Battery protection in Carolina (Carolite 2)?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mike7

#16 Post by Mike7 »

I think you can't have read the previous posts in the thread, Muggins. But thanks for your desire to help.
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

Mike7:

The original battery in the ASUS netbooks has a monitor -chip built in. The Replacement batteries usually do not, unlesss you buy directly from ASUS. That said, the chip will popup a full warning box with manual close.

Pressing Fn-F1 in most puppies does nothing. One has to be in screensaver then press power button for a similar function.

These replacement batteries sold are not top-quality- and are affected by deep discharge. It is usually recommended to deep-discharge to zero only upon the first two or three uses, then limit the discharge to no less than 20%. This will preserve overall battery life and number of recharges. I speak here from actual use. My 4-yo 75 Watt big battery replacement in my 900a is showing a maximum charge equal to about 61 Watts. Pup Sys Info has details.

WARNING: These batteries have a fault... if you do not charge them fully to 100%, the maximum capacity will never exceed the last charge. In other words, If your new battery (97%) is discharged, and upon charging you stop at say 80%, all future charging will not exceed 80%.

Good Luck
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike7

#18 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, 8Geee.

I'm on my second, non-Asus replacement battery. I don't know if either has a built-in chip, but the ACPI-tool (Vattery) seems to work properly: it pops up at the discharge percentages that have been set. It may execute the commands that have been set in it, but I haven't yet tested that (using RG66's commands). Perhaps I should mention that I use my netbook primarily as a stationary laptop on AC power, but I also travel with it.

I'm running Carolite 1.2 (Carolina Puppy offshoot) and Fn-F1 suspends the computer exactly as the key combination did originally (in WinXP). Maintaining many of the original eeepc functions was a major reason for my choosing an unpopular and outdated puppy like Carolite (although perhaps the suspend key combination on the 1000HA is independent of the OS).

I figured by default that these batteries are affected adversely by deep discharges and have been discharging to a limit of 10%, except a few times when I was distracted and the battery ran down to 5% and the computer powered-off. But I will subscribe to your good advice to change to 20%, especially as the battery is ageing.

Thanks for your warning. I already knew about the maximum charge problem, but a reminder is always timely.

Mike
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

iugamarian

My batt-low.sh

#19 Post by iugamarian »

Powering off on low battery using /bin/bash

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
battery_level=`acpi -b|grep -P -o '[0-9]+(?=%)'`
battery_discharging=`acpi -b|grep Discharging|wc -l`
if [ $battery_level -le 1 ] && [ $battery_discharging -eq 1 ]
then