How to place an executable icon in the systray area?[SOLVED]

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
smokey01

#46 Post by smokey01 »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... =985608536

This should do what you want as well.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

smokey01 wrote:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... =985608536

This should do what you want as well.
Cheers for that, Grant. Nice to know we have plenty of options available. And to think all the elder 'guru' critics accuse Puppy of being a 'toy' distro..! (As if Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, et al, are all so bloody perfect..!!!) :roll: :shock: :lol:

I tell you one thing, mate; browsing many of the other Linux forums I belong to, you quickly realize one thing. Most of the mainstream distro's users are content to sit on their arses, bitch & moan loudly online, and wait for (and expect) someone else to write the software they want....

What do we do in Puppy? We get on with it, and write the software ourselves! Is it any wonder I love this community of ours..?

I think not. Pup rules, oh yes.... ♥ ♥ ♥ Image

Mike. :wink:

MochiMoppel

#48 Post by MochiMoppel »

Mike Walsh wrote:I apparently didn't read drunkjedi's post carefully enough: <snip> I thought this had to be written in 'Swallow' format
Good guess. Maybe you thought that for drunkjedi (look at his bottle!!) everything has to be in "swallow format" :wink:
Quick question: I know /etc/xdg/templates/_root_jwmrc generates /root/.jwmrc. Does anything 'generate' /root/.jwmrc-tray.....or will this stay as I've set it, i.e., will it get overwritten by anything?
puppy_apprentice already answered this. Only one additional thought: Judging from your video you already have customized your tray considerably. Particularly the fixed width items in your task list (right of the pager) look like buttons and in "normal" configurations would occupy whatever space is available in the tasklist. In your setup it leaves parts of the tasklist unused, which I find unusual and hard to set up manually without a good knowledge of JWM. So my guess is that you use a fronted GUI for your configurations (radky's excellent tools come to mind). If so then I see a chance that your right-sided TrayButton might not be recognized when you use such tool in the future. Such tools can never be as flexible as a manual edit and in my experience should either be used for all alterations or not at all. Mixing both methods can lead to unexpected results.

drunkjedi

#49 Post by drunkjedi »

MochiMoppel wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:I apparently didn't read drunkjedi's post carefully enough: <snip> I thought this had to be written in 'Swallow' format
Good guess. Maybe you thought that for drunkjedi (look at his bottle!!) everything has to be in "swallow format" :wink:
Ha ha ha, that's somewhat true, I am a occasional drinker but when I drink I "swallow" whatever drink my friends throw at me. :wink:
The name is actually a mix of Jakie Chain's "Drunken Master" and a know it all "Jedi", from all the google searches that's the only pic I liked.

Anyways I should have worded that sentence differently to put emphasis on what I had to say. But it was almost midnight and closing time at work, so had to fill up logbooks, reports. So typed it in hurry.
When I have time I will look at tray in fatdog too and add to this thread what I find.

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Mochi.
MochiMoppel wrote:So my guess is that you use a fronted GUI for your configurations (radky's excellent tools come to mind).
Spot-on, actually. I do use radky's PupControl; didn't find out till several days after I'd first installed it that it also included the JWM DeskManager. Brilliant tool. Far more intuitive, and easier to use than the normal JWM settings panel (Menu->Desktop->JWM configuration). But then I've always liked big, bold GUIs.

Never liked a lot of Windoze GUIs, 'cos they're always so cramped, and jammed-full of tiny type that's hard to read. (I don't mind using the command-line either nowadays.....but if I'm going to use a GUI, then I want to able to see it clearly...)

In many respects, modern Linux wins hands-down in this respect.

---------------------------------------------
MochiMoppel wrote:...I see a chance that your right-sided TrayButton might not be recognized when you use such tool in the future. Such tools can never be as flexible as a manual edit and in my experience should either be used for all alterations or not at all. Mixing both methods can lead to unexpected results.
Point taken. We shall see what happens when I next run JWMDesk.

Anyway, the TrayButton for my script has persisted through several re-boots so far. All things being equal, it'll remain there indefinitely.

Time will tell.

Mike. :wink: