Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Jan 2020, 23:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (10 January 2020)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 20 of 50 [750 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 48, 49, 50 Next
jplt_bis

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2018, 12:22    Post subject:  

Strange this line is there too !

battery: ACPI: Battery: found native INT33F4 PMIC, not loading
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2018, 15:22    Post subject:  

@ perdido:-

With regard to your post about the .pet for changing certain JWM config items:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1002345#1002345

You're not the only one who was perplexed by the choice of the label 'Applications' for the Menu.

Under other circumstances, this probably wouldn't have been an issue. However, 'only' having an elderly 1024x768 monitor, and tending to have quite a lot of apps in the 'Launcher' area, along with a fair bit of stuff in the 'systray' notification area, that big label was eating up valuable real estate from the tray....

I went into /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray2, and changed

Code:
 <TrayButton label="Applications" icon="puppy.svg" border="false">root:9</TrayButton>

...to:-

Code:
 <TrayButton label="Menu" icon="puppy.svg" border="false">root:9</TrayButton>

So far, it seems to have 'stuck'..! I wasn't too bothered about the other stuff you mentioned ('Leave' seems quite logical, TBH), but 'Applications' was niggling me.....

Mike. Wink

perdido

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2018, 16:53    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ perdido:-

With regard to your post about the .pet for changing certain JWM config items:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1002345#1002345

You're not the only one who was perplexed by the choice of the label 'Applications' for the Menu.

Under other circumstances, this probably wouldn't have been an issue. However, 'only' having an elderly 1024x768 monitor, and tending to have quite a lot of apps in the 'Launcher' area, along with a fair bit of stuff in the 'systray' notification area, that big label was eating up valuable real estate from the tray....

I went into /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray2, and changed

Code:
 <TrayButton label="Applications" icon="puppy.svg" border="false">root:9</TrayButton>

...to:-

Code:
 <TrayButton label="Menu" icon="puppy.svg" border="false">root:9</TrayButton>

So far, it seems to have 'stuck'..! I wasn't too bothered about the other stuff you mentioned ('Leave' seems quite logical, TBH), but 'Applications' was niggling me.....

Mike. Wink

The new way the desktop was handled was "niggling" me <g>

After destroying my hand edited files more than once I just made the pet to use all the old style JWM components & tools , newer isn't necessarily better or easier,
they did make a slick looking desktop manager that makes you click around a bit more than I like to set things how I wanted.

So what it boiled down to I just eliminated the new desktop manager and have the older tools & old style .jwmrc & .jwmrc-tray just like before Smile

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2018, 17:22    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

When I run jwm, I don't bother with a menu/applications button at all, instead I set the clock to serve as the menu button using something like
Code:
<Clock format="%a %d %b %I:%M %p"><Button mask="123"></Button></Clock><TrayButton>root:1</TrayButton>

Or extend that even further and have left click of the clock show the menu, right click acting as showdesktop. I also prefer just the one .jwmrc file that also acts as a start programs (multiple entries such as <StartupCommand>osmo</StartupCommand> ), so all keycodes, startup programs, window decorations, ...etc are all defined in the one single configuration file.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
perdido

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2018, 10:34    Post subject:  

L̶o̶c̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶i̶o̶n̶i̶c̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶/̶s̶a̶t̶e̶l̶l̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶e̶t̶v̶i̶e̶w̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶ ̶ ̶
D̶o̶w̶n̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶u̶p̶u̶p̶ ̶b̶i̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶v̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶3̶.̶7̶.̶1̶ ̶:̶)̶ ̶
[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶m̶u̶r̶g̶a̶-̶l̶i̶n̶u̶x̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶p̶u̶p̶p̶y̶/̶v̶i̶e̶w̶t̶o̶p̶i̶c̶.̶p̶h̶p̶?̶p̶=̶9̶9̶0̶9̶2̶1̶#̶9̶9̶0̶9̶2̶1̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶ ̶
O̶r̶i̶g̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶G̶e̶o̶f̶f̶r̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶m̶u̶r̶g̶a̶-̶l̶i̶n̶u̶x̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶p̶u̶p̶p̶y̶/̶v̶i̶e̶w̶t̶o̶p̶i̶c̶.̶p̶h̶p̶?̶t̶=̶9̶7̶6̶2̶2̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶ ̶.̶

Last edited by perdido on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 10:52; edited 1 time in total
slackfan

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 05:28    Post subject: setxkbmap  

it seems that that puppy doesn't support the full range of setxkbmap (for example

setxkbmap us intl

intl is for INTERNATIONAL !!!! please people INTERNATIONAL !!!!)

(all Linux would in my opinion have to prefer exactly that version of the US English keyboard as it exist to open and develop the vision of a world where all people have equal rights (I know, Linux adepts wish better the opposite,,, Is Linux perhaps a conqueror movement working to oppress in some kinds the other?)

what is wrong in Puppy Linux and Woof?
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018, 10:14    Post subject:  

ee432b77ebda549f6572e17439c6518a upupbb-18.05+12.iso

{delta} to be applied to original 18.05.iso

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2018, 07:29    Post subject:  

Hi guys, I just checked on Distrowatch, the last official Puppy was December 5, 2017, XenialPup 7.5.

Is BionicPup shaping up to be the next one?

zigbert

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2018, 07:51    Post subject:  

My vote for BionicPup!
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2018, 08:59    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:

Who knows - not me for sure!

There have been >10K downloads since the base iso was made available - from 114 countries....

There haven't been any significant bug reports for quite some time....

UPupBB is on ibiblio (indirectly) and github/woof-ce so it's sort of legit.

However it only comes in 32-bit flavour so not a full successor to xenial.... (anybody want to tackle a 64-bit version?)

The official website has mentions:
http://puppylinux.com/download.html
http://blog.puppylinux.com/upup-bionic-beaver

perdido

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2018, 08:35    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
BarryK wrote:

Who knows - not me for sure!

There haven't been any significant bug reports for quite some time....

The only thing I have seen is the bug with installpkg.sh in a full install that will not run a pinstall.sh,
and that is not even bionic specific and has existed at least since the xenial pups.

So it has to have a 64-bit counterpart to be an "official" release now? Confused

davids45

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep 2018, 20:54    Post subject: Upupbionic18.05+12 frugal with sfs apps  

G'day peebee,

Thanks for your continuing updates to your Bionic Pup, plus starting with the next alphabetical Ubuntu animal even if it's a bit unworldly.

I made a BionicBeaver Pup .iso from your latest delta and manually created a new sub-folder in my new-(32bit)-Pups frugals partition, into which I copied the files I needed (not adrv as I have a browsers sfs in my apps sfs).

I copied a xz 'hot'-backup of the savefile from my upupbb1805-10 frugal to the new subfolder and extracted the savefile - to save me 'starting from scratch'.

Booting was good with no complaints about the previous upupbb savefile and all my apps boot-mounted from the previous upupbb also loaded up without problem.

I re-did the wallpaper to display the new Pup's i.d. from the 1805-10 to 1805-12 as the only change needed on this first run (screenshot).

Thanks once again,
David S.
upupbb1805-12-sfslinks.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   123.01 KB
 Viewed   737 Time(s)

upupbb1805-12-sfslinks.jpg

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep 2018, 23:19    Post subject:  

I got the 32-bit version of upupbb (because I didn't see until later that there is 64-bit version) and burned it to a DVD with burniso2cd. The DVD wouldn't boot until I used the puppy acpi=off boot code.

So far upupbb works great, except the default browser (Light) gives an "invalid certificate" security warning for many websites and my banking website wouldn't work at all with it. I got the latest version of Firefox from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/download/thanks/ (somehow that website knew I was using a 32-bit Linux), untar'd it to /tmp, right-clicked on the Firefox directory in /tmp and chose permissions, then yes to all. After that, I opened the Firefox directory and dragged the firefox gear symbol to the desktop then clicked on it to run Firefox. Now I can access my bank with Firefox.

Here are a few random observations and a few questions about upupbb:

1.) What can I do so that I don't have to enter puppy acpi=off every time I boot?

2.) My audio quit working in Quirky Werewolf 7.4. and still wouldn't work in another Puppy I can't remember. The speakers still worked, so naturally I assumed the motherboard had crapped out. I ordered an identical motherboard on ebay for $45 (so I could use the old CPU and RAM). The audio still didn't work in the new motherboard. Then I tried upupbb and that fixed the audio. Now I have a backup motherboard. Laughing

3.) There is no indication of what will happen if I click the Shut Down button in the Puppy Log Out window. Will it offer to save the session somewhere, or just shut down? I'd like to use upupbb as a multisession DVD. If not that, then a frugal install on a USB flash drive.

4.) Is the +12 version the latest update of the +1 version or is it a completely different Puppy?
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep 2018, 02:26    Post subject:  

Hi @Flash

There's no 64-bit version of upupbb (as yet)....

1 - boot off a different writable medium where you can edit the menu.lst or rebuild the dvd with the change?? (not my area of expertise - must be help elsewhere on the forum??).

3 - shutdown will offer to save

4 - +12 is just an update

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep 2018, 11:39    Post subject:  

Thanks, peebee.
peebee wrote:
...There's no 64-bit version of upupbb (as yet)....

Oops, I got Bionic Beaver mixed up with BionicDog.

Since upupbb is running entirely in RAM, shouldn't I be able to edit menu.lst, then remaster? I don't know where to put puppy acpi=off in menu.lst. Actually, I don't even know where menu.lst is.
Page 20 of 50 [750 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 48, 49, 50 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: