BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
davids45

Extra browser

#826 Post by davids45 »

G'day Bird Dog,

If possible, I suggest you steer clear of old-fashioned 'installing' and go the SFS route.

Put the SFS in the partition root directory and just mount it with Load-SFS-on-the-Fly in the Setup Menu.
Much easier to 'uninstall' by just unmounting the SFS, again with Load-on-the-Fly.

If the browser you want to try is only as a .pet or .tar.gz for example, extract/expand the .pet/.tar.gz to a directory somewhere with Uextract and then use a dir2sfs script (search this forum for a version) to create the SFS from the new directory. Then copy this SFS to the partition root directory (e.g. sda1, if that's where your Pup sub-folder is).

Finally use SFS-Load-on-the-Fly to mount the SFS and 'Run' it once mounted.

Alternatively try a Portable version (check this forum for a possible version).

David S.

peebee

#827 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Bird Dog

#828 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks for replying David S. When I click on Get Browser I'm asked where I want to download the browser SFS files. So from what your telling me it's sda 5 for me. Thanks very much for your help and it seems to be working great. One last thing has anyone been able to install flashplayer or is it not being used because of being retired at the end of the year? I get an error message /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins does not exist.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

Semme

#829 Post by Semme »

Create the folder and dwnld the player if you have the need. Things should work out fine.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

peebee

#830 Post by peebee »

@Bird Dog

Of the provided heavyweight browsers, Chromium (at the moment) comes complete with PepperFlash and would the one to use if you really need FlashPlayer.

For the other Mozilla based browsers (Firefox, Palemoon & Seamonkey), if you really need Flash there is a menu item Internet -> GetFlash Setup which should prompt you to download and install a utility (which changes often as Adobe keeps changing the download location) to download FlashPlayer for you.

Browsers installed from sfs work fine from both locations - partition or sub-directory. Where you put them depends on how your system is configured - how many Pups you have, whether you want to share the same browser between a a number of Pups etc. If you just have 1 Pup on the partition choose whichever location seems tidiest to you (you can move the sfs later if you want).
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

nic007

#831 Post by nic007 »

Hi, peebee. Is this "big" delay at bootup (just before desktop is loaded) a common thing with the new kernels? I've noticed this from the release of Bionic and also newer kernels after that. Quite annoying and irritating.

peebee

#832 Post by peebee »

nic007 wrote:Hi, peebee. Is this "big" delay at bootup (just before desktop is loaded) a common thing with the new kernels? I've noticed this from the release of Bionic and also newer kernels after that. Quite annoying and irritating.
Hi @nic007

BionicPup32 was built in March 2019 and neither the kernel nor Woof-CE have changed in subsequent updates.

I'm not sure I am "seeing" the "big" delay you describe....??

Have you tried UPupEF? Is the same delay there?

Which system built prior to March 2019 are you comparing with?

I would think any increase in bootup time would be more likely to be from changes in Woof-CE rather than the kernel - could be tested by putting the kernel from an old quick booting system into BionicPup32 for a test - if the delay goes away it's the kernel, if it's still there it's probably Woof-CE.

nic007

#833 Post by nic007 »

I don't have this delay with Xenial 32 and older Puppys. All newer kernels after that of Xenial does this prolonged delay on my laptop. If I remember correctly (I don't use it anymore) the real-time kernels are even worse in this regard. I have an old HP laptop from 2007.

PS: To test, I made a kernel swop for Bionic 32 (swopped it with Tahr 6.0.5 kernel) and no delay.

peebee

#834 Post by peebee »

nic007 wrote:I have an old HP laptop from 2007.
PS: To test, I made a kernel swop for Bionic 32 (swopped it with Tahr 6.0.5 kernel) and no delay.
I just did a similar test on my desktop (2012 vintage) and........

the Xenial kernel was 4sec SLOWER to boot - 25sec as opposed to 21sec with the Bionic32 kernel....

I don't have Tahr to test....

[Later] tahr-3.14.56-pae is also 25sec i.e. SLOWER

Delays must be hardware specific

Bird Dog

Delta updating

#835 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks Pee Bee for the Flash Player and browser installation information.Maybe I'll just forget Flash Player since it's end of life is in six months. I had a problem updating the +22 delta which I downloaded with a good md5 checksum. The way I updated the +21 delta was to click on the delta file which then opened the Xdelta difference manager with the Delta file in it's proper box. I then put the base file in the old file box clicked Generate and was told it updated successfully. I did the same thing with the +22 delta but I got an error message saying it failed to create the new file. Error message xdelta3: to overwrite output file specify - f:/root/downloads/bionicpup32-8.0+22-uefi.iso. Maybe I'm not supposed to update so often? I appreciate any help and thanks for this great operating system.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

OscarTalks

#836 Post by OscarTalks »

Latest VLC 3.0.11 compiled from source in BionicPup32
Mostly just built against what is already in the Pup
Had to include Qt5 libs for the GUI of course - this version no longer accepts Qt4
I had to disable schroedinger and vaapi to avoid errors
It didn't like lua 5.3 for some reason, so I used lua 5.2 which worked.
Seems reasonably OK in a brief test.
Uploaded .pet in case it is of any use to anyone
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1
Attachments
vlc3011bionic32.jpg
VLC 3.0.11 compiled from source in BionicPup32
(33.73 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Oscar in England

mikeslr

Does SMTube work under Bionicpup32

#837 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Gezer is new to Linux & Puppies and has a computer which may only have 1Gb of RAM. He's working with Bionicpup32 want to watch Youtubes, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78#1062778.

I think someone mentioned a couple days ago that less RAM was needed to watch Youtube via SMTube than thru a web-browser. Although Norgo created SMTube for Slackos, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 13#1061813 I've run the 64-bit version under Bionpup64. But I have no experience with Bionicpup32.

peebee

Re: Does SMTube work under Bionicpup32

#838 Post by peebee »

mikeslr wrote:watch Youtube via SMTube with Bionicpup32.
Is available from the Ubuntu repo:
https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-un ... 6.deb.html

but would need Qt5:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... s/download
could be tried but may not work with Bionic32 - otherwise you would have to download the Qt5 dependencies individually as debs (PPM should do this for you - maybe)
libqt5core5a >= 5.9.0~beta
libqt5gui5 >= 5.0.2
libqt5network5 >= 5.0.2
libqt5script5 >= 5.6.0~beta
libqt5webkit5 >= 5.6.0~rc
libqt5widgets5 >= 5.0.2

norgo

Re: Does SMTube work under Bionicpup32

#839 Post by norgo »

mikeslr wrote:... someone mentioned a couple days ago that less RAM was needed to watch Youtube via SMTube than thru a web-browser...
@mikeslr yes I read this too :wink:
information: smtube 20.6.0 is the only working version ( all prior versions doesn't work anymore )