locking own thread

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
wiak

locking own thread

#1 Post by wiak »

It is objectionable to me that my own work thread is locked against my editing or altering it as I see fit. Whether it is abandoned or not that is MY intellectual property over which I have legal rights that no one on this forum. moderator or otherwise, has rights to deny me. The conversation there had already ended but the technical content is mine and mine only - not this forums.

At the very minimum I have rights to ask for my data and intellectual property to be deleted in that case, which I now do.

Naturally locking my intellectual property right in that way will provoke a reaction from me, which would not have otherwise occurred. But let this be notice that I now also require you to delete that thread containing my work, which is my property according to the data protection acts of most countries in the world. I had made it very clear that the code itself was purely pre-alpha for testing purposes only and had made it clear that the project at this stage was for my personal purposes only (albeit with an intention to publish as open source later should I consider at my discretion if there was sufficient interest to the Puppy Linux 'leadership' team).

wiak

mfb

#2 Post by mfb »

Flash - if you can think of a reason to ban wiac/mcewanw we could all have a bit of peace.

When you want your thread locked and someone obliges don't whinge - you should have understood, but you didn't.

Addendum (1)

You and only you wrote:

This thread is closed.

but it wan't and you must surely have known that it wasn't

so, I repeat, someone obliged you.

What is the point in cleaning-up anything - you either stand by what you wrote (despite all errors) - or you don't.

Addendum (2)

This techy techie pair of identical twi_s gratuitously attacked the major all-star contributors rcrsn51 and MochiMoppel, but (acting with the dignity of gentlemen) the stars ignored those slurs.

From a more personal perspective, the twi_s added more than 5,000 pointless characters to my simple request in this thread .
Last edited by mfb on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 18:28, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#3 Post by wiak »

@mfb: Whoever you are, or presume yourself to be, I did not ask for my thread to be locked. I have to clean up an abandoned project or re-organise it to however I wish. It is my data. I also had the right to re-open it for Dog purposes only if I decided that as an alternative way forward - these were matters I was contemplating before that rude and ultra-sudden lock out, without any due notice given to myself.

wiak

#4 Post by wiak »

I ask one more time for my thread to be opened for my use before I react further.

misko_2083

Re: locking own thread

#5 Post by misko_2083 »

wiak wrote:It is objectionable to me that my own work thread is locked against my editing or altering it as I see fit. Whether it is abandoned or not that is MY intellectual property over which I have legal rights that no one on this forum. moderator or otherwise, has rights to deny me. The conversation there had already ended but the technical content is mine and mine only - not this forums.

At the very minimum I have rights to ask for my data and intellectual property to be deleted in that case, which I now do.

Naturally locking my intellectual property right in that way will provoke a reaction from me, which would not have otherwise occurred. But let this be notice that I now also require you to delete that thread containing my work, which is my property according to the data protection acts of most countries in the world. I had made it very clear that the code itself was purely pre-alpha for testing purposes only and had made it clear that the project at this stage was for my personal purposes only (albeit with an intention to publish as open source later should I consider at my discretion if there was sufficient interest to the Puppy Linux 'leadership' team).

wiak
You are not making any sense. Please don't make these false claims. If you check you will see that Gtkdialog is licenced under GPL 2. https://github.com/01micko/gtkdialog/bl ... er/COPYING

Forget about the GPL for a moment, and look at copyright. When you fork a project, all code that was present in the original project is copyright of whoever wrote that code in the original project.
All code that you write afterwards is your copyright. So unless you re-write all the code from the original project, that code isn't yours and you have no legal rights.

Next you look at the GPL license, and check what rights it gives you beyond the rights of copyright law.
It allows you to create derivative works which makes the whole forking business legal in the first place - with plain copyright law, you wouldn't be allowed to create a derivative work.
Next, it allows you to use the code as long as you don't distribute it. So as long as nobody else can lay their hands on the forked code, GPL allows you to do what you want with it.

However, if you distribute the forked code, including someone else's copyrighted code, you only have the permission of the copyright holder if you follow their rules.
One rule is that you must license the whole code under the GPL (including your own). Another rule is that you must give the source code to others; check the GPL for details.

Changing the license would be difficult, as long as any of the original code is still there.
You cannot license your code in a way that prevents the next guy from using the code in the way that GPL allowed,
you also can't allow them to do things with the code that GPL doesn't allow.

