Edit .avi and .MOV files on Fatdog

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PappyPuppy

Edit .avi and .MOV files on Fatdog

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

Due to Quicktime plugin issues with Qt4 I can no longer do much with these editors, and I have been resorting to using ffmpeg to convert my .MOV files to .avi.

I would like to now edit them.

In the meantime, I will use ffmpeg (I used it before) to crop the videos. I should be ok for a couple days as I only need to shorten my videos, but in the long run, just wondering if there is another editor or the same ones that I can download and/or reinstall so I can edit on Fatdog on my 7.02 machine.

PappyPuppy

I just did the trimming using ffmpeg

#2 Post by PappyPuppy »

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -c copy -ss 00:00:00 -t 00:00:06 outputfile.avi

as an example of what I used. I just wanted the videos < 10MB. I should also compress them. mpeg 4 codec is always good for that.

PappyPuppy

I then compressed them using ffmpeg

#3 Post by PappyPuppy »

I used this command:
ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -acodec copy output.avi

And it gave me pretty close to 10x compression which is what I wanted. I have found compressions as high as 100x with mp4 but I don't really need that. I'm not sure what the defaults used in the above command are.

So my little video story is ok now. It would be nice to make it into a movie. I used to use Microsoft Video Editor. I guess I can upload to a Windows machine some time in the next couple days. The files are < 500KB now.