Music2go-Artful

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Smithy

#16 Post by Smithy »

Final SFS with all the packages has been fixed/ replaced from today.
a bit bigger at 369mb.

It now includes Guitarix and watch you don't blow yor ears off with the massive db differences in those presets. Also some great amp sims+fx are available as LV2 plugins in Qtractor.

The Jack was busted, but now is fffffffixed.

EDIT:
1. If you are having trouble with Hydrogen and Qtractor (auto stop notes) there is a reversion pet from 0.9.7 to 0.9.6 beta 3 (RSH discovery)

2. Some extra drumkits (drumkits2 pet)

3. If you are using the individual pets, as opposed to the Final SFS, there is a fix menus pet, which, stops them appearing twice in the menu. (Puppy menu structure is different to ubuntu, you don't say.).

EDIT:
There is a Qtractor File Associations pet, which enables just clicking on .qtz files to get Qtractor to decompress and open them, also right click open with Qtractor entry. Thanks go to mjmikulcik for working that out.

Lin Vst Server shutdown pet:
If you are using the Lin Vst Server to load up and use vst plugins, you may notice in htop (and gatotray cpu usage on the taskbar) that all the plugins are still consuming resources even after you have finished with them. This is a kill entry in Multimedia that will zap them out of memory when you're done.

Smithy

#17 Post by Smithy »

I've done a Realtime ISO, using a James Bond Kernel and tweaked the IRQ threading.

Definitely getting lower latencies with this kernel and yet it runs cool and quiet.

Strictly for testing. 64 bit, so it won't run on old atoms , but with 32 bit architecture for the music apps.
Only wanted the boost for Jack.

I've swapped out Zyn for the Yoshimi LV2 synth, which seems a little nicer. If you need the massive banks from ZynAddSubFX, they are available as a pet called yoshimi big banks.
Samplev1 LV2 Sampler is in there as well. And some new Equaliser plugs.

Also is a drum machine by the late and great HG Fortune, vst synth maker and programmer.
Handy for knocking up some beats with Qtractor as container and also to see how tight the clock is in this Linux.

There's a python script that converts Hydrogen Drum Scripts so they can be used directly in Drumkv1 (not in this ISO...). Could be interesting to try though. Just making a note of it here.
https://github.com/TuriSc/hydrogen2drumkv1.py/

Hope it boots ok if anyone would like to try it and feed back in case it doesn't! Kernel is not too old, not too new. 4.4.5.2
(RSH, you should be able to try/swap the kernel in your Studio2go, the IRQ threading is built into the vmlinux and zdrv all contained)

http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%2 ... %20Kernel/

ITSMERSH

#18 Post by ITSMERSH »

I had already thought about using a real time kernel, though I've never changed a kernel in any Puppy, so I don't know if I could handle that.

foxpup

#19 Post by foxpup »

ITSMERSH wrote:I had already thought about using a real time kernel, though I've never changed a kernel in any Puppy, so I don't know if I could handle that.
:o really? Just switch vmlinuz and zdrv, changing the names of course.

ITSMERSH

#20 Post by ITSMERSH »

foxpup wrote:
ITSMERSH wrote:I had already thought about using a real time kernel, though I've never changed a kernel in any Puppy, so I don't know if I could handle that.
:o really? Just switch vmlinuz and zdrv, changing the names of course.
Yes, really.

Some time ago I'd read somewhere that changing kernels might need re-compiling of programs against that kernel. :?

I hate compiling as I was successful only on two or three programs out of probably 50 or 60 I'd tried to compile.

So, that means I download the new Music2Go, grab its vmlinuz and zdrv_artfulpup_17.11.sfs, renaming to zdrv_Studio2Go_1.0.sfs and it returns a realtime audio studio to me?

So, @Smithy, why not just uploading the new vmlinuz and zdrv_artfulpup_17.11.sfs to the your repository?

Could save me some high-speed volume on my prepaid gprs usb modem along with other users...

foxpup

#21 Post by foxpup »

ITSMERSH wrote:Some time ago I'd read somewhere that changing kernels might need re-compiling of programs against that kernel. :?

I hate compiling as I was successful only on two or three programs out of probably 50 or 60 I'd tried to compile.

So, that means I download the new Music2Go, grab its vmlinuz and zdrv_artfulpup_17.11.sfs, renaming to zdrv_Studio2Go_1.0.sfs and it returns a realtime audio studio to me?
All that needs recompiling should be in zdrv.
So, go ahead and try it. It should be all right.

Smithy

#22 Post by Smithy »

I put up the zdrv and vmlinuz.

EDIT: It's working fine on a quick test by renaming Studio2Go SFS and Studio2Go Adrv to Artful 1711 bla bla and using music2go initrd.gz.
And the latency is better. So there is scope.

foxpup

#23 Post by foxpup »

Smithy wrote:I put up the zdrv and vmlinuz.

EDIT: It's working fine on a quick test by renaming Studio2Go SFS and Studio2Go Adrv to Artful 1711 bla bla and using music2go initrd.gz.
You did it the other way around, kind of, but it seems perfect to me.

ITSMERSH

#24 Post by ITSMERSH »

Smithy wrote:I put up the zdrv and vmlinuz.

Cool, thanks! :D

ITSMERSH

#25 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

Thanks again for that real time kernel.

What I don't understand is, it says x86_64, which is 64bit, right?

So Artful (which Music2Go is based on) is 32bit and so its programs is 32bit software. Why and how does this 32bit Artful/Music2Go work on a 64bit kernel? :?

However, I made some testings today.

Booted fine, all programs worked as expected, and the best of all: Suddenly I do have now 2 monitors working as one desktop, which wasn't working that way under 32bit kernel. I had 2 monitors both with equal contents instead.

Now I have a two-monitor-wide-screen view. Pretty good! :D

May I ask you how about a package for the ffado drivers to make some testings for the use of simultaneously multi-track audio recording?

Another Question: will Music2Go/Studio2Go work with 64bit kernel on a Samsung N150 Netbook (since I don't know if this is a 64bit machine)?

Smithy

#26 Post by Smithy »

Hi RSH,
Good that you have two monitors functioning.

Well according to this your netbook should work ok:
https://ark.intel.com/products/42503/In ... e-1_66-GHz.

Firewire? Have you tried:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/i386 ... 2/filelist
Not used firewire for a long time, and it was mac.
Don't know much about compatibility chipsets and such in Linux.
Have you had any reliable firewire multitrack use in Puppy before?
What you gonna use, Ardour or something?

I made this as a quick sketchpad so that when you go kerraang on your guitar or keyboard, or drum pads or effected vox, some noise comes out immediately (64ms) rather than later :)

foxpup

#27 Post by foxpup »

ITSMERSH wrote:What I don't understand is, it says x86_64, which is 64bit, right?

So Artful (which Music2Go is based on) is 32bit and so its programs is 32bit software. Why and how does this 32bit Artful/Music2Go work on a 64bit kernel? :?
LxPupSc is also like that!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101527

Smithy

Stretchplayer

#28 Post by Smithy »

Oh yeah Foxpup, LXPupSc is an interesting one.

Well I was looking for a puppy system wide audio file browser that would run through the jack server, and I found this 69k of goodness.

It is a file browser/ player/realtime time stretcher that performs transgender operations on vocalists... erm actually it can be used to practice playing in different keys and trying out difficult guitar solos etc by slowing down, speeding up or transposing songs.
You need to start up Cadence in Multimedia (jack control) first and then it will run. The advantage of Cadence is that you can select the realtime render button and save your new file for practice later.

I've also done right click play option/open with for ease of use when browsing a wav file!

The author states that it wont run at latencies lower than 256 periods/frames, but I guess the rubber band/ jack libraries have improved and it is running quite happily at 64 periods/frames (1.5ms latency). I've put it in Smokey's repo.
Attachments
Stretchplayer.png
(52.31 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 05 Aug 2018, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.

ITSMERSH

#29 Post by ITSMERSH »

Well I was looking for a puppy system wide audio file browser that would run through the jack server, and I found this 69k of goodness.
Don't know what a "audio file browser" is, though I'm using ALSA Player and/or Aqualung to play Music when JACK Audio is running/used. My VLC Player has also a PlugIn to play in JACK Audio, though it needs some options submitted, so I wrote a small wrapper script, that starts VLC with JACK options submitted, if JACK Audio is used (it simply checks for a running QJACKCTL).
Have you had any reliable firewire multitrack use in Puppy before?
What you gonna use, Ardour or something?
I had it running once for testings (can't remember the Puppy Version, it was at time around Precise, I think). Helix Board recognized, Rosegarden could be setup for Multi-Track-Recording.

Though, it crashed after a few seconds: could not write data to hd, too slow. (or similar).

Just want to make some new testings on newer versions.

Usually at my home recording studio I'm using Qtractor, Hydrogen and ZynAddSubFx.

Would be cool if could record my huge drum kit to 16-track-recordings in Puppy. 8)

Smithy

#30 Post by Smithy »

Well it's a time and key stretcher as well as a browser for audio wavs.
Should work with qjackctl btw.

Yes I noticed the VLC Jack in your Studio sfs, pretty good that, didn't try it yet.
They made a Firefox that would also use Jack as standard back in 2016,
and then got scared and removed it and defaulted to pulse audio....
And so OscarTalks had to do the Apulse thing presumably.
Maybe he might want to try a Jack compiled 32 bit Firefox, see how it runs.

"Would be cool if could record my huge drum kit to 16-track-recordings in Puppy."
Yes that would be great, ideally straight into ram and save afterwards.
That might remove the hard drive bottleneck maybe.

Can't see it being a problem if Computer components and artful firewire drivers are up to spec and the application will see multiple inputs.
Actually that is quite a big demand on ram and everything :) !
16 microphones of different frequency types for BD, Snare, Hats, Toms, Cymbals and overheads, and associated cabling.

But when you think about it, those old ADAT machines were tripled up and didn't have a problem and also later stuff.

Even the Akai Samplers could do eight track I recall, S5000 beasts.
Couldn't do long recordings though even with the ram maxed out...
Good luck with it.

ITSMERSH

#31 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

Thanks for the Info.

StretchPlayer 0.503-2 seems to be also in the repository of Trusty Tahr.

Re the 64bit kernel:

Studio2Go (and Music2Go of course) seems to run pretty well on the Samsung N150 Netbook using the 64bit kernel. So, I have three different Puppies (Ok, one is a Dog) running on the Samsung N150 Netbook.

- Studio2Go (based on your Music2Go)
- OSIRIS Studio (based on my Lucid based LazY Puppy)
- BionicDog

:D

Smithy

#32 Post by Smithy »

Great stuff RSH.

I tested your VLC, goes through Jack and usb no problem.

Would be nice to be able to route browser audio through Jack sometimes as an option, but I guess it 'aint gonna happen easily.

If I find any other nifty little apps like Stretchplayer I will post them up.

ITSMERSH

#33 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

In my Studio2Go (made from Music2Go), I have installed Hydrogen 0.9.6 for known issues. The QjackCtl package also is from Tahr.

Since I could not get Artful's Rosegarden to work and there's already some older versions of programs installed in Studio2Go like PhaseX, AmSynth plus a few DSSI Synths, I tried to to get the Rosegarden from Tahr to work.

It started, and worked. But there was a small issue with huge unwanted results. When changing a MIDI channel in Rosegarden, it changes the Instrument e.g. in ZynAddSubFx or QSynth to a specific instrument. So, after clicking through all 16 MIDI channels, all instruments of ZynAddSubFx/QSynth are equal.

Pity.

Though, I have a Rosegarden 11.11.42 .sfs from Precise. Just installed the binary and the stuff from /usr/share and Rosegarden worked immediately without to change any instruments in ZynAddSubFx or QSynth. :D

Just to get you informed...

Smithy

#34 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for the info RSH.
I know qjacktl 0.4.5 is not functioning properly, both in stretch and artful, so I did put up 3.11 which works as expected.
Rosegarden, not used that for ages, remembered it looked nice, bit like cubase, but it always seemed to crash eventually, so good to know that the precise one is solid! Thanks.

ITSMERSH

#35 Post by ITSMERSH »

Yes, I had seen Rosegarden crashing a lot.

Very often, if it is already running and just loading a new song into that running Rosegarden. If it is re-started on each song to work on, seems to be stable (so far I can say this by small use/tests).

However, I don't know what part of lately installed software is causing this, but I have now Rosegarden 16.06, the Artful Pup version running in my Studio2Go. Again by just copying the binary and the stuff from /usr/share.

Need to do some tests, though...

Edit:

Since I'm using Studio2Go remastered with the 64bit real time kernel (no more zdrv), I'm going to like it more and more. Thanks again for Music2Go, the packages I used to build Studio2Go and the real time kernel - "luv it"! :D