Dell Latitude 3340 Wireless (Solved)

richpearl

#1 Post by richpearl »

couldn't get LUPU or Slacko to work but xenial worked right out of the box!!!

AWESOME!!!

in need of a notebook with which to do my writing, i've recently acquired this machine. the cost was relatively painless, but cheap generally has hidden costs, and, after many years away from using Puppy Linux -- it was only because of the software i had to use for work, i'm a Winbloze detester -- i've found the process of getting back in touch with some of my past is not without issues. for one thing, my knowledge base has withered over the years, and my memory, crammed with the remnants of my recent travails, is enveloped amidst a fog through which i find myself traveling a road no longer mapped.

is anybody here using the Puppy with this vehicle? i've downloaded Lick and set up Lupu 5.25 -- chosen more for its familiarity from whence i used the Pup on my long defunct Thinkpad -- and i have gotten neither the WLAN nor the Network modules to load. i considered the idea of using the ndiswrapper but i haven't a clue as to which INF file to use. mind you there are only 875 (or more) files to choose from, but.....

anyone care to offer a suggestion? or, better yet, a roadmap? all clues are welcome.

from somewhere through the ether, its that rascally, rapacious rasorial runt, rich pearl

hamoudoudou

LICK is easy, isn'it..

#2 Post by hamoudoudou »

i've downloaded Lick and set up Lupu 5.2.5
LICK is easy, isn'it.. Then Lupu 5.2.5 and wireless.. , 5.2.5 miss drivers
B43 is an awful souvenir.. With an antenna and rcrsn51 help you should connect anywhere, even with 5.2.5

richpearl

Re: LICK is easy, isn't it..

#3 Post by richpearl »

yes, indeed! Lick is super easy. many years ago, when i first gave the Pup a spin, i used loadlin and grub4dos and had to spend quite a bit of time in troubleshooting and editing. i was afraid i was going to have to go that route again, but.... WHOA. if anything, Lick is too easy. and here i thought Linux was supposed to be Geek intensive :-)

anyways, the only issue i have at present involving the Net is that i have to manually connect to my wireless every other time i boot up into xenial. no big deal, but...

thanks for responding.

best to ya', rich

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, richpearl.

Depends, of course, on what chipset your wifi adapter is using. Hamadoudou's right on this score; if you're lumbered with the god-awful Broadcom B43 (a favourite of lower-end laptop manufacturers), then take my advice. Don't even bother with it. It's more trouble than it's worth... :roll:

Get yourself a USB wifi adapter.....but don't go out of your way to get summat shiny that catches the eye. Invariably they're brand-new, not yet supported by the kernel, and only have Windows support.....the kernel takes a few months to play 'catch-up'.

Do your research, and look for something with a well-supported chipset. Wikidevi is one of the best available user resources for finding Linux-compatible hardware.....including wifi adapters. Just enter your make & model in the search box at the top, and you should find out how well-supported (or otherwise) it is.

Linux has come on by leaps & bounds the last few years, and is now a genuinely serious straight-forward alternative for those who've had enough of Windoze..... :D

Mike. :wink:

richpearl

#5 Post by richpearl »

Hey Mike,

Linux has indeed come a long way from when i first looked at in the heady days of Win3.1. the chipset on my Dell is Intel and Xenial found it right away.

btw, i've taken note of your Wikidevi suggestion. thanks for the heads up.

best to ya,

traveling the ether, its rich pearl

hamoudoudou

This question was asked both places

#6 Post by hamoudoudou »

forum Puppy is the right place for hotline.. Many messages are posted on Puppy Linux Facebook first.. We send People to Murga forum, where accurate answers are given..
Facebook is for tea-time, for fun..
This question was asked both places.. (Carl Cromtom)
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Fri 13 Jul 2018, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

buy a dongle even for use at Home..

#7 Post by hamoudoudou »

ok with Xenial. For all Puppies on DELL computers, buy a dongle even for use at Home.. you will no longer need the wireless driver for DELL. The driver for antenna will make the job.. Lot of old puppies had not iwlwifi firmware, and others. A dongle makes them run quite all. Kernel was not changing so often in these lonely times.
I was given three DELL : D500 D630 A nigthtmare with Puppy 4.3.1..
At This time Puppy had no audio.. Wireless was not essential, you just had to keep cabled . Windows can be blamed for slowness; but we were happy to have everything working with it.. Linux won its reputation 'for geeks only'
That has changed.. You can play with a Puppy Linux, not only repair (or modify) . On Facebook we explain how.