USB installer originally by 01micko, but seriously hacked

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
gyro

USB installer originally by 01micko, but seriously hacked

#1 Post by gyro »

install2usb version 0.4.10

This all started here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 322#983322.
But I have serioiusly hacked this code to do something slightly different.

When the original code produced a 2 partition usb stick, it stored the vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a vfat first partition, and the Puppy sfs files in a Linux second partition.
This created a problem for the change_kernels script since the vmlinuz and zdrv...sfs were in different partitions.

This version produces a 2 partition usb stick in a different layout.
All the Puppy files are stored in a sub-directory in a vfat first partition. Much like a typical Puppy frugal install directory.
It also creates a sub-directory with the same name, in a Linux second partition.
It then adds a "psavemark=2" parameter to the boot entry, so that all saving is done in the Linux partition, and the Linux partition becomes /mnt/home.
So, UEFI is happy with vmlinuz being on the vfat partition, and the change_kernels script has no problems finding the vmlinuz since it's in the same directory as the zdrv...sfs.

Contrast this with a typical 2 partition layout using grub4dos.
Then the vfat first partition would contain only grub4dos.
The Linux second partition would contain all the Puppy files in a sub-directory, and saving would occur in this same directory.

Of course grub4dos or syslinux can also use this different layout.

I have published this version of install2usb in a separate topic to highlight this different layout, it has potential in a UEFI world.

Attached files:
"overlay_installers-0.9e.sfs" contains this version of "install2usb" and some supporting utilities. This can be loaded as an extra sfs in a normal Puppy.
"install2usb" is provided for use in "overlay_init" Puppies, which already contain an older version of "install2usb". Unfortunately this version won't be in "overlay_init" until the next release, probably version 0.9.1.
"change_kernels" is a version that is compatible with this "install2usb", it's a replacement for the existing "change_kernels".

Usage:
After loading "overlay_installers-0.9e.sfs", or copying "install2usb" to "/usr/sbin/", open a console and type "install2usb".
Or, you may find "USB Installer - Flash Drives" in the "Setup" menu.

Note1: "psavemark=" is a classic Puppy boot parameter that has seen little use.
Note2: This version of install2usb is not restricted to "overlay_init" Puppies, it should run on most Puppies, and install most Puppies.
Note3: @01micko, I hope that one day you will take this hack, and turn it into a polished flash drive installer.

gyro
Attachments
overlay_installers-0.9e.sfs.gz
gunzip to produce "overlay_installers-0.9e.sfs"
(10.11 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
install2usb.gz
gunzip to produce "install2usb" script
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
change_kernels.gz
gunzip to produce "change_kernels" script
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by gyro on Mon 06 Aug 2018, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

hey gyro I got a Bionic 18.05+8 to boot beautifully using the overlay version.

depending on the usb stick... 3 partitions - vfat - ext4 - swap
or ext4 - swap or just ext4

this time second option ext4-swap with Bionic frugally installed in a sub directory and Grub4Dos doing the honors...a tahr 6.0.6 is on the stick as well.

I made the usb format with GParted...rox-filer to create the directories....rox-filer to open iso's and copy the files..grub4dos to start the menu and boot stuff...tweaked the menu a bit and rebooted.

works even better on the HDD's I just tested

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

@rockedge,
Thanks for testing.

I guess a question for this topic is, did you store all of Puppy in a sub-directory on the vfat partition and use a "psavemark=2" boot parameter to push saving/writing onto the ext4 partition?

gyro

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

Code: Select all

I guess a question for this topic is, did you store all of Puppy in a sub-directory on the vfat partition and use a "psavemark=2" boot parameter to push saving/writing onto the ext4 partition? 
the puppy files and save folder are on the ext4 in a sub directory...MBR and boot code in menu.lst on vfat

the vfat is there so certain machines see the USB stick at all.

I am setting up a stick with a similar structure and will place everything in the vfat and save folder in the ext4 and use psavemark=2

I could let you know the results.

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

rockedge wrote:I could let you know the results.
That would be great.
gyro