Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 17:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Smallest install for browser only operation?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
CrimsonEclipse

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2018, 15:58    Post subject:  Smallest install for browser only operation?  

I am using a Toshiba NB255-N250 netbook for streaming music.
It initially had WIN8 and now runs ChromeOS
CPU is a single core ATOM processor
RAM is 2 GB
16 GB Samsung SSD

I only use this netbook for streaming music through a browser and using Chrome OS only with a single browser tab is using almost ALL of the RAM and pegging the CPU almost constantly. (according to the COG app)

I would also like to get away from the Google universe.

I would like to boot to browser like Chrome OS (except using Firefox) but it's not a requirement. i can skip just about everything else.

Boot, open Firefox, login to Pandora or Spotify or whatever, enjoy.

I'd even be up to using a command line setup but it'd need more hand holding on that one.

Any specific suggestions?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018, 12:49    Post subject: Why not use a dedicated music radio streamer  

Hi CrimsonEclipse,

Your request suggests one of two possibilities: either an older web-browser which can access spotify and pandora, or a light-weight current web-browser which can do that. See, the problem with most current web-browsers is that they are being built to handle the graphic-rich content of many current web-sites. In order to do that web-browsers have tripled in size and their need for computer resources.

But your interest isn't in graphics-rich pictures and videos but rather in streaming music. Why not go with a dedicated music streamer rather than a web-browser?

Most Puppies and DebianDogs include OOTB some application for streaming internet radio. Others can be installed. Those fall into two categories: (1) Applications which, although not built into the Puppy/Dog by its Dev, have already been built to work with that Puppy/Dog and can easily be installed using the package manager; and (2) those that haven't already been built but may be possible to install by installing all their respective component parts.

I should tell you that in part because Slackware is rather conservative its build philosophy I work mostly with Puppies and Dogs based on Ubuntu and Debian rather than Slackware. IMHO, although Puppy Package Manager (PPM) has gotten very good at enabling the installation of packages from Ubuntu and Debian repos, the DebianDogs --which use the Synaptic and Apt, the same package managers used by Ubuntu and debian-- are easier.

Edit: Deleted paragraph re Icecast. Either it, or tunapie which rationalizes it, require python, creating complications.

A not-exhaustive search suggest that installing either or both the pandora and spotify clients into a debiandog-stretch may be easier than into recent Ubuntu or Debian-based Puppies. You'll find the instructions on these posts for debian-stretch proper. The instructions for DebianDog-stretch should be similar, and the guys/gals working on the debiandogs are known to be helpful in providing advice should you run into some obstacle. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/How-to-Install-Spotify-in-Debian-Linux/td-p/1675400; https://packages.debian.org/stretch/admin/pandorafms-agent

A word of caution. I've had problems with trying to run any Linux on my wife's Toshiba laptop. Always start your explorating of a Puppy or DebianDog by installing it onto a USB-Key and running it from there. If any hurdles running from a USB-Key are overcome, before replacing your computers current OS, dual boot both systems from the hard-drive. I've had systems work from the USB-Key, but then have its installer screw-up key-boards, sound, and/or wifi when installed to the hard-drive.

Returning to your actual question, as of April 2017 to access Spotify via your web-browser, that web-browser must include/provide Widevine DRM. See Mike Walsh's post about that: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=930633#930633: Short version -- your not going to get that in a light web-browser unless you compile the browser yourself.

As far as I can tell, Pandora doesn't have that limitation. But see this post: https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/15/pandora-premium-web-browser-support/

Further caveat: Many websites now check to see if you are using a "current browser --read that as a recent google-chrome or firefox Quantum-- before even allowing you to access their sites. I don't know about pandora. But, even if it were possible to access Pandora with an old light-weight browser, pandora may not let you.

mikesLr

PS. As far as I can tell, you've already max'd out the amount of RAM your computer can use. You might obtain some relief by adding a Swap file or drive, up to 4 Gb if running Puppies/Dogs as they won't need near the 16 Gbs of your SSD drive. I don't know about ChromeOS's ability to use Swap. Swaps function as additional RAM but are 10+ times slower on sata drives. Should be substantially quicker on an SSD.
CrimsonEclipse

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018, 22:52    Post subject:  

Oh wow, what an answer!

I'll need some time to chew on this.

Thanks you so much!

CE
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: