Beaker The browser for a decentralised internet

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
labbe5

Beaker The browser for a decentralised internet

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://beakerbrowser.com/docs/using-beaker/

Decentralising the internet is a way to bring more privacy to the Web and help secure the Web against hackers.

It stems from news that shaked the world years ago : that there was massive surveillance from governements and corporations. Edward Snowden was the catalyst to a series of change towards more privacy and security.

Beaker is a new kind of browser that gives you the power to create websites, share files, and control your data.

At the heart of Beaker is a peer-to-peer network for sharing all kinds of content.

Create a site, add the files, and send the URL to your recipient (e.g., using a chat program). It’s encrypted from end-to-end so that you have total privacy.

Of course, Beaker works great as a regular Web browser too. It’s built using Chromium, the Free and Open Source engine from Google Chrome.

64-bit AppImage : https://github.com/beakerbrowser/beaker ... 4.AppImage

mikeslr

Beaker doesn't complain about running as root

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi labbe5,

Nice find. :)

I haven't done anything with it yet, beyond downloading the AppImage, changing permissions to executable by anyone and starting the application. I expected to be confronted by a "Can't run as root", but wasn't. :shock:

It's based on Chromium 59.0.3071.115 and comes with the notice "Sorry! Beaker auto-updates are only supported on the production build for MacOS and Windows. You will need to build new versions of Beaker from source."

mikesLr

drunkjedi

#3 Post by drunkjedi »

Thanks labbe5,
Will see how it works in Fatdog.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

The main problem I see is that private and/or shared peer2peer websites are not searchable.

soniabu

#5 Post by soniabu »

while trying to find out if there was any info on Tor portable,
I came across this application (AppImage) but has someone deepened it or isn't it much use?
the search as a browser is something fast. The only thing that puzzles me is that the setting is a little poor.
will it be safe?
sonia