[SOLVED]Any latest puppys with non-pae kernels?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rockedge

#16 Post by rockedge »

it worked then after a reboot the WiFi stopped working? what changed in between?

jss83

#17 Post by jss83 »

Never mind that, it's a bad device, not getting recognized now in previous kernel or windows machine.

rockedge

#18 Post by rockedge »

ahhhhh....recently happened to me also...I kept trying to fix the software and it was the wifi card the whole time.....

wiak

#19 Post by wiak »

jss83 wrote:Never mind that, it's a bad device, not getting recognized now in previous kernel or windows machine.
Occasionally the wifi card on my HP Elitebook gets 'lost' no matter what distribution I try to boot. First time it happened I thought it was damaged wifi, but turned out to be some software had somehow changed BIOS settings in some as yet undiscovered way. I don't even know what BIOS change occurred since everything looked the same... Anyway, whenever that happens on my machine a fix is to go into BIOS and reset to 'defaults' - no idea why that works, as I say, and can't say if that would work on any other machine, but worth a try... Certainly, I would have considered my machine a wireless 'brick' had I not stumbled upon that 'wifi reset' procedure. Doing all sorts of rfkill command, on the other hand, did not fix anything...

wiak

rockedge

#20 Post by rockedge »

not that important but I got a 2005 IBM ThinkPad T-42 with these specs and no hard drive to run Bionic 18.05+8 and a kernel 4.17 from a cheap 4 gig Flash drive ...... and is actually running well

Code: Select all

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
Memory Allocation:
 Total RAM: 742 MB
 Used RAM: 683 MB
 Free RAM: 59 MB
 Buffers: 34 MB
 Cached: 404 MB
 Total Swap: 0 MB
 Free Swap: 0 MB

Actual Used RAM: 245 MB  	Used - (buffers + cached)
 Actual Free RAM: 497 MB	Free + (buffers + cached)

Linux Kernel: 4.17.0 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Sat Jul 21 11:57:04 EDT 2018
Build GCC: 7.3.0
PAE Enabled: Yes

Kernel Command Line:
psubdir=/BB+8k417nopae pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck forcepae

jss83

#21 Post by jss83 »

@wiak, it's too late to try anything now, got frustrated last night and hit it with a hammer, it was old anyway, getting a new one soon as they're pretty cheap.

@rockedge, nothing wrong with your kernel if it doesn't runs bad hardware.

Thanks to all for help :)