I want to get rid of my phone bill

Booting, installing, newbie
musher0

I want to get rid of my phone bill

#1 Post by musher0 »

@Flash: if this is the wrong section for this thread, please move it where it belongs.
Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello all.

I'm posting this in the newbie section because I know zilch about Pc-to-phone and
generally about using the computer for voice communications.

The situation is this: I pay my ISP CAD$29.90 per month for phone service, but I
barely use it. I do maybe 4-5 calls a month, and I receive about as much, mostly
from telemarketers, too.

On Puppy we have PSIP. If you search on the Web, you will also find Ekiga and
Linphone, and a couple of others. (Please, no reference to Skype or to Google-
phone. I love my freedom!)

Forum member Smokey001 has written quite a nice guide on how to use PSIP. That
got me interested initially. However, having read it, I was still not clear about PC-to-
phone and phone-to-PC. I probably read it wrong, but I was left with the impression
that PSIP was only offering voice communications between members of an Internet
phone network such as iptel.org.

Smokey, if you're reading this and I'm wrong, please correct me! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some of you will say: "Get a mobile phone." Well, they cost as much as a
computer (~ CAD$600.00), plus the line fees. Or you get the mobile phone for
supposedly "free", but you're tied with say, Fido or Koodoo, for the next three
years at an unreal monthly rate. I'd be worse off than at present. Please see
this Canadian data: https://www.cellphones.ca/cell-plans. (The price data
for mobile phones will obviously be different in your country.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doing a bit more research, I found that Ekiga has teamed up with DiamondCard,
which can provide PC-to-phone and phone-to-PC access. For inside Canada, at
2 cents/minute. DiamondCard has an office in Toronto, so it has a Canadian base.

Say I use the phone 30 minutes a month, that's sixty cents ($0.60) a month, not
$30.00 a month. The benefit is easy to see: shaving close to $360 a year off my
overall communications bill.

As I said I am still unclear, if I go with PSIP or Ekiga, about someone calling me
from a regular phone and me calling this person back from my PC.

I know that in my area, for less than $10 a month I can get a pager. This I
understand: family or friends or potential clients leave a message on the pager, and
I call them back ASAP from my PC. But maybe a good SIP network offers a pager
service as well?

If you have this experience and perhaps price data comparing the two situations,
and you are willing to share it, I would greatly appreciate it. (Or any other related
comment.)

Thanks in advance. "Talk" ;) with you later, hopefully.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

I'll tell you what I do.

I have google voice/hangouts which I have installed on an old Sprint Samsung S4. This is a phone that is about $90 used (although I got mine for free as a hand me down). It has no account and I just use it on wi-fi as my "home phone." So, there are no phone charges for that except for my cable internet. I tried a couple of different phone over internet, and Google was the only one that was dependable and gave you a free number.

Then for a cell phone I have a $35 ebay Droid 4 with Puppy Wireless $11 a month account. It runs on the Verizon network. It is 250 minutes, 250 texts, and enough internet for the occasional emergencies. If you go over, it charges something like 1.5 cents a minute. They also have a yearly plan that is even cheaper.

Since it doesn't cost anything, I'd open up a google voice account and get a phone number. Then try it out from your computer. That may fit your needs. Or, get an old cell phone.
Last edited by dancytron on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Galbi

#3 Post by Galbi »

musher0: How reliable are the connections (electricity/internet) where you live?

There is a risk you end totally uncommunicated...
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

drunkjedi

Re: I want to get rid of my phone bill

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

musher0 wrote:I pay my ISP CAD$29.90 per month for phone service
Whoops, it's sure costly there mate.
Here I am using a prepaid mobile plan, 7.5$ for 90 days.
Unlimited calling and sms within my country.
Plus 1.4 Gb data daily. (With no over usage charge, as ISP just shuts down connection when daily limit is reached).
The data speed is shit though in day, but it's faster at late night.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

I used Messenger app from Facebook in Japan recently.

Yes! I loathe Facebook, but my son said it would be a goer.

So if have wireless you can use it.

For free.
They wouldn't burgle you would they.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... orca&hl=en

https://www.guidingtech.com/28159/free- ... -messenger

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-call-some ... our-friend

Chris.

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

Specifically for calls between a computer and a phone I can tell you that SIP protocol softphones such as PSIP and Linphone can be very useful.

For incoming calls it is easy to have a number that other phone users can dial from their phones in order to contact you. They pay the call charge as normal to a land-line but for the computer (SIP phone) user there is no additional cost.

To make outgoing calls from computer to phones is where things get more tricky. I don't know of any totally free system but considerable savings can be made if you are prepared to hunt around and take a few steps. Many providers offer call rates that are a fraction of standard charges and some will offer a number of free minutes each month. This may be only to land-line numbers and not mobile (cell) numbers which these days is of limited help. With Linphone I can log in to multiple providers and use the best one for any given job. Obviously I can also make unlimited free audio and video calls using SIP address to SIP address calling.

Rather like with e-mail addresses which give free mail communication, SIP addresses look a bit like e-mail addresses and offer free calling and messaging. It is a pity that they haven't really caught on as something which people give to each other as they do with phone numbers and e-mail addresses. There are of course many other systems for calling over IP but SIP is non proprietary and there are options for encryption.

Make sure you have configured correctly then enter the sip address and call eg sip:echo@iptel.org
Oscar in England

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

As long as you can retain the internet service, I'd ditch the phone service/landline side, and do VOIP with a one-time purchase (~$100) of a OOMA unit - free unlimited phone service, with the only monthly charges being taxes/911 fee/etc (about $4 here in Michigan). It's just a box that plugs into your router, and into which you plug your old landline phone. They even have an app (with mixed reviews) that allows using a smartphone to make free calls over any WiFi;

https://www.ooma.com/telo/

Although I've no personal experience with OOMA myself (been meaning to make the jump, though...), I have a friend or two who've been on it for years, with no issues. Can even port your old landline phone number over to their VOIP service (for a one-time fee of ~$35 IIRC). In the USA, anyway...

Bob

greengeek

#8 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:Forum member Smokey001 has written quite a nice guide on how to use PSIP.
Any chance of adding a link to that info? thx!
OscarTalks wrote:...Rather like with e-mail addresses which give free mail communication, SIP addresses look a bit like e-mail addresses and offer free calling and messaging. It is a pity that they haven't really caught on as something which people give to each other as they do with phone numbers and e-mail addresses. There are of course many other systems for calling over IP but SIP is non proprietary and there are options for encryption.

Make sure you have configured correctly then enter the sip address and call eg sip:echo@iptel.org
I would really like to have a good reliable communication method using the ISP connection that I have already paid for (just like email !). For some reason I have never felt puppy phone would do the job (probably because I don't feel that i understand all of the hardware and software requirements) but I would like to get voice and maybe visual comms working peer to peer (currently using slimjet 11 webRTC via appear.in but wanting better privacy)

There is so much i don't understand:

- do i need to pay extra on top of my ISP connection?
- do i need to pay for a "sip address"?
- can i get my PC to boot into a mode where the IP comms is already established without intervention? (I need to establish communication with a relative who has psychiatric issues and cannot always drive a computer or does not always feel like establishing communications even though they may be a necessary part of evaluation and therapy).
- how likely is it that I can keep an "IP" address forever? I have sometimes been forced to discard an email address in the past and it really harms relationships.

Is there some way to establish a "SIP" company that would allow permanent retention of a "SIP number"? - it would be great to feel that I could hold onto a "web presence" via a SIP name forever.

OscarTalks - what are the chances of you posting an indepth HowTo thread to help Puppy users establish a reliable, long term method of communicating in real time with whoever they need to (ie both IP to IP and IP to landline/cellphone) as required?

cheers!

peterw

Phone Bill

#9 Post by peterw »

In the UK where landline providers (in my opinion) have modified their charging regimes to hold off the threat of mobile phone companies. By that I mean that the charge to have a line that you need to get the landline number and the internet has gone up and the charge for calls has gone down.

If you live in an area where there are 3 or more providers then competition helps keep the price down. Though this does not help me. In my deal evening calls are free but I opted to have a calls anytime package which ups the monthly charge by £7 but by negotiating with my provider they did a £8 per month reduction which covers both my internet and my phone.

Most of my calls are to family via the landline and since they all use "WhatsApp" and you can use that anywhere you can get on the internet (either WiFi or using up data allowance) then that is the other option.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, all, for your replies.

They really do help get the bigger picture.

@drunkjedi: Considering the G7 countries and Australia, Canada is near the
top of the list for mobile rates. Please see this CBC article:
Canada's cellphone rates rank among highest in 8-country study, report says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-ph ... -1.3717093

and this comparison chart:
https://www.comparemyrates.ca/home-phone-plans
I haven't found specific data for it yet, but I believe that would be true for
our landlines too.

@moat: thanks for the tip about OOMLA. In the same category, it seems that
MagickJack has cheaper rates, however. Please see:
https://www.moneycrashers.com/home-phon ... tives-save,
~ middle of the page.

@dancytron: clever solutions using second-hand equipment! I'll see what I
can find over here.

@OscarTalks: indeed, it is a shame PC-to-PC voice communications aren't
better known and used more.

Again, thanks to all. Keep'em coming! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

Since you live in Canada, see if Tracfone is OK. Their 3G/4G service is about $125US / 1yr contract. You can bring your own phone for 99 cents. SO buy a used 3G phone and pull the SIM card.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

8Geee wrote:Since you live in Canada, see if Tracfone is OK. Their 3G/4G service is about $125US / 1yr contract. You can bring your own phone for 99 cents. SO buy a used 3G phone and pull the SIM card.

Regards
8Geee
Shucks!
"I use a TracFone in the US which does not work in Canada, so when I travel to Canada (often -- I live a half hour drive from the border) I use a SpeakOut phone (which doesn't work in the US) from Seven Eleven Canada. You can purchase a phone at any of their stores, but they are not a nationwide chain (Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia only and not everywhere in each province -- no Quebec, Maritime, or northern tier province/territory stores). Air time is good for a year, and you can purchase it at any store or online. To check SpeakOut details, go to www.speakout7eleven.ca/ . Petro Canada (gas stations) has a similar program, but I don't know any details about it. I'm sure you can find them with a browser search."
Source: posted by someone from Detroit named Marc, here.

Good to know, though, if I ever travel in the Canadian West, or in the US.
Also for my compatriots out West.

TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

Hi greengeek.

I can only answer a couple of your questions:
greengeek wrote:
musher0 wrote:Forum member Smokey001 has written quite a nice guide on how to use PSIP.
Any chance of adding a link to that info? thx!
Here you go: http://www.smokey01.com/help/psip/psip-help.html
greengeek wrote:(...)
- do i need to pay for a "sip address"?
No. This much I know:
registering with the iptel.org international voice communications network is free.
greengeek wrote:(...)
Is there some way to establish a "SIP" company that would allow permanent
retention of a "SIP number"? - it would be great to feel that I could hold onto a
"web presence" via a SIP name forever.
(My underline)
This is what I am trying to find out. Stay tuned! Play on words:
maybe we could "establish" such a company starting with Puppyists! ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

@drunkjedi:
Some proof that Canadian phone services are high (the highest in the world?), from the
#1 "enemy-of-the-Canadian-people" in person ;) , Bell Canada:
https://www.bell.ca/Home_phone Second line on that page: CAD$53.44/mo.

I rest my case!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Moat

#15 Post by Moat »

Yup, grrr... I paid US $40.37 for phone service last month (AT&T) - for 39 minutes of actual use = over $1 per minute... :evil: I have got to get off my duff and do something about that... :oops: :(

Bob

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

Sipgate VoIP Service Review
I have one of these.
I was given a phone number and chose a country/region code that I wanted to coincide with my local code.
BUT...
If you have people you want to call and call you, who live in a certain region of the world, you can choose to have that as the region for your number, so that such calls are charged at local rates.
All incoming calls are free.

I have a Cisco VOIP adapter [here's how mine looks][an older model I bought years back] that connects by cable to my hub, and to which I can connect a normal landline type phone.
It's never used these days, but I'm often tempted to cancel my landline and use this instead.

The problem with the above is that if/when you call emergency services [999 here], they do not automatically know the exact location from which you are calling [the call is coming from the internet], so you must tell them your location.

Mercedes350se

#17 Post by Mercedes350se »

I use a Gigaset S685IP. It consists of 2 (or more) parts depending on the number of handsets.

One connects to the router/modem and the other, the handset, sits in a charging cradle near a power outlet.

My deal is AUD5 per month - untimed landline calls are free, calls to mobiles are cheap and I can call a number of countries also for free. If relatives or the majority of incoming calls are from the one city then a "Dial-in-number" can be set up for that city so their calls to you are at the local rate assuming, like here, national calls are charged extra.

It has saved me an absolute fortune over the years.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote:Sipgate VoIP Service Review
I have one of these..
That review mentions Windows, Android and Mac but not Linux - how do you use it? Are you using it in Wine?

Sylvander

#19 Post by Sylvander »

greengeek wrote:That review mentions Windows, Android and Mac but not Linux - how do you use it? Are you using it in Wine?
I happen to use Puppy most of the time, sometimes Windows [XP...not connected to the web], BUT...
The OS in use [on my desktop or whatever] is irrelevant.
The phone adapter connects direct to the router/hub by wire.
See this thread/post.
Apparently I used Win2000Pro [way back in 2012] to go on the web to make arrangements for it's setup and use.
However...
You'll see in the post below the one linked above that rerwin made sjphone-0.1.pet so that Puppy could be used to to the job.

SJ Phone VoIP softphone Setup
I hope the above details are correct; I'm now old and not so sharp, and have forgotten the details of how I did it.

OscarTalks

#20 Post by OscarTalks »

You can use any SIP account with any SIP phone. It can be a hardware adapter type or any softphone such as PSIP or Linphone.

I do have a hardware adapter but that is designed more to mimic a normal phone so does not easily do calls to SIP addresses. For this reason I prefer to always use a softphone. Linphone can be installed on Android so if you have WiFi you can use SIP VoIP from that as well as from Puppy.

Sipgate is a good provider because their SIP account gives call-out to phones at reasonable rates, plus the free geographical land-line number which you can give to people so they can phone you from any phone. Any credit on your account stays there until you use it (it doesn't get lost if unused at the end of the month). Account sign-up is free, Calls to others on Sipgate is free. My Sipgate number has effectively been my main "land-line" number for quite some time now.

Puppy PSIP has very good audio quality but does not do video and can only log in to one SIP provider at a time. For free calls to SIP addresses, Sipgate is not suitable. Best to use one of the many others for this. Iptel is good because the name is short and snappy. With Linphone I can be logged in to several SIP account providers at the same time, eg Sipgate for calls to phones and Iptel for calls to SIP addresses. Linphone also provide free SIP addresses, but they look a bit more clumsy eg sip:yourname@sip.linphone.org (extra "sip." prefix in the domain name).
Oscar in England