Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Jul 2019, 20:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
XnView multi-purpose photo viewer/editor
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 12:14    Post subject:  XnView multi-purpose photo viewer/editor  

Ran accross a real neat little program last night called XnView. It's primarily an image viewer, but with some added features. It can:

open about 400 image formats-it opened some photoshop files that not even Gimp would open
export 50 formats
slideshow feature
tonal adjustments such as brightness, contrast, gamma, and color balance
resize, crop, some filters, add metadata, do batch conversion
create a thumbnail image gallery in HTML
It's also multi platform
and a host of other features. It is not, however a paint or retouching program.

I tried it out by putting the files in the appropriate directories and it seems to run just fine in Puppy 1.03. The size is reasonably small. Since it seems like a pretty simple program I'm going to try and make this my first dotpup. It seems to need one file and a symlink in /usr/lib but doesn't care where anything else is located, so it seems like a good first project.

It may take me a while to do this as I'm pretty busy right now. If anyone feels like trying it out and letting me know what you think, I did it by downloading the RPM from www.xnview.com. I used the unrpm/undeb dotpup to extract the files and put them in the appropriate directories and it worked without a hitch. Anyway, let me know if you're interested.

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan F on Mon 11 Jul 2005, 17:28; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 13:31    Post subject:  

Move the files around and wrote the AppRun script for it. Works fine out of my-roxapps. Will see about writing the install script later. So far so good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Bruce B

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 13:58    Post subject:  

I find XnView indespensible.

Only fault I find with XnView/Puppy is won't print screen. This is not a big deal for all its other working (and unique) features.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 15:15    Post subject:  

I forgot to mention one extremely important piece of information regarding the program. It is currently distributed as freeware, and so is not under the GPL. I have written to the author for permission to make it available to other users on the Wiki but until I hear back from him I definately won't be able to put it there. I'm still going to make the dotpup, as I need to learn how and this is turning into a goood learning project. Will post again when I know more.

Nathan
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 16:31    Post subject:  

I made the dotpup. Works well. Laughing
Anyone who wants to try it out PM me and I'll make it available to you. It might be a while before I know whether I have strict legal permission to put it on the wiki. Been fun!

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2005, 14:35    Post subject:  

Well, I just recieved a letter in response to my query. I have full permission to distribute my dotpup version of the program so long as the author gets credit and the original license is included. I want to make a few tweaks before I release it. I'm going to try and make an uninstall script and see if I can figure out how to register it with pupget. Since this is my learning project I'm going to try and learn how to do it right. Should be ready in a couple days.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2005, 14:36    Post subject:  

That was me above. Forgot to sign in.
Nathan
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2005, 14:57    Post subject:  

It is a very good program. If it is reliable then it should prove very useful. The interface and filters and variety of supported formats all should make it a popular dotpup. Good luck with the DotPup.

Smile

May have another go at producing a dotpup soon. It seems to be easy enough but probably a little time consuming for those unused to bash.

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2005, 01:25    Post subject:  

I have a version that I feel is okay to unleash on everyone. Many thanks to Bruce B and Lobster for trying out the earlier version. The latest dotpup registers with pupget and seems to play nice overall. I recieved a reply from Pierre-E Gouglet, the author of the software, giving permission to make the program available here, which I have included in the package. Please not that this is somewhat of a large program. The dotpup comes to 1483K and the installed size will be a little over 3.5meg. Personally I feel that it's worth it for all of the functionality that you get. I would appreciate any and all feedback, especially in the form of tips that I can use to learn and become better at doing this. Since the size is a bit too large to post here, I'm putting it on my server temporarily. The url is:

ftp://ftp.texasangel.biz/XnView.pup

Nathan
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2005, 01:43    Post subject:  

Nathan F wrote:
I have a version that I feel is okay to unleash on everyone. Many thanks to Bruce B and Lobster for trying out the earlier version. The latest dotpup registers with pupget and seems to play nice overall. I recieved a reply from Pierre-E Gouglet, the author of the software, giving permission to make the program available here, which I have included in the package. Please not that this is somewhat of a large program. The dotpup comes to 1483K and the installed size will be a little over 3.5meg. Personally I feel that it's worth it for all of the functionality that you get. I would appreciate any and all feedback, especially in the form of tips that I can use to learn and become better at doing this. Since the size is a bit too large to post here, I'm putting it on my server temporarily. The url is:

ftp://ftp.texasangel.biz/XnView.pup

Nathan

Oh I say registers with Pupget . . .
Most of the Pupgets have the size of download - when you hover over them. If you really need a program, size for most people is less of an issue.

Very nice program, easy to use - obvious - you know that kind of stuff do not have to learn it (learn how to use a program? Wot? Not this cructacean . . .

thanks Nathan . . .

Smile

Last edited by Lobster on Thu 24 Nov 2005, 00:13; edited 1 time in total
Nathan F

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2005, 17:38    Post subject:  

I have made one last tweak to this dotpup, but I don't think that I'm going to take it any further. This final version can now be started from the command line. I figured out how to add it manually to the icewm, jwm, and fvwm95 menus but if anyone else wants to do it you will have to do it yourself. There is a mini-icon ready that will show up beside your menu entry if you set it up right. I'm going to leave it on my server for a while since it's too large to upload here. That's about it for me.

Nathan

PS-if anyone has already downloaded and installed the trial version and wants to use the final version, make sure you delete the entry out of alienpackages.txt so that you don't end up with duplicate entries. You can then just click on the new dotpup and it should give you the command line option without affecting anything else.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2005, 18:07    Post subject:  

Nathan, I had a problem displaying the good looking icons in the my-roxapps folder you made.

This would fix it.

Put the ~/my-roxapps/XnView/docs/xnview1.xpm

here

~/my-roxapps/XnView/

as .DirIcon

for this

~/my-roxapps/XnView/.DirIcon

If it doesn't show up - it's probably because Rox cached something - reboot, restart X or whatever - it will show up.

Very good package and well done.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2005, 18:39    Post subject:  

Okay now I'm done. I'd tried it before but it hadn't worked. Sometimes capitol i's look the same as lower case l's to me and I think I just misspelled .DirIcon when I tried it before. I might change my default fonts to avoid that in the future. I was having a similar problem with the cinepaint dotpup as the lib files have interesting names like:

libIlmmImf.so

Now you try and figure out which is which by looking at your screen! Anyway, silly mistake that is now fixed. I hope I don't have to keep coming back to this one. Thanks for al the help and testing, Bruce.

Nathan
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2005, 20:12    Post subject:  

Nathan F wrote:
Okay now I'm done. I'd tried it before but it hadn't worked. Sometimes capitol i's look the same as lower case l's to me and I think I just misspelled .DirIcon when I tried it before

Linux is stricter than an English teacher with a bun in her hair.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2005, 20:42    Post subject:  

you can have an icon file named AppIcon.xpm instead of .DirIcon ... sometimes that will work when the .DirIcon file won't

also, you can make .DirIcon a symlink to another file ... it can be a file in the app dir if you like

you can copy the path and name of a file or folder by holding the ctrl key and left clicking it (in a rox window), which can be convenient when making dotpups ... middle click to paste
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: