TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
s243a

#631 Post by s243a »

I'm not sure if we do it or not in the devX, but I wonder if we should be including a few things from the kernal sources like limits.h into the devX package. Even the python tools pip and easy_install won't work right if this c header can't be found in the cpp (c pre processor) search path.

As I mentioned in my previous post the cpp expents to find it at ./linux/limits.h where "." is one of the directories included in the cpp search path. In my previous post I did this by modifying the CPPFLAGS from where it apeared due to mounting the kernal sources:

Code: Select all

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/src/linux/usr/include"
however, we could probably simply just copy this file to /usr/include/linux and then it wouldn't depend on someone having the kernal sources mounted.

mistfire

#632 Post by mistfire »

Hello can you please test the On-Demand Features in TazPuppy?

s243a

#633 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:Hello can you please test the On-Demand Features in TazPuppy?
What are the On-Demand features?

Terry H

#634 Post by Terry H »

I saw this feature the other day and had been intending to try it. I just ran a few tests. System Tools > On-Demand Features

When clicked on as Tux, brings up root password prompt, but nothing happens, so presumed security error.

When run from terminal as Tux, same thing, prompt for root password, then security error shown. It can't be run with sudo, as gives security error for user Tux.

When run from terminal following 'su', the selection list is displayed and will install applications. I also was able to run following gksu pcmanfm and then clicking '/usr/bin/tazpup-ondemand'

The issue I had is that it doesn't identify what is going to be installed, it's a Lucky Dip.

i.e. Full Media Player

i.e. Email Client

You have to run it to know what is going to be installed.

I installed Email Client, it appears to have successfully installed Thunderbird. The problem I had is that so many errors flashed by so quickly on the terminal, I don't know what happened, the errors were related to getcwd. I couldn't finde getcwd in Package Manager. Thunderbird seems to be functioning OK, email account successfully accessed.

I installed Full Media Player. VLC was installed, only tested playing mp3. Don't have any videos on laptop to check.

I attempted to install IM Client and IRC Client at same time. Everything in the terminal flashed by so quick I'm not sure what was attempted to be installed. Pidgin IM Client appears to be successfully installed. I have no idea what the IRC Client may have been.

I rebooted without saving and then installed IRC Client individually. I saw that it was installing xchat. Application runs when clicked, can't advise any further.

musher0

#635 Post by musher0 »

Hello mistfire and all.

I could not find the devx for tazpup. Where is it, please?

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

s243a

#636 Post by s243a »

musher0 wrote:Hello mistfire and all.

I could not find the devx for tazpup. Where is it, please?

TIA.
I think that there is a script to build devX as part of her build tools -- at least there was in a prior release.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 77#1004477

mistfire

#637 Post by mistfire »

@s243a ah yes the tazwoof. It has script for creating devx of TazPuppy. Someone here created a precompiled devx of tazpup. @musher0 just read back on the posts of this thread and you will find the download link of precompiled devx of TazPuppy and the Tazwoof

don570

#638 Post by don570 »

A note about an unusual bug in scripts ( bash or sh)

In the following script the entry box is supposed to be invisible
however when running tazpup, the box is visible.
I have noticed this on another distro as well. (Precise NOP)

For a practical example try copyfast.sh -->
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86674

I use this technique to add folder names to a list.

#! /bin/sh

export MAIN_DIALOG='
 <vbox width-request="350">
<hbox> <text>
      <label>invisible</label>
    </text>
<entry accept="directory" visible="false">
          <variable>SELECTION</variable>
</entry>
<button>
         <input file stock="gtk-add"></input>
          <action type="fileselect">SELECTION</action>
          <action>refresh:SELECTION</action>
          <action type="exit">SEARCH</action>
</button>
</hbox>

</vbox>
'

gtkdialog --program=MAIN_DIALOG
Attachments
screenshot-invisible.png
Screenshot shows invisible entry is visible
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 594 times
screenshot-copy-fast_zps5484d948.png
(9.85 KiB) Downloaded 603 times

Terry H

#639 Post by Terry H »

I installed Full Web Browser using Tazpup Ondemand Features. This installed Firefox 17 ESR + 7 Add-ons. Five of the add-ons were disabled on first running, as being incompatible.

mistfire

#640 Post by mistfire »

It seems On-demand features working nice. I wonder if printers, networking, and scanners work on using On-Demand script.

s243a

#641 Post by s243a »

This is on an older version of TazPup, but I notice that the memory usage icon on the task bar shows most of my memory is used but if I check, none of my swap memory is being used

sh-4.4# free -t
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       3876576    3589476     287100          0      54460    1174572
-/+ buffers/cache:    2360444    1516132
Swap:      6458948          0    6458948
Total:    10335524    3589476    6746048
https://www.tecmint.com/commands-to-mon ... -in-linux/

Should I be configuring my stem to swap more?

Edit I might try this:

How to configure swappiness in puppy
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100219

Maybe I'll first try a swappiness value about 20 and go from there.

Edit 2 Some differences for tazpup:
1. Put the "set-swapiness" script in /etc/init.d instead of /root/Statup
2. Edit /etc/rcS.conf to have the set-swapiness script as a start-up script. (see the /etc/init.d/README) file
Last edited by s243a on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 01:54, edited 4 times in total.

don570

#642 Post by don570 »

I suggest that first post contain...
User: root
default password: root

s243a

#643 Post by s243a »

Anyone know how to set the log live in chrond?

I'm using cron to periodically clear my file cache due to a program that seems to cache a lot of files in memory (see thread).

I tried the following

/etc/init.d/crod start -l 8
and

/etc/init.d/crod start -- -l 8
The latter gave me the following error:

h-4.4# ./crond restart -- -l 0
/lib/libtaz.sh: line 36: export: `=yes': not a valid identifier
and the offending line of code is in the last part of the case structure of:

# Parse cmdline options and store values in a variable.
for opt in "$@"; do
	opt_name="${opt%%=*}"; opt_name="$(echo -n "${opt_name#--}" | tr -c 'a-zA-Z0-9' '_')"
	case "$opt" in
		--[0-9]*=*)	export _$opt_name="${opt#*=}" ;;
		--[0-9]*)	export _$opt_name=yes ;;
		--*=*)		export  $opt_name="${opt#*=}" ;;
		--*)		export  $opt_name=yes ;;
	esac
done
I'll put it on my to-do list to try to figure this out but if anyone knows, please let me know.

mistfire

#644 Post by mistfire »

@s243a I will try to edit that file. Right now Im struggling how to run lxdm on TazPuppy. I noticed that reboot, poweroff, and shutdown commands dont work after I login from lxdm. Those commands will work after if the lxdm was killed. But the shutdown and reboot on login screen of lxdm works, that was weird.

s243a

#645 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a I will try to edit that file. Right now Im struggling how to run lxdm on TazPuppy. I noticed that reboot, poweroff, and shutdown commands dont work after I login from lxdm. Those commands will work after if the lxdm was killed. But the shutdown and reboot on login screen of lxdm works, that was weird.
It's probably not that big a priority because I was able to change the log level by calling the chrond utillity directly rather than using the start-up script.

s243a

#646 Post by s243a »

Just downloaded the latest version tonight. I'm installing all the on-demand features to see what happens :)

I notice some errors: getcwd: cannot access parent directory

when installing. I solved this previously by specifying the whole path. I don't know whether or not it is going to cause any problems with installing the undemand features.

I also notice that the license isn't being downloaded for some of the software. Presumably this is a bug.

s243a

#647 Post by s243a »

In the newest version of TazPup the get-Libreoffice script didn't work for me. In a previous version of TazPup I fixed this issue:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 323#995323

It's to late for me tonight to try to figure if any of the same principles can be applied to fix it in this version of TazPup

mistfire

#648 Post by mistfire »

@s243a your fixes on install script has been applied but I modify it with different approach. I will review the code to determine what went wrong

s243a

#649 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a your fixes on install script has been applied but I modify it with different approach. I will review the code to determine what went wrong
I notice that LibreOffice is installed now (although I haven't tested it, so I don't know if the previous issues still apply), the second time I ran as root. It may be also that case that for your on-demand aps, that for them to work correctly you may also need to ask the user for root permission. I forget whether or not you do this.

Edit

Tried the on-demand feature again. Still see the CWD issue, so maybe the previous issue still exists to a degree. :(

mistfire

#650 Post by mistfire »

@s243a on-demand features was run in sudo mode if the user is not a root account. Can you please help me to find that CWD issue. Where it does appeared?