Green-recorder screencast utility in Python

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
wiak

Green-recorder screencast utility in Python

#1 Post by wiak »

Tried green-recorder in XenialDog64. Worked fine - requires python2.x. I'm biased so prefer weX over all others since includes webcam support and more versatile overall, and just tiny since bash/gtkdialog/ffmpeg only. Still, each to their own.

https://github.com/foss-project/green-recorder

To install green-recorder on XenialDog just need to add the repository and install, here as root user, with:

Code: Select all

add-apt-repository ppa:fossproject/ppa
apt update
apt install green-recorder
I'm not sure of overall install size, a few MBytes on my system - certainly much less than Qt-using SSR, but weX dotpet is only 35kBytes (and size used to be an important quality in Pups).

If anyone wants green-recorder in Puppy someone would maybe have to make a dotpet, (or maybe the ppa can be added to PetGetManager Ubuntu-based repositories or with sc0ttman's package manager?) or just manually add the required python files.

Green-recorder does have an interesting/simple way of selecting screen capture area: it just draws a dummy window, which you can resize over the area you are interested in - but that does hide the background whilst doing it - wex scrox method shows what you are capturing...

wiak
Attachments
green-recorder.jpg
python2.x screencast grabber program
(19.48 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, wiak.

Interesting. I wasn't aware this had been ported to Linux.

I've used the Windoze version of this in the past in XP; it was really simple to use. I do recall that in the XP version, the 'dummy' window did show what you were trying to capture. 'Twould seem, in the transition to Linux, some functionality has been lost..?

I still prefer RecordMyDesktop. I made up two packages; one for those who already have Python installed (just installs the modules), and for those who don't, it installs Python 2.6 with all necessary bits as well.

Strikes me that making a .pet package for this would be a wee bit on the large side.....since, if it uses d-Bus to connect to the built-in screencasting tool within GNOME-shell, you would have to include GNOME-shell along with all its dependencies (and that is one huge chunk of software, when all's said and done. There appears to be somewhere around 130-odd dependencies in total, if you were building from scratch for a non-GNOME desktop.)

Looks very neat, but I suspect this is best left to the environment it appears to be specifically designed for.....

As you say, though; to each their own. Variety (and choice) is the 'spice of life', after all.

Mike. :wink: