hybrid" is in the name, e.g. "LxPup64-16.10.1-hybrid.iso", as opposed to "LxPup64-16.10.0-uefi.iso"

davids45

Files on the USB?

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day C.W.,

Have you checked the files now on the USB?

Could you post a list of them? Probably less than a dozen but certainly more than three.

If your computer is looking for an OS on the USB and not finding one, it sounds like the USB's files from expanding the iso are not as required - either a poor download, the wrong iso (delta used?), or expanding the iso has not put the files correctly onto the USB.

I'm assuming the computer boots normally from its hard-drive via an OS of some sort, so checking the USB on the same computer is possible.

David S.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Operating System Not Found
That indicates that a bootloader did not get installed properly on the drive.

ISObooter will boot this LxPup ISO.

Clueless Wonder

#7 Post by Clueless Wonder »

Hello and so sorry for the delay! I didn't realize there were responses as the notifications went to my spam mail. I will re-install to the USB and try again. If I get the same problem, I will post back here.

Thanks again!