As for your forum posts, I don't see how are such posts your intelectual property.
Generally, everything you publish on the internet stays there forever.
It's easy to forget that anything written online can and will be found for the foreseeable future. And this can hurt your image. So, choose your words wisely and think twice before you write a post.

wiak

#6 Post by wiak »

I was talking about my written texts. You are mistaken about that becoming the property of the forum. I abandoned the fork itself though was considering the matter further but enough is enough now.

wiak

#7 Post by wiak »

ha ha ha

my god, you take life too seriously. I am retired - what the hell does image matter in that silly world view of small distribution Linux forums chat. I won't be contributing further anyway. And bullying me is a waste of your time and anyone elses too - you just make matters worse, when bullying is effectively what caused the issue in the first place. Does it make you feel important quoting the GPL, as if we are not all perfectly well informed? Get a life mate.

I wont be distributing anything. Believe me. And I have requested all material to be deleted accordingly. Puppy Linux forum have no rights to distribute anything and gtkdialog remains exactly as it always did with no harm done. Of course if I decided to publish the project, following the initial research results, it would have been GPLv2 - I am not going ahead with the work and that is fair enough, but I can do what I like in the privacy of my own home hereafter, thanks.
Last edited by wiak on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

#8 Post by mcewanw »

wrong thread. This one should be locked such a load of nonsense being talked on it.

backi

#9 Post by backi »

Last edited by backi on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#10 Post by wiak »

yeah, the blues backi. It was enough to have project demeaned but even worse to be locked out of it. I had abandoned it temporarily before whilst I took time to cool off and reconsider but I didn't expect that absolute sabotage which is almost like stealing a persons thoughts before they have even decided to formally publish, and where, and how - that's what I was really thinking about how to resolve. I certainly didn't want to do it on Puppy so they should let go - probably would still have been the Dogs, but this act of locking was a real put down. Oh well, actually I don't have the blues - like you in a way, I don't take any of this too seriously myself. I try to work hard and do my best, simply cos I am a bit of a perfectionist - not that anything I do ever comes out anything like as 'perfect' as I like it - this project certainly hasn't though it did have a lot of promise, if only I had been quietly left to decide how I would progress it further. But I've lost interest now - left a bad taste in my mouth - despite me still smiling! :-)

wiak

misko_2083

#11 Post by misko_2083 »

wiak wrote:And bullying me is a waste of your time and anyone elses too.
Whoah, hold your horses!

You must have had too much Vodka comrade Wiak. :D
How else could I explain the need to always twist the meaning of peoples words.

Let's check the symptoms of Vodka intoxication are here:
- Thinking everyone is picking just on you. ✓
- Overreacting while you constantly play the victim ✓
- Meaningless sentences ✓
- Crazy laughing ✓
- Double vision (dual accounts in you case) ✓

Now, bullying would be if I give you Rakia instead of Vodka. That'd be really fun. :D

wiak

#12 Post by wiak »

That's good, I thought you were a bully for a minute there.

fredx181

#13 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,

Hopefully for you, you can leave this unpleasant experience behind and find some peace soon.
Do it ! For your own sake. (maybe just try to imagine that there doesn't exist a Puppy-Linux forum, I did that sometimes when I got tired of things and it worked for me (well... to some degree.. :)).
I mean, there's life also without Dogs, Puppies, and so on... (of course basically you know, just trying to make you remember :wink: )
And if you still feel like doing some programming/developing in the future, I hope for you that you're having fun with it and that it will give you some sort of satisfaction...

Best Regards and thanks for all your efforts (which I regret that it didn't work out as you (and me, btw) had wished for)

P.S. I agree that locking the thread was totally wrong, you've said already it's closed, so why lock it, and.. no explanation at all. (I remember ttuuxxx did lock one of the Dog threads once, but that was because there was no respect for the OP saying "Closed, please don't post here" and ttuuxxx explained why he did lock it)

EDIT: BTW, great post from Dr. Backi, THE HEALER ! enjoyed that. :)

Fred

nosystemdthanks

#14 Post by nosystemdthanks »

joke first (only because i intensely dislike arguments around "intellectual property") and then advice, only because im actually sympathetic (and unsure which thread this is about, but still going to guess.)

joke: (actually half-serious) you should have invoked gdpr rather than intellectual property. its more relevant to this. but i suppose it only counts if youre in the eu.

advice: you had a post where you demanded people stopped replying. people were bothering you in it. the thread was locked-- for whatever reason-- both stopping people from replying (as you wished) and preventing people from bothering you further.

