My Criteria for Switching to (Puppy) Linux

Booting, installing, newbie
Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, fmen. And 'Welcome' to the kennels.
fmen wrote:When attempting to print a test page from http://localhost:631/printers/Pantum_p2502W,
the only option available is to save the testpage.pdf to root but not to actually print. It will not print to the printer.
Could be because CUPS hasn't been told to print to the printer.

CUPS has the combined ability to print to hardware, or to save as a PDF. Have you gone through all the settings in the web interface?

Mainstream distros tend to have a printer utility which, nonetheless, still works through CUPS. It just hides from you what's going on. Since Pup uses the web interface for less complexity, we can see everything that's going on.....

Mike. :wink:

fmen

Re: Adding Screenshots

#17 Post by fmen »

mikeslr wrote:Hi fman,
Just below the screen for including text you'll find a GUI for adding files. First click Choose File, then File-browse to the file you want to upload. Click Open. Type something in the File Comment box. Click Add Attachment. That's it.

mikesLr
Of course, there it is in black and white. My eyes missed the "Choose File" button and went directly to "Add Attachment". Rookie error. Thanks.

fmen

#18 Post by fmen »

I tried following the instructions but obviously did not get the desired results as seen in the screen shots.

Thanks Mike, I will keep trying...
Attachments
capture29644.png
(77.42 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
capture23851.png
(26.91 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

Galbi

#19 Post by Galbi »

@fmen: for what I see, the printer hangs from a Windows computer, right?

Does your Puppy "see" the Windows in the other machine? I mean, is SAMBA installed in Puppy, allowing to see the Win machine?

In www.pantum.com there are drivers for Ubuntu Linux. Perhaps you can use them in Puppy. (not sure if the installer will work, perhaps unzipping them and then, manually copy files to the proper location in Puppy)

Make back up of your savefile/folder and start experimenting.

Hope it helps to point you in the right direction.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

ozsouth

#20 Post by ozsouth »

@fman - as above poster said, your pics show you're trying to share a windows printer via samba - needing samba setup.
I would try to connect to it via wireless directly. You need the printer's ip address, then open print setup in your browser (http://127.0.0.1:631),
select Administration, then select Add Printer & select AppSocket & input Connection details - format is:- socket://(printer ip address):9100
Then select manufacturer then driver from drop-down lists. Hopefully printer will then connect.

smokey01

#21 Post by smokey01 »

@fman I agree with ozsouth. If however you don't know the IP address of your printer you can find it with nmap. nmap -sP 10.1.1.* Your local IP range might be different, maybe something like nmap -sP 192.168.0.*

type ifconfig in a terminal to discover your local IP. you should see something like inet addr:10.1.1.112 or maybe inet addr:192.168.0.1

Another way to connect it in CUPS is ipp://10.1.1.205 providing this is the output IP from the nmap command.
Your printer IP will likely be different to the one above. This is provided as an example only.

fmen

#22 Post by fmen »

Thank you all for the input.

I have to admit it is getting a little confusing, so let me go back to the basics.

I do use the printer with Windows. The printer's ip address and printer name were indeed obtained while logged into Windows with the assumption that they would be the same as in Puppy.
I do not know how to get these parameters in linux. The nmap and ipconfig commands return an invalid command.

I have installed the linux Pantum driver, at least I think it was successful.
When I connect the printer to the computer while in linux, nothing happens, as it would while under linux.

So, in reality I am back to the beginning... to start:
How do I make certain the linux driver was successfully connected?
How do I get the printer's linux ip and name?

Thank you all.

Galbi

#23 Post by Galbi »

First of all... The printer is connected to, what?
- the same computer that has Puppy? USB in that case?
- another computer of the net, running Windows?
- to a router (wire or wirelessly), so it has it's own ip?

Please, describe the situation.

fmen

#24 Post by fmen »

Galbi wrote:First of all... The printer is connected to, what?
- the same computer that has Puppy? USB in that case?
- another computer of the net, running Windows?
- to a router (wire or wirelessly), so it has it's own ip?

Please, describe the situation.
The printer is connected via USB cable, to the computer (laptop) that dual boots Win 7 and Xenial Puppy.

While in Win 7, I can print while connected and wirelessly.

In Win 7,the IP wifi address is 191.168.0.1 and the printer's IP address is 191.168.0.19.

Galbi

#25 Post by Galbi »

So, I'd try like a Local Printer (USB) ticking Serial in this screen
Attachments
cups.png
(64.83 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Galbi

#26 Post by Galbi »

I don't have a wireless printer, so have no experience in this.

Perhaps is easier to set it up through wi-fi, this might help:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/setup-wir ... ter-linux/

Saludos.

fmen

#27 Post by fmen »

OK, great news! Now printing with USB cable. Next goal...through wifi and CUPS.

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

fmen wrote:OK, great news! Now printing with USB cable. Next goal...through wifi and CUPS.
Excellent news. Okay, it may not yet be working the way you'd like it to.....but it is at least working. That's the first step.

BTW, even with USB cable (& Samba? I'm getting a mite confused here), it'll still be working through CUPS too; that's how all Linux operating systems manipulate printing jobs.

I can still remember all the fun I myself had with this stuff when I first started with Linux (Ubuntu) nearly 5 years ago... It's enough to drive you nuts if you give in to it..!

Mike. :wink:

ozsouth

#29 Post by ozsouth »

@fman - to print wirelessly, follow my earlier procedure - open print admin (127.0.0.1:631 in web browser, then choose Administration, then Add printer) choose AppSocket option, with connection details:- socket://192.168.0.19:9100 - then select printer model (sometimes must scroll down for continue icon).

fmen

#30 Post by fmen »

You guys are awesome! I am now also able to print wirelessly! The final major criteria has been filled, eliminating any excuse to go back to windows. Thank you all.
BTW, to find the printer IP address in Puppy I used the Peasy Port Scanner app that comes installed with Puppy. It is a different address under windows.

Now on to the next challenge, finding a substitute scripting language for AutoIt.

This is exciting stuff, indeed!

tallboy

#31 Post by tallboy »

It is now nearing the time when you sit down and contemplate, whispering to yourself, over and over again: "Why didn't I do this years ago?" :lol: :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

hamoudoudou

Linux, Puppy, Puppy X or Y ?

#32 Post by hamoudoudou »

My Criteria for Switching to (Puppy) Linux
now how to switch from puppy x to Puppy y, soon z...

fmen

#33 Post by fmen »

The question I have is, why didn’t someone tell me earlier about Puppy? :D

tallboy

#34 Post by tallboy »

We have been shouting at the top our our voices, but you didn't hear us, because the Windows were closed! :lol: :lol: :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

8Geee

#35 Post by 8Geee »

My Criteria??? One word... Admin

Be Safe folks
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."