Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 16 Aug 2018, 14:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Battery protection in Carolina (Carolite 2)?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike7

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul 2018, 11:35    Post subject:  

I think you can't have read the previous posts in the thread, Muggins. But thanks for your desire to help.
8Geee

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul 2018, 19:05    Post subject:  

Mike7:

The original battery in the ASUS netbooks has a monitor -chip built in. The Replacement batteries usually do not, unlesss you buy directly from ASUS. That said, the chip will popup a full warning box with manual close.

Pressing Fn-F1 in most puppies does nothing. One has to be in screensaver then press power button for a similar function.

These replacement batteries sold are not top-quality- and are affected by deep discharge. It is usually recommended to deep-discharge to zero only upon the first two or three uses, then limit the discharge to no less than 20%. This will preserve overall battery life and number of recharges. I speak here from actual use. My 4-yo 75 Watt big battery replacement in my 900a is showing a maximum charge equal to about 61 Watts. Pup Sys Info has details.

WARNING: These batteries have a fault... if you do not charge them fully to 100%, the maximum capacity will never exceed the last charge. In other words, If your new battery (97%) is discharged, and upon charging you stop at say 80%, all future charging will not exceed 80%.

Good Luck
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mike7

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul 2018, 02:05    Post subject:  

Hi, 8Geee.

I'm on my second, non-Asus replacement battery. I don't know if either has a built-in chip, but the ACPI-tool (Vattery) seems to work properly: it pops up at the discharge percentages that have been set. It may execute the commands that have been set in it, but I haven't yet tested that (using RG66's commands). Perhaps I should mention that I use my netbook primarily as a stationary laptop on AC power, but I also travel with it.

I'm running Carolite 1.2 (Carolina Puppy offshoot) and Fn-F1 suspends the computer exactly as the key combination did originally (in WinXP). Maintaining many of the original eeepc functions was a major reason for my choosing an unpopular and outdated puppy like Carolite (although perhaps the suspend key combination on the 1000HA is independent of the OS).

I figured by default that these batteries are affected adversely by deep discharges and have been discharging to a limit of 10%, except a few times when I was distracted and the battery ran down to 5% and the computer powered-off. But I will subscribe to your good advice to change to 20%, especially as the battery is ageing.

Thanks for your warning. I already knew about the maximum charge problem, but a reminder is always timely.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: