Music2go-Artful

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ITSMERSH

#31 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

Thanks for the Info.

StretchPlayer 0.503-2 seems to be also in the repository of Trusty Tahr.

Re the 64bit kernel:

Studio2Go (and Music2Go of course) seems to run pretty well on the Samsung N150 Netbook using the 64bit kernel. So, I have three different Puppies (Ok, one is a Dog) running on the Samsung N150 Netbook.

- Studio2Go (based on your Music2Go)
- OSIRIS Studio (based on my Lucid based LazY Puppy)
- BionicDog

:D

Smithy

#32 Post by Smithy »

Great stuff RSH.

I tested your VLC, goes through Jack and usb no problem.

Would be nice to be able to route browser audio through Jack sometimes as an option, but I guess it 'aint gonna happen easily.

If I find any other nifty little apps like Stretchplayer I will post them up.

ITSMERSH

#33 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

In my Studio2Go (made from Music2Go), I have installed Hydrogen 0.9.6 for known issues. The QjackCtl package also is from Tahr.

Since I could not get Artful's Rosegarden to work and there's already some older versions of programs installed in Studio2Go like PhaseX, AmSynth plus a few DSSI Synths, I tried to to get the Rosegarden from Tahr to work.

It started, and worked. But there was a small issue with huge unwanted results. When changing a MIDI channel in Rosegarden, it changes the Instrument e.g. in ZynAddSubFx or QSynth to a specific instrument. So, after clicking through all 16 MIDI channels, all instruments of ZynAddSubFx/QSynth are equal.

Pity.

Though, I have a Rosegarden 11.11.42 .sfs from Precise. Just installed the binary and the stuff from /usr/share and Rosegarden worked immediately without to change any instruments in ZynAddSubFx or QSynth. :D

Just to get you informed...

Smithy

#34 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for the info RSH.
I know qjacktl 0.4.5 is not functioning properly, both in stretch and artful, so I did put up 3.11 which works as expected.
Rosegarden, not used that for ages, remembered it looked nice, bit like cubase, but it always seemed to crash eventually, so good to know that the precise one is solid! Thanks.

ITSMERSH

#35 Post by ITSMERSH »

Yes, I had seen Rosegarden crashing a lot.

Very often, if it is already running and just loading a new song into that running Rosegarden. If it is re-started on each song to work on, seems to be stable (so far I can say this by small use/tests).

However, I don't know what part of lately installed software is causing this, but I have now Rosegarden 16.06, the Artful Pup version running in my Studio2Go. Again by just copying the binary and the stuff from /usr/share.

Need to do some tests, though...

Edit:

Since I'm using Studio2Go remastered with the 64bit real time kernel (no more zdrv), I'm going to like it more and more. Thanks again for Music2Go, the packages I used to build Studio2Go and the real time kernel - "luv it"! :D

Smithy

#36 Post by Smithy »

Seems to be running ok this end RSH :)

Gnome-MPlayer doesn't always seem to work properly, I think it is the Gnome bit of it :)
So here is an Smplayer pet. Much better. And it does Jack.
I think the mplayer and mpv player files in The Ubuntu Artful repo are broken or not complete.
But fortunately Peebee has a good Mplayer in Artful, (which smplayer uses). I have included the libs for it to work in Music2Go Artful. Also included is an open with right click for smplayer.

If you want all video media to open automatically with it, then default applications chooser in puppy setup is where the changes can be made. You Might have to alter the permissions in usr/local/bin.

If you want the black skin, go into options/preferences/interface
and for GUI, select Skinnable GUI.

I have also put radkey/woodenshoe rox filer update 5 in the smokey01 repo.
It is the version used in the RT version of Music2Go and also the final sfs. But not in the original ISO without all the music apps. So if you're sick of drag and drop, there it is!
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/
Attachments
smplayer-skinnable.png
(44.26 KiB) Downloaded 939 times

ciento

#37 Post by ciento »

https://u-he.com/products/zebra2/

Hi, there is a linux demo version of Zebra synthesizer to download at the link, but it says it won' install in a root system. If you have some
spare time/interest, could you make a non-root user in your
distro, and test the installer? It's just a normal bash script
that makes a /home/you/.u-he folder for data, and links the synth .so
to /home/you/.vst

As a bonus, u-he provide a nice free no-limits lite version
called Zebralette. The demo itself is a full version, but starts playing
random notes on key-presses, after about 13 minutes,
until reloaded in the vst host
Cheers

ITSMERSH

#38 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

The u-he company offers some other Synthesizers/FX for free.

I got four of them running in my LazY Puppy Art Studio (Tahr 602based):

Podolski
Protoverb
Repro
TripleCheese

Downloaded Zebralette for Linux right now. Will test later.

Umm: it's 64bit, so unable to use in my Art Studio! :(

Smithy

#39 Post by Smithy »

Hi ciento, is it the installer you are wanting to test? I think Lowtech's Studio distros might host linux64 plugs.
If you want to run the win synth demos, just convert them with linvst to try them out.

ciento

#40 Post by ciento »

Thanks for all the replies, I've got several scenarios to ponder,
things to learn etc, and then-things to-do kept hopping up like a
cyber whack-a-mole...
hopefully the weekend will let the dust settle.
Cheers

ITSMERSH

#41 Post by ITSMERSH »

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Ardour5 5.12 in Studio2Go with real time kernel.
(78.73 KiB) Downloaded 716 times

Smithy

#42 Post by Smithy »

Good stuff, so I take it you got the firewire interface up and running well? I think I prefer recording now in puppy than win, it's less glitchy and simpler. But not for mixing. The mixer in qtractor is a bit of a donkey..

ITSMERSH

#43 Post by ITSMERSH »

No Firewire checked so far. I will make some tests on Firewire mixer tonight, on the computer in my rehearsal room (there's the Helix MK2 Firewire mixer installed).

At home I'm using Qtractors mixer rarely - just to have a good pre-mix when composing. For audio mix-downs I'm using Jack Mixer and Audacity.

Smithy

#44 Post by Smithy »

Ah right, got it, firewire mixer. That'll do the job.

ITSMERSH

#45 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

Ardour 5.12 is pretty cool.

When starting Ardour and choosing e.g. the template for recording session I can start a project with 18 audio tracks and choose the Phonic Helix Board 24 Firewire MKII as recording/sound device.

After the project is created/loaded all channel inputs are connected to the Phonic Mixer channels. Though, I can't try recording a multi-track session tonight, as the drum kit isn't yet completely ready for a use and no microphones are connected.

But within the next week I will be able to give it a try.

Unfortunately Ardour doesn't recognize the 2nd Phonic Board which is connected to the 1st Phonic Board. Cubase 5 and up allows to record 32 tracks that way.

Never mind, if multi track recording will work for the 16/18 tracks of the 1st Phonic Board.

Smithy

#46 Post by Smithy »

Hi RSH, was having a look at your and Revolverve threads in Multimedia section. Good stuff going on there.

I was reading the Revolverve thread and you were trying to get Qtractor to
mix down your audio and midi tracks?

If you hit: EDIT/TRACK/EXPORT TRACKS/AUDIO
Then you will get a dialogue offering where to export the mixdown wave track, (I usually save outside the Qtractor folder, like in Downloads or somewhere)
AND what buses you want to be included in the export (you could just click on MASTER).
Also the range of the mixdown, the whole session length, or a loop, whatever.
Then hit OK and it will render the mixdown including any midi (internal synths, LV2, VST etc) NOT Sure about external MIDI synths though.
And yes Cadence needs a little FORCE Restart now and again I notice!
Always seems to recover though eventually :)
Anyways, hope this helps if that was what you were trying to do?

Smithy

#47 Post by Smithy »

I've been trying out this DSP Brickwall Limiter, Seems very transparent on the audio, and could save a track from possibly peaking into distortion on occasion.
Not tried the LADSPA plugin yet, but the win vst version is working well.
Flash, could you remove that other post on Loudmax please, I accidently hit the wrong button.
Further info here:

https://loudmax.blogspot.com/
Attachments
LM_Screenshot.png
(39.72 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times

Smithy

#48 Post by Smithy »

Hi, I’ve put Fred’s / Tizen YouTube Player/ Downloader in the Smokey repository.
There were a couple of icons missing in the deeper layers, like send comments.
I think I found all the missing ones, with Fred’s help and the pet also changes some of the general information
Dialogues in Puppy from the shocking red warning triangles to a more mellow green info box.

The icons changed are Dialogue-error, information, question, stop, warning, help-about and nb
In pixmaps puppy, in case you like the original ones.
Attachments
dialogues.png
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 1163 times

Smithy

#49 Post by Smithy »

Hi, I’ve put Gnome Maps in the Smokey repository.
It uses Open Street Maps.
To work it, grab the world with your mouse and move it where you want to look at, then middle mouse will zoom in down to street name level. 45mb download.
I think the maps can actually be downloaded and incorporated into the app, but at the moment it uses the internet to get the maps, doesn’t seem to use horrendous gigabytes though. :)

Might work with other pups around 17 or 18, but not tested.
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%2 ... e-maps.pet
Attachments
gnome maps.jpg
(237.27 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

Smithy

#50 Post by Smithy »

I’ve noticed that if playing videos of 30 mins or more in SMPlayer, the audio stream starts to screw up over the usb bus, possibly also the standard alsa bus. Forcing the cache in the app should help if you come across this. Depending on how much ram you have of course :)
Attachments
Cache.png
(66.59 KiB) Downloaded 1069 times