Need Printer recommendations for basic functions

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
retry3

Need Printer recommendations for basic functions

#1 Post by retry3 »

I am running Tahr 6.0.6 on an older Lenova Desktop 4mb ram.

I am a senior with limited skills and always have had trouble installing things.

I need a basic printer to print B&W documents and letters at the minimum,

for light personal use.

Criteria: inexpensive, to buy and run
reliable
as easy as possible to install
simple to operate.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks,
retry3

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I need a basic printer to print B&W documents and letters at the minimum,
All printers can do this.

However, full featured color and B&W plus scanner are very common. almost the norm.

Any of the name brand printers should work.

If you are mainly going to do B&W printing.
What I would look for is a printer with separate color and black ink cartridges.
If it only has one ink cartridge. It is used for every kind of printing and gets used up quicker. Plus usually cost more than a black only cartridge.

Low price printer.
The last one I got was a all in one printer/scanner has color and black separate ink cartridges.
I got it from that well known big, very big, box store in the United States. You know the one.
The printer was priced less than a replacement ink cartridge for the printer I had. :shock:
Yes, the new printer did come with ink cartridges.

I just looked at their web site.
Printer all in one print/scanner for $19.99.
Yes, it comes with the ink.
The replacement ink cartridge cost more. That is where the printer money is made.
Replacement ink cartridges. :shock: :twisted: :evil:
Make the printer cost little, but when you need more ink. money, money, money!!!

Now, for easy install of a printer in Puppy.
Look at this topic and see what it is all about.

How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015
Each name brand printer has specific drivers and setup requirements, but not that hard if you follow and do what is needed.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

retry3

#3 Post by retry3 »

Thanks bigpup -

Your tip on the big box store was helpful, I am off for there today.

I had already read the thread on installing before I asked my question, but I will re-read a little more closely.

Since we know the ink cartridges are so expensive, I am looking for a thread that has tips on which printer best handles a generic alternative.

I appreciate that you keep helping even though some people never reply or thank you or the others.

Regards,
retry3

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

I don't have a printer.
But a friend was buying a printer, so we asked advice to corner netcafe owner.
He told us that he prints in bulk so his choice is different than what an occasional home printer needs. But he also told that price of printer is not to be compared, but cost of printing should. So go to go to nearby 3rd party ink cartridge refilling store and ask them which make of printer has cheap 3rd party refillable cartridges, which gives decent printing results.

I suggest you do the same if possible.

davids45

Epson printer

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day fellow senior retry3,

Epson printers are very good, well priced, and reliable (well built). Very importantly, there are drivers to run them with Linux.

The forum has many posts about setting them up and with .pet drivers that can be downloaded.

You will probably need to learn about CUPS to install any printer in Puppy (the wizard in the System menu is easy to use once you get the jargon sorted out, check it out with or without a printer) - again, plenty on the forum about this.

We have had several Epson printers (inkjet and laser) and have had few problems in setting them up on our home network. Our current multifunction Epson WF-2510 serves four oldish desktops (Puppies) and two laptops (something called Windows on one?). Scanning also works over the network in Puppy.

I expect you'll be plugging your printer in via its usb but current Epsons have wifi which enables them now to also print directly from a mobile (Android) phone once you download the Epson App to the phone.

My other 'plus' for Epsons is that generic ink cartridges for Epsons are among the cheapest - I pay about AU$8 per colour cartridge. Even the branded Epson cartridges are relatively cheap compared to other branded inks here in Oz.

Whatever you buy, ask the forum if/when you have any problem printing from Puppy. Be sure to say which Puppy you're using and which printer and how it's connected to your computer.

Good luck.

David S.

retry3

Thanks to drunkjedi & DavidS

#6 Post by retry3 »

@drunkjedi -
What a good idea! Thanks for the tip; I don't recall seeing a cartridge refiller place around here but am looking.

@ David -
Thanks for the Epson information and your other advice, much appreciated.

I guess what we are really looking for is the overall cost of running a printer and the initial price is only one factor.

Being a senior has it's drawbacks, but I know you will agree that it is better than the alternative, at least so far.

Regards,
retry3

LeithR

#7 Post by LeithR »

I too am a senior who has difficulty spending my hard earned pension.

I occasionally see usable printers coming up on Freecycle and have availed myself of these offers. Not sure where in Ohio you are based but if you google the link below you might come up with something useful for free.

https://www.freecycle.org/browse/us/ohio

Good luck with your quest!

matchpoint

#8 Post by matchpoint »

That's right Retry3, price is only one factor. This cat, probably Shakespeare and myself share the same viewpoint.

Mykol:
My dad has both an inkjet and a laser printer in his home office. He read a lot of laser printer reviews before deciding to purchase one. Yes they cost more, but for him the advantages were worth it.

He prints off brochures and materials for his small business and a laser printer ends up being more cost effective. The ink lasts longer and is much higher quality, not to mention it prints a lot faster than an inkjet printer. He uses his inkjet printer for personal copies that don't need to be of high quality, but uses the laser printer for most all of his business printing needs.
anon133517:
I used to have the same problem with the cartridges dying after months of inactivity (with more than one inkjet printer). Following the directions to revive them seemed to work only partially, and after much aggravation I would end up buying a new cartridge anyway, making the cost per sheet ridiculous!

About five years ago I got fed up with this and bought a color laser printer (Minolta Magicolor 2400W). I have been very happy with it, and it still works great. Due to not buying printer cartridges, I'm sure it has paid for itself several times over by now (in fact, I'm still using the original toner that came with it!).

So, besides buying laser printers for frequent use, I would also recommend them for very infrequent use as well.
http://www.wisegeek.org/should-i-buy-a- ... rinter.htm

Inkjet or Laser Printing: Which is more cost-effective?

Pros & Cons for Home Use: Inkjet vs. Laser

Doesn't sound like I'm trying to sway you, does it?

https://haydenjames.io/finding-linux-co ... -printers/ <<< "PASS" on those "Manufacturer-Specific Installations"

Above all, stick to the "Puppy specific" instructions Bigpup linked.

retry3

Thanks to Leith & matchpoint

#9 Post by retry3 »

LeithR

Thanks from one senior to another.

That tip on Freeecycle was interesting. I will pursue it further.

matchpoint -

Thanks for those links and advice; especially the cat.
I looked at each one and there is more than I can sort out right now. Looks like more research is in the cards.

Regards,
retry3

jrb

#10 Post by jrb »

matchpoint wrote:This cat
+1

After many dried up cartridges and one printer lost to dried on ink, I would never buy another inkjet. I bought a cheap Brother HP-1435 laserjet 18 years ago. Its on its second toner cartridge and its still printing.

Sadly :cry: , I have replaced it. My daughter and son-in-law run Win7 for their business and couldn't get drivers. Also it was never designed for Linux. After much trial and error, I got it to work with Cups 1.48 but it won't work reliably with anything later.

I replaced it with Brother HL-L2370DW which I got 1/3 off 2 weeks ago. As usual you can find it much cheaper in the states. Fully Linux supported. I have it installed in Tahr, Xenial, Artful puppies and DebianDog. Just click on this file .deb file and a usb install is done :D . If you need help setting it up on a network, there are lots of nice folks here who will help.

If I had read @Davids45 post before buying I might have looked at Epsons as well. Whatever you decide, make sure it is fully Linux compatible.

Cheers, J

retry3

#11 Post by retry3 »

Thanks for the input, jrb - Gives me more to think about.

Right now I am collecting info as to what is available in both laser and inkjet printers and how well they work with Linux. Really hard objective data is scarce and you have to go with what seems as close as possible.

I am counting on help from the generous forum members here, as you have suggested.

Regards,
retry3

matchpoint

#12 Post by matchpoint »

You've seen these, right? The second one here I use "Brother" as an example.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openpr ... abaseintro

https://www.openprinting.org/printers/m ... er/Brother

8Geee

#13 Post by 8Geee »

I also vote laser... ink > gold.
My own is an HP LaserJet P1102W about US$80-100 depending upon retailer.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

J_D_

#14 Post by J_D_ »

jrb wrote:
matchpoint wrote:This cat
+1

After many dried up cartridges and one printer lost to dried on ink, I would never buy another inkjet. I bought a cheap Brother HP-1435 laserjet 18 years ago. Its on its second toner cartridge and its still printing.

Sadly :cry: , I have replaced it. My daughter and son-in-law run Win7 for their business and couldn't get drivers. Also it was never designed for Linux. After much trial and error, I got it to work with Cups 1.48 but it won't work reliably with anything later.

I replaced it with Brother HL-L2370DW which I got 1/3 off 2 weeks ago. As usual you can find it much cheaper in the states. Fully Linux supported. I have it installed in Tahr, Xenial, Artful puppies and DebianDog. Just click on this file .deb file and a usb install is done :D . If you need help setting it up on a network, there are lots of nice folks here who will help.

If I had read @Davids45 post before buying I might have looked at Epsons as well. Whatever you decide, make sure it is fully Linux compatible.

Cheers, J
+1 for the Brother laser. I too got tired of buying ink cartridges. Less than $100 for a wireless printer, copier, fax,(never used the fax) the Brother can not be beat. I too am an old guy but got it going with help from guys on this forum. I later upgraded to 64 bit tahrpup and got it going on that myself.

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Same problems with inkjets and Brother lasers. Anybody want a free inkjet?! But, old HP inkjets generally work OK, if can get the extremely expensive genuine replacement cartridges and can tolerate the poor resolutions. For Linux, Epson is the one to avoid despite cheap replacement cartridges and superior output. Remember that the ink is more expensive than gold, w/w, and that the system purges a lot of it into the giant nappy (US: diaper) in the well underneath every time it's switched on.
HP lasers nearly always work ootb for many Linuxes and Samsung might do too using their all-in-one driver utility (but getting their scanner (for all-in-one machines) working can be trickier). We picked up an HP laser at a boot sale for £1, filthy but worked for > 1yr after cleaning, and another for £2 on which the paper auto-feed had been wrecked by someone poking blunt instrument(s) into the paper feed path - still working for manual feed of single sheets - tedious but cheap. Toner cartridges for lasers look expensive until you compare the quality, and relative price/page. There are U-tube videos of refilling your own - 50/50 rate of success in our experience, though. Biggest advantage of lasers is that it's a thermal process (toner(ink) is melted onto paper) and immune to spills of coffee, tea and raindrops...

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Sage wrote:Same problems with inkjets and Brother lasers. Anybody want a free inkjet?! But, old HP inkjets generally work OK, if can get the extremely expensive genuine replacement cartridges and can tolerate the poor resolutions. For Linux, Epson is the one to avoid despite cheap replacement cartridges and superior output. Remember that the ink is more expensive than gold, w/w, and that the system purges a lot of it into the giant nappy (US: diaper) in the well underneath every time it's switched on.
Hmm; I dunno.

I agree with ya about the giant nappy.....plus the need to periodically reset the 'counter' (which, if you don't, eventually reaches the point where it point-blank refuses to work until you take it to an 'Epson Service Centre' (hah!))

I've used Epsons for more years than I care to count; a wee bit 'agricultural', perhaps, compared to some, but they just keep on chugging along. Currently, I get my cartridges from Prink, here in the UK.....which works out around a quid per cartridge (especially when you buy in bulk).

(You'll not catch me buying their cartridges at full RRP in the high street retailers. £50 for 4 cartridges? You have to be joking; I'm not made of money!)

I use 'em just often enough to stop the heads clogging up with dried ink, and the ink quality, although not outstanding, is more than good enough for what I use it for. And they're one of the easiest brands to get going under Linux; I don't think I've ever had any major problems with 'em at all.

--------------------------------------------

@ retry3:-

I definitely concur with everything that David says about Epsons. They're solidly built, and keep going for ever. I have an elderly Epson dot-matrix printer from the late 80's that still runs; OK, the ribbons are hard to come by, although I've found a wee supplier here in the UK who seems to have bought out the entire stock from one of the big retailers that dumped 'em when inkjets took over. And Epson are one of the very few that still supply the older-style PPD files that such things invaraiably need.

They're a funny bunch, Epson. Publicly, their stance is that 'We don't do Linux'......but their downloads page on the website still caters for just about every model they ever made that once had a Linux driver produced for it. You just have to 'dig' a little; the drivers are definitely out there.

I can't recommend them highly enough. And if Epson themselves don't have a driver, a good place to try is openprinting.org.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

retry3

#17 Post by retry3 »

matchpoint wrote:You've seen these, right? The second one here I use "Brother" as an example.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openpr ... abaseintro

https://www.openprinting.org/printers/m ... er/Brother

No, sad to say, somehow I missed them, but I sure have spent a lot of time looking at them now. Many thanks.

So far it seems that almost all of the AIO printers listed are not available anymore from the major online sellers, at least in the $100 price range.

Also, trying to find reviews is extremely time consuming, as you no doubt know.

The personal recommendations and experiences of the forum members is the most valuable.

Still working at it.

Regards,
retry3

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

Brother have been supporting Linux for a long time now, so should be on your short list.

It may be worth considering a model that has a scanner built in too - that way you can use it as a photocopier aswell as being able to scan things like passports, travel documents, photos, etc etc

I can't recommend a specific model as I tend to buy older Brother models for $1 on ebay etc - but I imagine any modern Brother AIO laser will be suitable.

davids45

Any potential printer?

#19 Post by davids45 »

G'day retry3,

If you're not too rushed in getting a printer, perhaps you could post details of one (or more) that seem(s) to you to fit your particular bill, and then see if anyone has one or has tried one with Puppy (or other Linux)? Brand and model.

Concerns in feedback would include:
Price
Availability (to you in OH)
Warranty
Intensity of use (how often would you print stuff and how much when you do? Collating? Double-sided?)
Ink (inkjet) or toner (laser) - cost and supply convenience; inkjets need more frequent "feeding"; lasers are fed less frequently but with more expensive 'tucker'; how quickly does it run out of toner/ink?
Linux driver available? (From where?)
Noise in use (lasers can noisy)
Weight (lasers can be relatively heavy)
Networkable (for multiple computers/devices at your place)?
USB or Wifi connection?
Footprint - space needed and ease of paper feed
And anything else of particular importance to you or to the person who already has one of your "maybe printers".

Happy hunting.

David S.

retry3

Seach update & Thanks

#20 Post by retry3 »

Thanks,
8Geee
J_D_
Sage
Mike Walsh
greengeek
davids45

Still considering all the input that you have been generous to give.

Have just about decided on a Laser

leading contenders now:
Brother DCP-L2550DW all in one
& Brother HL-L2390DW all in one
subject to change based on further advice.

Anyone have experience with either of these, or any advice at all?

Regards,
retry3