How to install FF 60.0 on tahrpup 6.05? [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

How to install FF 60.0 on tahrpup 6.05? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by nubc »

Tahrpup 6.05 is running passably well on this Dell Precision 390 dual core 2.8 GHz, 4 GB ram, 4 TB hdd. A certain frequently visited site is insisting that I upgrade FF to the next version from current version FF 57.0 Quantum. I downloaded the 32-bit Linux version of FF from the link to Mozilla provided by the site. The downloaded FF file is firefox-60.0.tar.bz2.

How do I install FF 60.0 on tahrpup 6.05?
Last edited by nubc on Sun 20 May 2018, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

I installed seamonkey latest in Fatdog this way.
I believe Firefox would be the same.
You just have to un-pack the tar.bz2 package.
Then merge it's content in to the folder of Firefox in your system.
Generally in /opt

But trace back firefox executable to find it.

Hope this helps.

Ohh seamonkey in Fatdog is in /usr/lib64 folder.

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

Firefox 57.0 Quantum is set up as default browser in this frugal installation of tahrpup 6.05. There is no firefox directory in /opt. Two folders reside there, namely seamonkey and palemoon. I am tempted to copy the newly unpacked firefox folder to /opt, just to see what happens. Most of FF 57.0 is located in the hidden directory .mozilla in /root., except for firefox_57+build4.files in hidden directory .packages in /root.

By "merge", I'm guessing you mean a slow, systematic substitution of new for old firefox files.

Since I set up FF 57.0 to respond to default icons, I'm not sure from which point I begin a traceback to which firefox executable. Where is the original firefox executable usually located?
Last edited by nubc on Mon 14 May 2018, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

You sure you do not get a check for updates or an update available, when you go to help>About Firefox?

I just updated Firefox 58.0.2 to Firefox Quantum 60.0 by going to help>About Firefox and click on the update button that shows up on the about window.

I have Firefox preferences set to check for updates, but let me choose to install them.
If there is an update, the help>About Firefox window will display a update button, to select.

I started out using Firefox 57.0 Quantum and have done the updates this way.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

I do not get an Update button. I only see a What's new link that prompts download of FF 60.0 tarball.

Any way I can download FF 60.0 Quantum directly?

Answer to your question: Yes, I am sure I don't get an Update notification when I select Help > About Firefox.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Did you check how the check for updates is set in the Firefox preferences?
Attachments
capture17316.jpg
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

Update options not present in my browser Preferences as well. One difference between your Firefox and mine is that I'm running 32-bit and you're running 64-bit.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

I noticed that too.
I was hoping the 32bit did the same as the 64bit version.
Seems not! :roll:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#9 Post by James C »

I just booted up my 32 bit Tahr install that I don't use much anymore.Had to update Firefox in 3 steps from 52 something to 59 and finally to 60.

Checked back in the ppm and when I originally installed FF with Quickpet it was FF 32 , been a while.

One option could be too extract the downloaded FF 60 and replace the existing Firefox files/folders.with the new versions.In my case the main Firefox files are in /opt/firefox (see screenie).
Attachments
file locations.jpg
(65.5 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
firefox.jpg
(99.66 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

James C

#10 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:I noticed that too.
I was hoping the 32bit did the same as the 64bit version.
Seems not! :roll:
I've got the update options on the 32 bit version here.

Code: Select all

root# inxi -fFF
System:    Host: puppypc17173 Kernel: 3.14.20 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: tahrpup 6.0
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 3000.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 clflush cmov cmp_legacy 
           constant_tsc cpb cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists extapic extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid 
           fma fma4 fpu fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse mmx 
           mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr nonstop_tsc npt nrip_save nx osvw pae pat pausefilter 
           pclmulqdq pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp 
           sep skinit sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm tce topoext tsc 
           tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme wdt xop xsave 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 68x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.14.20
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel 
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1200.3GB (6.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: 0JB size: 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 137 Uptime: 26 min Memory: 697.0/16145.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
root# 
Attachments
update options.jpg
(83.1 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Here is the 32bit version of Firefox I installed using this pet.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 0-i386.pet
It is from Xenialpup repository, but should work in Tahrpup.

It was already set in preferences to auto update, so it auto updated to 59.0.2 before I changed the preferences to check but ask to update.

Maybe you got a bad install of Firefox.

The Firefox pet also put Firefox in /opt directory the same as James C.

You could try installing this pet and go from there.
It should pickup your already made bookmarks.
Should install over the Firefox you have installed.

Could make a copy of the bookmark file to make sure it does not get lost.
Attachments
capture19211.jpg
(33.27 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
capture21740.png
(69.19 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 14 May 2018, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

root# inxi -fFF
bash: inxi: command not found
root# 
EDIT:

root# inxi -fFF 
System:    Host: puppypc27857 Kernel: 3.14.56 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: tahrpup 6.0.5
Machine:   System: Dell product: Precision WorkStation 390 serial: 5G0NMC1 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0DN075 serial: ..CN7082171B50M5. Bios: Dell version: 2.6.0 date: 05/19/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 CPU 6700 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2660.041 MHz 2: 2660.041 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc cx16 cx8 
           de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nx 
           pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni pse pse36 sep ss sse sse2 ssse3 tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme 
           vmx xtpr 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 68x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 driver: snd_emu10k1 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.14.56
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1a:a0:01:b1:aa
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 8001.6GB (44.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST4000DM005 size: 4000.8GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST4000DM000 size: 4000.8GB 
Partition: 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 118 Uptime: 1:17 Memory: 1037.7/3988.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
root#

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

I think you need to reinstall Firefox using the pet I posted.

The built in update should be working in it.

I do not know what you used to do the original install, but I would guess it was a modified version that someone made.

Sure it is not the ESR version of Firefox?
Those things are hard to update.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#14 Post by nubc »

I installed bigpup's xenial pet for FF 57.0 on top of existing FF 57.0. After installing, it updated to FF-60.0 Quantum. Bookmarks tranferred fine. There is now a firefox directory in /opt.

BUT, Youtube videos are not playing, neither audio nor video. Error message on Youtube Player screen:
"If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device."

Remind me, Is this that Pulse Audio issue?

nubc: Firefox 57 (32-bit) no sound playing YouTube video
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&t=112080

OscarTalks: Firefox Sound Fix - Modify Default Preferences
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&t=113312
Last edited by nubc on Tue 15 May 2018, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#15 Post by nubc »

Something is wrong or missing in my setup to play Youtube videos from the YT site. The video is just not playing, although the thumbnail is displayed on the YT Player screen. My computer plays a downloaded A-V file just fine, no problem with audio or video. Youtube onsite streaming and playback are broken. Here are the steps I have taken to fix the problem, in the order I performed the operation, after FF updated to 60.0 Quantum.
1 Set up security preferences in /opt/firefox/browser/default/preferences/firefox.js, and set sandbox to 0
2 Installed Oscar's apulse-0.1.10-i686,wz,pet (already installed)
3 Checked for libgtk3 (already installed)
4 rebooted several times. cold booted once

EDIT: Maybe I need to set up apulse in FF 57.0 before I allow FF to update to FF 60.0 Quantum. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

I don't use the Quantum Firefox, but I did a quick test and am beginning to think that the Mozilla devs have changed something between 59 and 60 which has messed things up for sound in Puppy.

I tried the official Mozilla build and also the Ubuntu Trusty build and in both cases there was no audio in YouTube in TahrPup 6.0.5 even with the usual fixes applied.
I also tested the official build in Stretch Pup and the result was the same.
There are some warnings in terminal which I do not recall seeing before.
Default sandbox level is now 4 but reducing it to 0 does not fix it so it looks like something else is preventing sound from working now.

Maybe someone else has figured this out. Otherwise I will try to investigate when I get a bit more time. The ESR version 52.8.0 (released at the same time as 60.0) is working OK for me. I use the Debian builds of this in Stretch and Wheezy, but I presume the demanding websites would be happy with this version and the official Mozilla build of it should be fine in Tahr Pup with libgtk-3 and apulse I believe.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... ll/#legacy

Note that the Ubuntu and Debian builds install the main directory in /usr/lib rather than /opt
You may also find that they are compiled without the auto-updater because you are expected to update via the package management system when they release newer builds.
I suggest making sure that all older packages have been uninstalled/removed.
Often it is good to (backup bookmarks and) delete the profile and start afresh as well when upgrading.
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am currently in Stretch-Live (32bit) running Quantum 60.0 as a root user.

This is the direct-from-Mozilla version gradually updated.

I am starting it via "apulse /opt/firefox/firefox"

My about:config > security.sandbox is posted below. Note the new line that has appeared.

I have Youtube audio working OK.
Attachments
snappie.png
(76.73 KiB) Downloaded 342 times

OscarTalks

#18 Post by OscarTalks »

Interesting, thanks for that.
When my sound wasn't working I did look in about:config and I did notice that new line there but the string value was just blank at the time.

Inspired by the fact that you have it working I took another look and noticed that the unpacked Mozilla tarball files (in the main firefox directory) are not owned by root:root
I have never known this with Mozilla firefox tarballs before.
So I ran chown -R root:root firefox on the directory
In TahrPup 6.0.5 I installed this in /usr/lib
The apulse libs are inside /usr/lib/firefox
My script in /usr/bin named firefox is:-
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

YouTube audio now works for me with sandbox level at 0
Or with sandbox level at 2 and the other settings as /dev/snd/ and 54
The long string on the new line is then auto-generated. Mine is different from yours
Attachments
firefox60sandbox.jpg
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Oscar in England

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

I figured I might get lucky if I copied rcrsn51's config data, so I did that. But on second thought I left the long string blank in the hope that my computer would generate its own string value. Upon rebooting my computer did generate its own string for tempDirSuffix (e63d0993-2ae5-4c9a-9649-8efce1317bab). But the value for syscall_whitelist had reverted back to "/dev/snd/" from "54". Result was negative. No sound, No video, No change.

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

OscarTalks wrote:I don't use the Quantum Firefox, but I did a quick test and am beginning to think that the Mozilla devs have changed something between 59 and 60 which has messed things up for sound in Puppy.
Hi, Oscar.

I confess, I don't see how.

For a wee while now (confirmed Chrome man that I am!), I've been using Fred's 'portable' FF-Quantum in all my Pups. I've done my usual 'trick', of running a single instance from a remote data partition, sym-linked into all Pups (with the exception of Racy & Lucid, whose components are just too old).

(It's unusual for me; I 'gave up' on FF as a bad job years ago, because of the constant crashes, etc. I gave this new version a look a while ago, and was very impressed with what they've done to it.....but didn't 'install' it across the kennels until Fred brought his portable version out.)

I upgraded to version 60.0 around a week ago? and have noticed no changes at all. Audio works fine for me; YouTube, NetFlix, RadioTunes.....all behaving themselves sweetly.

(Not being 'funny', but I don't think I've seen any other 'Puppian' have so many browser problems as nubc...)

Mike. :wink: