Latest 32bit Puppy as of April 2018? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
scsijon

Latest 32bit Puppy as of April 2018? (Solved)

#1 Post by scsijon »

I Just had my old wary/racy551 partition collapse to the point of unworkable. The data was recoverable, but little else, so I've decided to rebuild it with something later. (Thankfully it's not the one i'm keeping the testing and building regime on).

However not been playing with those out there I thought i'd put the question out there on what's running.

Requirements are simple:

Must be 32bit.
Able to run Firefox and Thunderbird.

Everything else I can handle.

Thanks
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi scsijon,

I've forgotten --and am too lazy to search for references about -- your computer's specs.

Regarding the latest: Suggest radky's dpup-stretch 7.5 which you'll find at the beginning of the thread containing OscarTalks' discussion about firefox 57. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 563#977563. I'm not sure that's necessary. IIRC, this Puppy ran fredx181's firefox Quantum-portable 58, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 010#978010 without my having to do anything. But I'm not currently on it and haven't booted into it in a couple of weeks.

For now, I'd avoid Upup bionic beaver and artfulpup. Both are solid. But artfulpup is based on Ubuntu Artful Aardvark which will shortly reach EOL and I expect peebee will thereafter confine his work to Upup Bionic Beaver. Ubuntu hasn't published a final release and Ubuntu, and peebee, are issuing updates almost daily.

There is, of course, xenialpup which certainly will meet your needs if your computer is new enough. As far as I know, the general consensus is that the 4.1 kernel provides improved performance on older computers over the stock 4.9 kernel. dpup-stretch, you'll notice, is available in 2 flavors.

Personally, I like "Tahrpup 6.0.6 with the 4.1.30 Kernel & updated apps", http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 810#982810 but that may be because I built it. If I hadn't, I probably run musher0's xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits with kernel 4.1, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 619#971619. In fact, I'd recommend that xenialpup over my tahrpup if you have plans to use a devx. As I "flinched" the kernel, there's some question of what devx, if any, can be used with this updated Tahrpup. And, frankly, there was, and is, nothing wrong with Tahrpup 6.0.6.

If the above are too demanding for your computer, I can recommend csipesz' Precise 5.7.1 Retro Minimal, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 774#954774. It was recently published and contains any security upgrades. 'Though itself "Minimal", there are many applications you can install/load and I was pleasantly surprised by how little in the way of useful types of applications was lost in a five year OS regression. Although one of the things lost is the ability to run the latest firefox, earlier versions and the latest palemoon (firefox fork) are available.

And then there's the Slackos. There shouldn't be any problem with Slacko 6.3. Nor using older versions of firefox on Slacko 5.6 or 5.7. And for the firefox Quantums (57 or above), there appears to be a solvable problem. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109902

For a long time both Mike Walsh and I had used Slacko 5.7 as our "work-horse", the Pup to boot into on any computer if you just wanted to get something done. He's recently switched to 5.6 which is nearly identical. I don't know of any application which can run under one and not the other. IIRC, the switch had something to do with how his computer was setup with multiple puppies rather than one performing better than the other.

mikesLr

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi, scsijon.

May I suggest two of my Pups? Although they are not the absolute latest, they are
still quite recent.

My xenialPup-7.0.6, at:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=mushe ... k41/distro
from Oct. 30, 2017

and

my PuppyStretch-7.0.0a1, with choice of kernels, at:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=mushe ... Os_de_base
from about a year ago.

If need be, you can run two Mozilla-type browsers plus OpenOffice at the same time
on them, and they are still stable. (With 4Gb of RAM; untried with 2Gb of RAM.)

Should you have any questions about them, please ask; I am still maintaining them.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

scsijon

#4 Post by scsijon »

Thank you both for your quick replys.

I already had an idea of trying Xenialpup as I had played with it earlier so I downloaded 7.0.6 and it's dev and installed them. For some reason it felt uncomfortable so I deleted it.

I then tried a 32bit Tarpup and that 'wasn't right for me' either.

I had a scan in the forum and in the end went back to a 32bit Quirky 7.2.1 I use elsewhere offline and cloned that. I shall clean it out and play with it tomorrow and see how that goes, else i'll hunt further.

It needs to be 32bit because of a couple of my old apps I use on a daily basis were written for the puppy 5.5 series.

thank you again

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, scsijon.

Mikeslr is quite right about the Slackos. I still use Slacko 5.7 on a regular basis - in fact, I'm posting from it now - but I installed 5.6 simply because I wanted to try it out. And, as Mike says, anything that runs on one will almost invariably run on the other.

I'm not a Firefox man (I've used Chrome since its inception, back in 2008), but I do have FF 52esr running quite happily on here, with NetFlix and everything working properly. And Thunderbird goes without saying; I've used it for years. I'm using the release channel variant, which auto-updates regularly......I think it's on 52.6 or 52.7 currently, or something like that.

For a solid 'workhorse', Micko's creation takes some beating.

Mike. :wink:

darry19662018

#6 Post by darry19662018 »

Hi Mike,

I run 8GEE's version of Slacko 570 it was and is a great solid Pup.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

darry19662018 wrote:Hi Mke,

I run 8GEE's version of Slacko 570 it was and is a great solid Pup.
Hiya, darry!

Back again, eh? I know, I know; hard to keep away, ain't it...? :lol:

Yes, I've always liked 570. It just seems so much stable than some other 5-series Pups (I don't know why). I do know this; my 570 gets used for all sorts of testing stuff.....and it's never once let me down.

Which is, of course, what you want.

Stick around, mate!

darry19662018

#8 Post by darry19662018 »

I will this time - come full circle and with more distros going systemd I am happy to get back to Pup.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

darry19662018 wrote:I will this time - come full circle and with more distros going systemd I am happy to get back to Pup.
Well, there's plenty to have a look at. There's a whole bunch of interesting stuff been released this last 18 months or so. I can certainly recommend giving Tahr 606 efi a look; 605 was rock-solid, this just builds on that with the addition of the UEFI stuff, and a newer kernel.

ETP & peebee both got new stuff out, and Barry's playing around with more ideas than ever. It's an interesting time to return to the fold.....

greengeek

Re: Latest 32bit Puppy? (Solved)

#10 Post by greengeek »

scsijon wrote:Requirements are simple:

Must be 32bit.
Able to run Firefox and Thunderbird.
I still find Slacko 5.6 a beautiful blend of rock solid ancient history yet also modern capability.

Slacko 5.7 was pretty good but on my hardware I kept running into too many incompatibilities so kept drifting back to Slacko 5.6

Depends on your particular hardware really.

(I have never run Thunderbird so can't offer accurate advice there...)

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:Hi, scsijon.

May I suggest two of my Pups? Although they are not the absolute latest, they are
still quite recent.
You didn't mention your Puduan version. Seemed pretty good when I gave it a quick test.

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

How "recent" (as in new) is Slacko 5.7 compared to the ubuntu based puppys and how does its size compare to the ubuntu based equavalent. How does it compare with regards to compatibility with hardware and why do you prefer to use it instead. I've never used Slacko but will give it a try if it is better.

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

nic007 wrote:How "recent" (as in new) is Slacko 5.7 .... why do you prefer to use it instead.
I suppose you could call it quite old now, because it is superceeded by 64bit pups. "Superceeded" only in the sense that hardware unnecessarily moved on to 64 bits therefore the trend is that software "may as well keep up".

In terms of software available for Slacko 5.7 Slackware has an extensive library of programmes and Slacko is also directly compatible with .deb files.

I suppose the main "issue" with slackos is that Slackware has a reputation for being "sparse" - in other words it is often necessary to go on a "lib hunt" in order to support a particular program or utility.

For me - that is a positive as it prevents the OS becoming as bloated as 'buntu based stuff. You can still package individual programs using "PRELOAD" techniques in order to avoid throwing bunches of libs into the main lib pool - and this technique allows you to load specific pets only when you need them (in your case without savefile this can be a useful technique as the pet disappears from memory at shutdown, leaving the system neat and trim at next boot).

EDIT - biggest Slacko 5.6 and 5.7 disadvantage is the lack of easy kernel swapping. Newer pups would offer better kernel swapping and therefore better (new) hardware support in that regard.

I stay away from UEFI hardware so still regard Slackos 5.6 and 5.7 as the premium pups for my hardware.

EDIT 2 - although I say that Slacko has an extensive library of software available, i do get the impression that the 'buntu's always have more available as a rule. But is it all needed? Only the individual user can say...

mikeslr

Better is too subjective, too many variables

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nic007,

Remember that scsijon opened this thread seeking something newer than wary551.

Better than 'Ubuntus' is too subjective a phrase, involves too many variables.

Here's my take: why Slacko 5.7 remains a choice I can boot into, while older 'Ubuntus' are stored as ISOs --mostly because I'm a packrat.

Slacko is based on Slackware which, unlike Ubuntu, has a very conservative upgrade policy. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Employing a 3-series kernels and four year old glibc and gtk libraries Slacko 5.6/7 require much less RAM and a less powerful CPU than the current crop of Puppies. Although Ubuntus, even those first published contemporaneous to Slacko 5.6/7, probably had more applications you could use, Slackos had some application for every category of work you might want.

The difference between current applications and their older versions tends to be 'bells and whistles' or security fixes. If I need the 'latest and greatest' application I'll boot into a recent 'Ubuntu-based' Puppy. If not, Slacko 5.7/6 will do the job. For example, as I have a particular interest in video editing, my Slacko can run openshot, KDEnlive, Avidemux, flowblade-0.14 and ffconvert.

Unlike Ubuntu, Slackware does not have an 'End-of-Life' for its versions after which it deletes their repos and stops producing even security fixes. The category of applications causing the most concern with security are Web-browsers which are constantly being updated. Slacko 5.6/7 CAN NOT run recent Chrome-clones, nor Firefox Quantro. But thanks to watchdog, it can run the most current Palemoon.

In fact, IIRC, about the only additions I've made to Slacko 5.7 in the last two years have been to install new openssl and Palemoon.

If "install it and forget it" is better, than Slacko 5.6/7 is right on the mark.

mikesLr

p.s. g/g posted while I was writing. You can separate out zdrv while using the built in Remaster or shinobar's remasterx. Once that's done, changing kernels is easy. However, I'd want a Series 3 kernel with meltdown and spectre patches to make changing kernels worth while. Linux org has published 'fixed' 3.16 and 3.18 kernels. But no Puppy Dev has 'puppified' them. Doing that is 'beyond my pay grade.'

Sailor Enceladus

#15 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@mikeslr: I've been occasionally building Slacko 5.7 branch with the latest woof-CE and 14.0 repository here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112300

The iso comes with kernel 3.18 by default and allows you to swap in a different kernel too. More testers welcome :)

hamoudoudou

end of life means only end of official support

#16 Post by hamoudoudou »

About artful Bionic end of life means only end of official support.. But they are lot of flavours still used. People have only to help each other.
if you install artfulpup (still active flavour) Puppy Linux users will help, even if Peebee has jump to new Bionic LTS..
Same for Xenial, vivid.. Support exists when supporters exist..
But really seasonal flavours die at the end of season, more by curiosity for next one than due to bad version. An loose of interest for experts.
About Ubuntu, clearly Canonical will not support any more 32 bits.. Soon the will no longer support laptops.. When ?
Old DEBian will be our choice, then..

RetroTechGuy

#17 Post by RetroTechGuy »

musher0 wrote:Hi, scsijon.

still quite recent.

My xenialPup-7.0.6, at:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=mushe ... k41/distro
from Oct. 30, 2017

and

my PuppyStretch-7.0.0a1, with choice of kernels, at:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=mushe ... Os_de_base
from about a year ago.

If need be, you can run two Mozilla-type browsers plus OpenOffice at the same time
on them, and they are still stable. (With 4Gb of RAM; untried with 2Gb of RAM.)

Should you have any questions about them, please ask; I am still maintaining them.

IHTH.
Thanks Musher. I'm probably at the point of needing an update (still running 5.28 -- wasn't so "keen" on Slacko)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Burn_IT

#18 Post by Burn_IT »

Snap.
And you cannot run 64bit software on old 32bit machines.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Sylvander

Re: Better is too subjective, too many variables

#19 Post by Sylvander »

mikeslr wrote:...only additions I've made to Slacko 5.7 in the last two years have been to install new openssl and Palemoon.
I'd like to do that, but where to get them and HOW to do it?
I'm running Slacko-5.7.0-pae.
My existing Palemoon is 24.7.1 (x86).
Openssl-1.0.1c [installed=1.0.1f]

mikeslr

Re: Better is too subjective, too many variables

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Sylvander wrote:
mikeslr wrote:...only additions I've made to Slacko 5.7 in the last two years have been to install new openssl and Palemoon.
I'd like to do that, but where to get them and HOW to do it?
I'm running Slacko-5.7.0-pae.
My existing Palemoon is 24.7.1 (x86).
Openssl-1.0.1c [installed=1.0.1f]
Have you tried Watchdog's palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676

and

belham2's openssl-1.0.2l-i686.pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 225#962225 or perhaps festus' openssl-1.0.2o-i686, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 249#989249.

IIRC, both Slacko 5.7 and Slacko 5.7.1 are built from Slackware 14.0 binaries, 'though I'm uncertain to what extent OS binary differences have any significance as to the functionality of openssl.

mikesLr