restructuring puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#31 Post by dancytron »

nosystemd,

To remove the browser and some applications, remaster, and then construct an adrv with the same applications that you removed is not that difficult. I've done it as an experiment a couple of times.

If you want to repeat that experiment, more power to you. But, unless the people who are actually constructing and supporting the official or semi-official (I'd call radky's Stretch Puppy semi-official) adopt it, it really doesn't make any difference.

Puppy is a doacracy. You wanted a list.

For a proof of concept, I'd just remove the browser, abiword, and gnumeric. They are the biggest space consumers. Then produce 3 alternative adrv's:

1. an adrv with just Fred's firefox portable,
2. Fred's firefox portable, abiword, and gnumeric, and
3. Fred's firefox portable and libreoffice.

(I am suggesting Fred's portable firefox because a lot of the work is already done, you can just paste it into an SFS and it will work')

Set them up into 3 ISO's and upload them.

Dan

wanderer

#32 Post by wanderer »

hi all

the new nosystemdthanks puppy development system
(please forgive me nosystemdthanks)

3 scripts

1. script that builds the totally minimal iso
to start the process

2. script that builds an sfs file based on a list of packages

3. script that converts everything from everywhere
into packages the system can use

minimal iso loads what sfs files are desired
and you now have just the puppy you want

you can save
minimal isos
sfs files
and lists
for reference
and so things dont have to be done again
and mix and match them as you want

i couldnt build it
but i would use it

anyway dont pay any attention to me
just making suggestions

wanderer

wanderer

#33 Post by wanderer »

there may already be a great base for this system
that could save a great deal of time and work

i would look at goingnuts pupngo project
it is very similar
and there is a 700 mg tarball
with a lot of his stuff related to the project

thats what i would do if i was a genius

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#34 Post by nosystemdthanks »

dancytron wrote:nosystemd,

To remove the browser and some applications, remaster, and then construct an adrv with the same applications that you removed is not that difficult. I've done it as an experiment a couple of times.
oh listen, ive already made things to remaster puppy, thats no concern. if you want proof of concept ive got proof of concept going back 2 years.
If you want to repeat that experiment, more power to you.
not at all, and im glad youre in this thread because this is basically a reply to your post.

But, unless the people who are actually constructing and supporting the official or semi-official (I'd call radky's Stretch Puppy semi-official) adopt it
well, which puppy is most official to you? i prefer tahr but i suppose its xenial now. would you be so kind as to point me to the url for a single "official" iso? im not being sarcastic nor do i need help finding the downloads section, but its your answer in particular that id like to this. please.

Puppy is a doacracy. You wanted a list.
i still do. when i get the iso url and list i intend to start doing.
For a proof of concept, I'd just remove the browser, abiword, and gnumeric. They are the biggest space consumers. Then produce 3 alternative adrv's:

1. an adrv with just Fred's firefox portable,
2. Fred's firefox portable, abiword, and gnumeric, and
3. Fred's firefox portable and libreoffice.

for starters i was planning to just change the contents of one iso and multiple adrvs. if thats not what you were talking about in wanderers thread would you explain the idea further so i have a better idea what im setting out to do?

multiple isos was not part of the idea i thought. doable perhaps, but leaves me wanting more explanation.

also, from you and bigpup, please point me to where this is already being done (especially if its up to date.)

whether i want to duplicate efforts already made depends on what efforts were already successful. if bigpup says this idea is done many times already, i want to know why im signing up to do it again.

if you dont think its useful please say so, then i would turn my attention to corepup instead.

it was your idea originally (as in your version of the idea in wanderers thread) so im going to put the greatest stock in your opinion about it. let me know. cheers.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

One of the features I wish for is the ability to boot a generic pup - then make a customisation (which might be as simple as creating a text file somewhere, or deleting a text file somewhere) then trap that customisation and have it set in concrete in an sfs - which I can load or unload at will.

The customisation might be much more complex than just adding a text file - i might be adding a whole suite of artistic utilities, or a whole suite of browsers.

Of course this is what is normally encapsulated in a save file or save folder - but I want the ability to "snapshot" the system at some point (or multiple points) after boot and create the individually named sfs files as/when required and load them later (either at boot or on the fly).

I think this is sort of like the multisession CD choices that were previously available - except that I would like the ability to create the "sfs snapshots" as many times as I want before shutdown.

jamesbond

#36 Post by jamesbond »

For the ultimate customisation (in case some of you missed it): Fatdog ISO Builder. Edit text file, put in your list of packages, then run build script to make SFS or ISO. You can even test your build without re-booting - just run the newly-built SFS/ISO with qemu (scripts to do that is included in the package). Don't like it, just edit the text file, and build again. Rinse and repeat until clean.

Downside? If the package you want doesn't exist, you need to hunt it down from Fatdog64 Contributed Packages thread, or build it yourself. Tools to build packages is included in Fatdog too. So you have all the bases covered.

But of course it's not Puppy, it's Fatdog. But Fatdog is once a pup too, right? :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

nic007

#37 Post by nic007 »

I've been using Puppy as a modular system for years. No need to remaster and the base sfs always intact. A request could simply be that the publisher of a new official Puppy releases two flavours, one with the standard builtin applications and another without the standard builtin applications. Having said that - it's quite easy to remove the builtin software you don't want albeit that the remove builtin apllication is a bit cumbersome to use. We actually just need a more user friendly script to remove builtin applications (eg. One where the user can select all those applications to be removed in one go and in one operation. Currently you have to select one by one). We also need a comprehensive library of ready-made sfs add-on files.

nic007

#38 Post by nic007 »

greengeek wrote:One of the features I wish for is the ability to boot a generic pup - then make a customisation (which might be as simple as creating a text file somewhere, or deleting a text file somewhere) then trap that customisation and have it set in concrete in an sfs - which I can load or unload at will.

The customisation might be much more complex than just adding a text file - i might be adding a whole suite of artistic utilities, or a whole suite of browsers.

Of course this is what is normally encapsulated in a save file or save folder - but I want the ability to "snapshot" the system at some point (or multiple points) after boot and create the individually named sfs files as/when required and load them later (either at boot or on the fly).

I think this is sort of like the multisession CD choices that were previously available - except that I would like the ability to create the "sfs snapshots" as many times as I want before shutdown.
I include the sfs files I always want to load in the ydrv (in my case java and wine) and the others as add-ons to be loaded on the fly if needed during a session. The process of loading on the fly can be simplified by making a one-click script for each add-on sfs (or one script where you can select those you want to load on the fly).