but that depends on whether we are talking about the same thread.

as for intellectual property: you posted it on someone elses physical property. if youre going to charge them with copyright infringement (this doesnt read like its about trademark or patents) they might as well charge you with vandalising the server. i mean this is silly. move to the eu and invoke gdpr instead.

if it were up to me, id let you copy your work and then delete your posts for you. but only because youve had a bad week and only because i hope it gets better soon. good luck.

fredx181

#15 Post by fredx181 »

@nosystemdthanks
This is the thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113497
In my opinion, if someone says "No more correspondence here please. This thread is closed." it would be polite if that's respected.
That way the OP can change his mind and could as he wish open it again at a later point of time.
When it's locked, then that is not possible. Big difference.

Fred

nosystemdthanks

#16 Post by nosystemdthanks »

fredx181 wrote:In my opinion, if someone says "No more correspondence here please. This thread is closed." it would be polite if that's respected.
i agree, thats why i didnt reply after that. and thats the thread i thought we were talking about.

That way the OP can change his mind and could as he wish open it again at a later point of time.
When it's locked, then that is not possible. Big difference.
i get it, it would be far more practical for the thread to be unlocked. there are threads i too wish i would say "you know what? just b***** off" and people would comply, though ive never been to a forum polite enough to honour that request.

locking gives them no choice, and i actually suspected (whether naively or realistically) that the person who locked it was trying to help someone at least.

which makes it unnecessary to try to throw (implied) legal threats at them. i mean yes-- in practical terms, better to just leave it.

but then you wouldnt sue the fire department for water damage when they werent just putting the flames out, they were also preventing them from spreading to the neighbors.

considering that the topic is locked already, the most likely course of action that will give wiak what he wants is to copy his information to a site he has more control over (lets pretend for a moment im the best friend in the world, and actually trying to solve this despite all odds) and then request that the thread or his posts be deleted.

instead we are trying the accuse the moderators route. if that works, i will apologise for butting in.

its 7 pages-- a lot to moderate per-post.

im trying to think of a way to do what he wants that doesnt rely on staying on good terms with the moderator, though they all involve copying the data somewhere else first and then finding a way to delete the posts.

sure, i get that it was more ideal when the thread wasnt locked, but now it is. that changes a few things, like what to do.

fredx181

#17 Post by fredx181 »

nosystemdthanks wrote:locking gives them no choice, and i actually suspected (whether naively or realistically) that the person who locked it was trying to help someone at least.
Could be, anyway: Mr. Moderator, whoever you are, please at least say something !?

cousinFrancis

#18 Post by cousinFrancis »

Hi wiak.

Look at it this way:
-- with a locked thread, your content is safe and your comments are safe;
-- if you absolutely want to edit or add a comment in that locked thread, you could create another thread about that, and say whatever you like with a reference to the post in the closed thread.

If you want to continue developing your script (it included some use of the dash shell, I believe), perhaps you can become a member on these specialiezd forums and work on it there:
https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/
http://bashscripts.org/forum/
Those forums have strict policies about outside interferences, IIRC.

Also did I not read in that closed thread that nosystemdthanks has offered you a place to work on and publish your script on his forum? I don't think there is a clique there (maybe go have a look to confirm?).

Just a few thoughts.

As the proverb says: "The bird on the branch does not fear the branch breaking because he can just open his wings."
Similarly, the support you thought you had was cut? Just "open" your talent, like wings, and let it fly.
Hopefully these thoughts can lift your mood?

Best regards.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

*Sigh* I lock a thread that the originator labeled "abandoned," so that people don't keep posting to it pointlessly, and before the next time I see the forum the originator of that thread starts a new thread to complain about the old one being locked -- and the new thread is several pages long. :?

Wiak, first of all, you don't really believe that anything you post to an all-Internet forum remains your exclusive intellectual property do you? Good luck trying to enforce your ownership "rights."

I didn't read very carefully every post in the thread before I locked it, but from my cursory examination Wiak seemed to imply that other approaches worked better than his and that's why he's abandoning his. I could have simply removed the thread rather than locking it, but failures have value so I left it for others to perhaps learn from.

ITSMERSH

#20 Post by ITSMERSH »

I lock a thread that the originator labeled "abandoned," so that people don't keep posting to it pointlessly
If I only had knew this, I would have made last posts in some of my topics saying they were "abandoned" instead of being "discontinued". :shock: