wex screencast, webcam, audio recorder

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
wiak

#46 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote: I'll keep an eye on developments, and will re-build/re-pack the 32-bit 'all-in-one' when you release WeX 0.8.19. BTW, are you intending to consolidate things by re-doing an old thread, or arrange things with Flash so that you start a new thread, including relevant stuff from those older threads, followed by removing the latter? Just curious, so I'll know what to look out for.....
Hi Mike,

I'll PM you once I have the 0.8.19 version uploaded. I'm not sure how long that will take since, as I've said, there are several things I'm planning to include/fix/modify for that release and I'm busy otherwise enjoying the summer weather here. So it's up to you if you wish to release a 64bit version that with the fix I outlined that will work with Bionic (and it seems older Xenial) and without needing to include any portable ffmpeg with that one.

For the 32bit version of your All-In-One, I'd just leave it as it is (including Fred's portable ffmpeg included, since that ffmpeg does accept asyncts option so no fix required for the 32bit systems case (and previous audio_in.plug asyncts option may well work best in older systems like Racy, Tahr, Precise and so on).

But for 64bits Linux OS, yes, a new with fix All-In-One which does NOT have portable ffmpeg would be nice since ffmpeg provided already on the OS distribution itself works fine as long as wex audio_in.plug fix done.

Cheers!

EDIT: note that we must keep the line that includes -thread_queu_size; that's an important needed option still and both Fred's portable ffmpeg and the newer ffmpegs (such as that provided in Bionic) still use that option fine (very old ffmpegs didn't understand that option and results bad without it).

wiak

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ William:-

Okay; that's all taken care of, now.

Attached below are two 64-bit Wex 'all-in-one' packages (without ffmpeg). One is for Xenial64, where the standard audio_in.plug 'setup' works fine. The other is for Bionic64, where the audio_in.plug 'ffmpeg' lines have been reversed; nothing else has been touched, since that's the only mod required.

I've now left Fred's gifenc-sel out of the mix, since I agree with you on that score. As I said, it's 'icing on the cake'.....and not everyone likes icing. (My sister hates the stuff.....although she does like the marzipan that's often found beneath it!)

You're obviously in the Southern Hemisphere, if your summer's just now getting under way. Enjoy it; I just hope it doesn't get too hot for ya!

I'll look out for a PM, as & when.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
WeX-0.8.18-screencaster-bionic64.pet
WeX screencaster 'all-in-one' for Bionicpup64, with audio_in.plug 'fix', and user utility 06 (default:vlc) changed for (default:mpv). Make sure to update PPM and install ffmpeg stuff first...
(55.77 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
WeX-0.8.18-screencaster-xenial64.pet
Wex screencaster 'all-in-one' for Xenialpup64. Make sure to update PPM and install ffmpeg stuff first...
(56.15 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#48 Post by wiak »

Thanks Mike. I imagine XenialPup64 and BionicPup64 will be popular Puppy distributions (for those wanting to use recent 64bit OS) so useful weX versions.

Of course, Fred's portable ffmpeg is only needed really for 32bit Pups of vintage Tahr and older, so later will be good to have 32bit versions for any 32bit Pup version of Xenial and Bionic similar to these 64bit ones.

Actually, one of these 64bit All-In-One offerings may work with Slacko64 as well - I can't remember what ffmpeg it uses, but I tend to recall that it didn't work with asyncts either (so maybe that Bionic 64bit one will work with it). Only issue with Slacko64 Pup would be if it also didn't understand the provided, and very important for good results, -thread_queue_size option (which would mean it would also need a specially compiled ffmpeg, which doesn't make sense for such an up-to-date distribution and so I wouldn't bother).

I'll check Slacko64 sometime with your above offerings and report back. I have the iso somewhere on my system. Have now checked: Slacko64 ffmpeg is too old (ffmpeg version 2.6.1) so would need a portable ffmpeg compiled as was done for old 32bit systems. Admittedly, I'm not sure if the Slacko64 I have is the latest - the one I have uses slackware packages for slack version 14.1, rather than 14.2, so 'maybe' more recent Slackware has newer ffmpeg (I now note that woofCE suggests latest Slacko64 uses 14.2 packages with a slack compile of ffmpeg ver 2.8.11; I'm not sure if that would work with Xenial 64 All-In-One; I'll have to download the iso and try I suppose...)? Too much work otherwise, unless enough users commented they had a major need for it in my opinion - otherwise a big compile for something no-one maybe ends up using. I'm happy just to keep things as they stand with 64bit All-in-One packages for Xenial 64 and Bionic 64 systems and the existing portable ffmpeg All-In-One for older 32bit systems (which many seem to still like using). However, I note, for Slacko users, there are some newer 'alien' builds of ffmpeg available, such as here:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... kg64/14.2/

That version (ffmpeg 3.4.2) would probably work with Bionic 64 All-In-One weX, but not sure what dependencies it has been compiled with (seems to need libpulse.so.0 for example. I think we should just leave Slacko64 to people who use it to find newer ffmpeg etc (unless 2.8.11 works...).

EDIT: Above alien build ffmpeg didn't work for me (though perhaps cos I used older Slacko64 or maybe just not compatible one), but Fred found static ffmpeg build that does. See his post below:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 80#1009980

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 19:52, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#49 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ William:-

Okay; that's all taken care of, now.

Attached below are two 64-bit Wex 'all-in-one' packages (without ffmpeg). One is for Xenial64, where the standard audio_in.plug 'setup' works fine. The other is for Bionic64, where the audio_in.plug 'ffmpeg' lines have been reversed; nothing else has been touched, since that's the only mod required.
Just one extra thing I thought about, Mike. You should maybe mention in your downloads post that you also need to use PPM to search for giblib (for libgiblib1) and it's dependency libimlib2 (which PPM should install automatically with libgiblib). Unless they are already installed by default, which I doubt.

wiak

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Will.

I've posted in the Bionicpup64 & Xenialpup64 threads about the new version, and have mentioned the need for 'libgiblib1'. Apparently, 'libImlib' appears to be installed by default in both Pups; it was on my system, anyway. So most people should only need to install 'libgiblib1' to get WeX running.

fredx181

#51 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, wiak, all

Here's a 64-bit wex-portable
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8ct ... ar.gz?dl=1
Extract and run "wex-portable64"

It includes this static ffmpeg build
https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ol ... tic.tar.xz
See more here:
https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

I tested on slacko64 and Bionicdog64 and works fine, I guess it should also work on other 64-bit Puppies (testing would be appreciated ).

It has in /etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug :

Code: Select all

ffmpegFilter_Complex0=""
If you ran weX earlier and it doesn't work properly, replace ~/.wex/plugins/audio_in.plug with: /etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug

EDIT: Above is wrong, there's no "/etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug" when running the portable, so remove whole (hidden) folder ~/.wex if there are problems. (it will be re-created then)

I noticed no video/audio out-of-sync issues with this setting.

Another way (instead of wex-portable) to make weX work e.g. in slacko64, is to replace /usr/bin/ffmpeg with the static ffmpeg build from e.g. ffmpeg-3.3.4-64bit-static.tar.xz (see links above)
And install Mike's 64-bit wex pet package for Bionic from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 99#1009799
Then you have the benefit of a newer ffmpeg (system wide installed).

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 08:28, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#52 Post by wiak »

thanks for the static build 64bit Fred. I came across that one at some stage and had tried it but think I was using too old version of Slacko64 (wierd, but quite likely I made some other mistake; my development system is full of files disorganized all over the place... needs some TLC) - good it works on latest Slacko64.

wiak

Mike Walsh

#53 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

A-ha! Nice one, mate.

Fred, have you done the same with this 64-bit portable as you did with the 32-bit version? I get that you've packaged WeX together with ffmpeg; can I assume you've included libImlib2 & libgiblib1 as well? And scrox?

Just waiting on confirmation, then I'll run up a 64-bit 'all-in-one' .pet.....without gifenc-sel. I'm going to package this one separately.

In all likelihood I'll re-pack the 32-bit version without gifenc-sel, too.

--------------------------------------------------
wiak wrote:<snip>...but quite likely I made some other mistake; my development system is full of files disorganized all over the place... needs some TLC...<snip>
That's one lesson I learnt a long time ago; the hard way (through losing some important stuff due to being slap-dash about things!) It might seem a bit anal to some folk, but every time I save anything, I fit it into a strict hierarchical structure. I take the view, as with so many other things in life, that if something only needs doing once, then you may as well take the time to do it properly; you can then forget about it, secure in the knowledge that you know you can track it down easily when you want it..!

Takes some organising initially, but once you've done so, you quickly get into the habit of staying on top of things. For me, at least, it's now second-nature to do so...

fredx181

#54 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Fred, have you done the same with this 64-bit portable as you did with the 32-bit version? I get that you've packaged WeX together with ffmpeg; can I assume you've included libImlib2 & libgiblib1 as well? And scrox?
Hey Mike, yes, same as 32-bit setup, all you mention are inside the portable.

wiak

#55 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote: Just waiting on confirmation, then I'll run up a 64-bit 'all-in-one' .pet.....without gifenc-sel. I'm going to package this one separately.

In all likelihood I'll re-pack the 32-bit version without gifenc-sel, too.
Personally, Mike, I rather like gifenc-sel included in the Puppy all-in-one dotpet since it is so useful yet tiny addition. What I was saying was that I am going to repackage weX itself to contain most of the programs associated with that (even its ancestor, Precord) but, in that, I won't be including either ffmpeg or gifenc-sel or libgib1 or libimlib2, since these are extras (and not by me anyway); but... an All-in-one dotpet already contains ffmpeg (since that is a static ffmpeg build and required to make the thing portable) - I actually thus see no reason for gifenc-sel not to be included in an all-in-one assembly (if you see what I mean). Basically, once weX package itself includes all its main parts, I think it is commonsense that the ALL-in-one includes weX and everything else required... Perhaps Fred can chip in with his opinion?

wiak

fredx181

#56 Post by fredx181 »

Well... I can see the logic in not including gifenc, it has not to do with screencasting, but I wouldn't mind if it's included in the all-in-one (as it's very tiny addition).

Btw. note that gifenc does depend on the ffmpeg (and yad) installed in the system (cannot make use of the ffmpeg inside the wex-portable)

Fred

wiak

#57 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:(and yad)
Ah, yes, I forgot about that just now. Yes, that is a major reason really not to include it in All-in-one, since not really an all in one if gifenc-yad inclused without yad (and yad certainly has to be kept as own package since it's major and a core system package like gtkdialog/gtkwialog) - though from Puppy dotpet point of view that's maybe not a big deal since yad likely to become installed on Pups surely nowadays? Then again, a separate dotpet for gifenc-yad also makes a lot of sense since it is a standalone program and doesn't depend on weX for any functionality per se.

I've no fixed opinion about it, except the weX user-util config by default should include gifenc-yad as optional button (which only pops up in weX if gifenc-yad actually installed anyway).

wiak

Mike Walsh

#58 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Any 'constraints', as far as which version of YAD is required for gifenc-sel/gifenc-yad? I would hazard a guess it needs to be new-ish?

(As far as I'm concerned, everything is ready for upload. Pets for

a) Wex 0.8.18 'all-in-one' (both arches) - these will be updated in due course, as & when;
b) The static ffmpeg builds (both arches), for system-wide use;
c) 'GIF-creator' (gifenc-sel) - noarch, of course, since it's just a script;
d) YAD v0.40 (both arches)

Just waiting on confirmation about YAD version, that's all.)

fredx181

#59 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, don't know exactly, the yad version 0.12 is too old, just tested gifenc with v 0.20 and works fine, so 0.40 will be double fine :D

Fred

mikeslr

Whether to include Yad or not

#60 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

I appreciate 'All-in-one'/"self-contained" application packages. They're an efficient way to publish, enabling the user to quickly get up and running without having to track down dependencies. But, IMHO, every good idea can be taken too far.

Where I would draw the line is when a potential component is a 'foundation module' -- needed not only for the prospect application but for several other applications a user may also want. Wine, and Qt are examples of 'foundation applications.' Once it's present/installed on the system it can be used by several applications. Duplication of such module by also including it in an application, or several applications, just uses disk-space/Puppy-Space and band-width.

Python seems to be an exception to the exception: each application depending on python may require its own version, or some component depending on a specific python version; and unlike Qt, the presence of different versions of python results in conflicts. But then, I admit that I don't understand python.

I'm not sure where yad falls on this spectrum of 'foundation modules'. Can a system support two versions without their causing conflicts? Are newer versions backward-compatible so that the installation (via pet) of a newer version won't break applications dependent on an older version? Can an application packaged as an SFS or external program run if a different version of yad exists in the SaveFile/Folder or Puppy_version_number.sfs [both of which have priority in the "merge file system"?

All tolled, I think it would be better not to include yad in the application itself, but rather to either note the dependency of a particular version or higher in the announcement, perhaps providing a link to a qualifying pet, sort of like what you did in packaging google-chrome for both Tahrpup64 and Slacko64 where the latter needed an additional file/lib. Or like what ITSMERSH did with PaDS --providing notice when the application was installed that in order to function from the Menu --with its greater customization options-- xdotool was required.

fredx181

#61 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mikeslr, I understand what you wrote and agree for the most, but I don't think Mike Wash's intention is to include yad in the "all-in-one" weX package or gifenc package.
(but he better speak for himself)

About wex-portable, it's convenient to use (dependencies. e.g. static ffmpeg build included), but a better way might be to install the (static) ffmpeg and weX .pet package separate, then this ffmpeg version can also be used system-wide.
Well.. if choice of these different setups is provided, it's okay IMHO.

EDIT:
@Mike Walsh, nice avatar ! (but very distracting... no... just teasing you.. again.. couldn't resist :wink: )

Fred

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fred/Mikeslr:-

Fred:- Ok, that's fair enough. Everything's now uploaded.....just gotta post the links.

--------------------------------------------

Mike:- Oh, I agree, absolutely; I'm starting to realise this myself. It's pointless installing a particular item for 2 or 3 apps, then 'overwriting' it again with another app that has the same item built-in.

So.....this is what's going to be available:-

WeX 0.8.18 'all-in-one' screencaster

Scrox is built-in to the wex-portable binary in /usr/bin, as are libImlib2 and libgiblib1, and the static ffmpeg builds supplied by Fred. Will's Weav post-processor is also included in the package, as are Menu entries for starting both separately.

32-bit version

64-bit version

-------------------------------------------------

'Static' FFmpeg builds, for global, system-wide use

32-bit version - build 3.1.2

64-bit version - build 3.3.4

These install to /usr/bin, and over-write the elderly version shipped by default with Puppy. If you really want to keep the old version (just in case), copy it somewhere safe before installing the .pet.

I've been using the 32-bit version across most of the kennels for a while now, and haven't noticed any 'issues'; if anything, I've noticed distinct improvements in certain areas.....like audio recording finally works properly for the first time in ages!

Current builds of YAD - compiled v0.40.0

32-bit

64-bit

Installs to /usr/bin. 32-bit was compiled in Tahr 6.0.6, 64-bit compiled in Xenialpup64 7.5. This makes very little difference, though; YAD, once compiled, appears to run in pretty much any Pup of the same architecture.The 32-bit version is quite happy in Racy 5.5.....and that's not even a Woof-CE Puppy; it's a T2, IIRC.

And finally.....

Fred's gifenc-sel 'GIF-creator'

Simply a script, so 'noarch', and will work in any Pup, so long as a suitably up-to-date version of ffmpeg is installed. It requires this, since the version built-in to the WeX 'all-in-one' is only for that app's use.

AFAIK, Fred recommends installing 'xterm' from the PPM before you use this.....

Attached below. (See following post for new version.)

Enjoy.

Attachments
GIF_creator-noarch.pet
Creates GIFs from your video clips. 'Noarch' - runs in any Puppy. Requires recent version of FFmpeg - see above.
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 23:14, edited 4 times in total.

fredx181

#63 Post by fredx181 »

Great job Mike !!!

About Gif-creator, a little late (sorry), but the gifenc-sel script really needed some improvements:
- Not depending on xterm installed anymore.
(will check if xterm is present, otherwise use rxvt)
- Showing some output now (info) in the term window (previously only if there was a warning)
- Display GIF icon in the yad window (instead of the (ugly) yad icon)
- Shows errors if there are any in the term window.

Attached version 2.0.0 .pet.

Fred
Attachments
GIF_creator-2.0.0_noarch.pet
Gif-creator 2.0.0
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
image-4.png
Output in terminal
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

Mike Walsh

#64 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:About Gif-creator, a little late (sorry), but the gifenc-sel script really needed some improvements:
- Not depending on xterm installed anymore.
(will check if xterm is present, otherwise use rxvt)
- Showing some output now (info) in the term window (previously only if there was a warning)
- Display GIF icon in the yad window (instead of the (ugly) yad icon)
- Shows errors if there are any in the term window.

Attached version 2.0.0 .pet.

Fred
Nice one. Image

mikeslr

Thanks

#65 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Mike, Fred and wiak for your ingenuity and perseverance. :D