Which Puppy has video that works with Wyse mobo? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
earlytv

Which Puppy has video that works with Wyse mobo? (Solved)

#1 Post by earlytv »

I have a very small motherboard from a WYSE C50LE with a VIA VX855 chipset. The puppy linux that lets you pick what type of video driver you will use has the best chance to install. The puppy linux that picks its own driver will come up with a black screen or a very messed up screen full of angled lines. One puppy said hit the reset, dont have one, and the next time you could pick the driver? Any way to pick driver on these? One small note said hold down Ctrl and Alt and the tap backspace?
I use this motherboard for its very small size to put into strange items to make them a computer.
What newer puppy linux can I use for this?
The best so far is a puppy linux XP. Firefox in it did a update to ver 45 and it has many apps.

A non puppy linux, linux lite., set up its own video driver and it installs but is very very slow.

mostly_lurking

#2 Post by mostly_lurking »

earlytv wrote:The puppy linux that lets you pick what type of video driver you will use has the best chance to install.
As far as I know, the only Puppy which does this is Wary, which brings up the manual xorgwizard config dialog at first boot. All others that I've tried auto-configure the driver.

However, all Puppies can be booted without starting the X server. On older Puppies which don't have a boot menu with this option, press "F2" or "F3" at the boot splash screen, then type puppy pfix=nox at the command line and press Enter. Once it has finished booting, type xorgwizard to run the graphics setup dialog. If X doesn't start up automatically afterwards, type xwin.

There are some differences in the xorgwizard scripts of older and newer Puppies - the older ones (Wary and Lucid) have very detailed configuration options with a full list of drivers to choose from, the newer ones seem to try to "guess" which drivers might work with your hardware, and only let you choose between those. Wary also has Xvesa as an alternative to the standard Xorg X server, in case Xorg doesn't work with your hardware.

It may also be possible to influence the driver settings by changing some boot options, as in this case:
Old Laptop - Black Screen
You'll have to ask someone else for advice about these things, though... I don't know much about it, I merely saw that thread about someone having problems with a black screen.
earlytv wrote:One small note said hold down Ctrl and Alt and the tap backspace?
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace is used to exit the X server and return to the command line. I'm not sure if this will work if X isn't running correctly due to a mis-configured graphics driver.

darry19662018

#3 Post by darry19662018 »

Actually the Stretchpup does ask first boot which driver to use unlike other CE pups.

earlytv

#4 Post by earlytv »

Xvesa seems to have a better chance to work and you say most puppies do not have that?

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

earlytv wrote:Xvesa seems to have a better chance to work and you say most puppies do not have that?
Only Wary and the older Puppies (Puppy 4 etc.) seem to have it as an option in their xorgwizard dialog.

Note: do not confuse the Xvesa graphics server with the generic Xorg "vesa" video driver, which is included in all Puppies. Despite the similar name, those are two different things. The "vesa" driver should work with most hardware and is usually the first thing to try if Puppy doesn't have a specific driver for your video card, or if that specific driver doesn't work as it should. Wary and older Puppies include Xvesa as an alternative X server for computers that don't work well with the Xorg graphics server which Puppy uses by default.

earlytv

#6 Post by earlytv »

Thanks all, darry19662018 thanks for info on Stretch, it works on wyse system with vesa.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ earlytv:-

Racy 5.5 might be worth a look. It's been described as 'Wary on steroids', and, AFAIK, it too gives you the options of what drivers, screen sizes, etc., to pick at first boot.

Just my tuppence-worth. If I'm wrong, I'm willing to stand corrected..!

Mike. :wink:

darry19662018

#8 Post by darry19662018 »

earlytv wrote:Thanks all, darry19662018 thanks for info on Stretch, it works on wyse system with vesa.
cool:)

earlytv

#9 Post by earlytv »

Racy 5.5 works with vesa but the sea monkey for browser does not go to all the spots I go to. Can something better be installed? Like palemoon?

Because the hard drive is a micro drive and I have 20 of those that plug into a socket on a 44 pin ide cable, the motherboard has that, I can have many different op systems.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. If you're talking about the version of SeaMonkey that came with Racy, it's pretty ancient. And that's a fact.

Question:- Are you a committed Mozilla man.....or would you be happy using the very last Linux 32-bit version of Google Chrome? Because there's two avenues you can take here.....both of which work with Racy, and all of which is in use in my own install of Racy 5.5.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to go the Mozilla route, here's two .pets you can try. Credit for these goes to watchdog, who's built both of them with an updated glibc (the 'General C library' round which your entire OS is constructed). The only reason they're coming from my Google Drive is because I can't find the links for the original downloads.....so I've uploaded my own copies for you to try.

Firefox 45.9.0 ESR:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QyCWSn ... sp=sharing

.....and PaleMoon 26.2.2:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14UGJSr ... sp=sharing

(These were in fact built for Wary, but since Racy is simply a 'supercharged' version of Wary ('Wary on steroids'), they install, and run, without incident. Neither are bang-up-to-date - Racy just won't run stuff that new, I'm afraid - but both are good, solid, serviceable browsers.)

-----------------------------------------

The other route is the Google Chrome one. This was made possible by battleshooter, who figured out how to 'upgrade' Racy's ancient glibc 2.11 to a much more modern glibc 2.20. The 'how-to' can be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=806989

The original links as given are now non-functional. A large part of battleshooter's software packages disappeared during some catastrophe or other, but much of it was 'rescued' by russoodle. However, the rescued material was retrieved in no particular order, and is consequently rather jumbled up (and requires a good deal of digging through to find the specific .pets needed for this exercise).

I've put together an archive package with all the .pets required, along with folders that number the order in which they need to be installed ('Step1', 'Step2', etc.). Just open each folder in turn, and install the contents.

Racy-Glibc_220-upgrade:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uyjN1F ... sp=sharing

Once you've done that, re-boot (just to make sure). Upon re-booting, you can then install the following; the very final Linux release of 32-bit Google Chrome, 48.0.2564.116.....and still a very capable browser. I've re-packed this tonight with the current, up-to-date version of PepperFlash; 30.0.0.113.

Google_Chrome-48.0.2564.116-i686:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HvSYnJ ... sp=sharing

---------------------------------------------------------

The choice, as they say, is yours. You've got all the available options there; it's entirely up to you which one you want to go for.

Hope some of that helps.

earlytv

#11 Post by earlytv »

WOW!
Thanks much!
I have 2 Wyse C50LE, super small, and one has DPUP STRETCH, I am on it now, the other one has RACY 5.5. Dpup has Pale Moon 27.9.3 which I like.
Because DPUP is different I am on it now playing with it.
Will get on the Racy unit late today or early FRI.
I am not a software man I hope I get all that Racy stuff correct. I do not like chrome so will not try that stuff, THANKS.

Just tried palemoon on RACY unit and it changed items like the Menu button and some colors on some items and something called start does not work in palemoon? Is there a un installer?

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

earlytv wrote:I do not like chrome so will not try that stuff
No worries.

Many people don't (you're in good company there). But I simply felt it would have been remiss of me not to at least make you aware of all the options. That way, you do have the choice.

I used to be a regular Firefox user myself, many years ago. It was the defacto alternative to using MyCrudSoft's crappy Internet Explorer, and for quite a while I was satisfied with it. FF then had a long spell of getting steadily more bloated, more sluggish, and developed a distinct tendency to just crash.....often for no apparent reason. Add to that the persistent problems it had with memory leaks, and a lot of folks were getting fed-up with it.

I tried the very first, beta pre-release version of Chrome back in Autumn 2008.....and was instantly hooked. I dropped Firefox, and for a long while didn't even bother with it. I've always kept an eye on what Mozilla were up to with it, though, and with the release of Quantum I gotta confess to being seriously impressed that they've finally got their act together at long last.

I now run both alongside each other, and switch back & forth between the two.

------------------------------------------------

There's a lot of stuff in the Racy repos that doesn't really run the way it's supposed to, I've found; sometimes not at all. But there's plenty of software that runs very well in Racy; you've just got to dig around in the Forum to some extent to find it.

Any queries about software, just ask (or drop me a PM.....it's up to you). Puppy's all about 'choice', of course; when it boils down to it, we all of us want a stable OS that does what we want it to.

Let us know how you get on with Racy, and your browser of choice, please.