How to compile the Sipe plugin for Pidgin Internet Messenger

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
pnbalaji

How to compile the Sipe plugin for Pidgin Internet Messenger

#1 Post by pnbalaji »

Hi All,

In this tutorial, I am planning to explain how to compile the sipe plugin for pidgin internet messenger.

Before we go too far, I will explain what is sipe. Sipe is an opensource plugin for pidgin which allows one to configure Microsoft office communicator server or Microsoft Live Communicator. My corporate work is uusing Microsoft Office Communicator for IM needs and hence I needed to use that some how in Linux.

More information about sipe is available under http://sipe.sf.net.

Before we get into the details, I will list the assumptions.

Assumptions:

1. Lucid Puppy 5.1 is used.
2. We are talking about the Puppy Full Install, not frugal install.
3. Internet is available, either wired or wireless.
4. Latest sipe plugin (version 1.01.1) is used.
5. Ubuntu Main Repository is available in Puppy Package Manager.

Requirements:

GCC is needed to compile sipe plugin.
libpurple module is needed to compile sipe plugin.

Procedure:

To compile the sipe plugin, the C/C++ compiler is a must. gcc is mostly used to compile the source. But, puppy has its own build module in the form of sfs package.

Go to the website
Download the package lupu_devx_511.sfs. You could also try lupu_devx_510.sfs.

The procedure to install the sfs package is little tedious for a novice user, so I would recommend the following way to install the package.

Open the page
and download the pet package sfsinstall-0.1.2.pet. Double clicking it will automatically install this pet in Puppy.

Once the sfs install is installed, navigate to the folder which contain the lupu_devx_511.sfs in file manager and right click the file. Under the "File 'lupu_devx_511.sfs", click on the install. This will install the complete development environment for Puppy.

Now, open the page
and download the latest sipe plugin into the default (/root) folder.

Now, open the puppy package manager and select ubuntu-lucid-main as the main repository. In the search box, type libpurple and click search button. Install the libpurple-devel package from the ubuntu repository.

Now, open the command window (urxvt) and type the following commands.

Code: Select all

cd /root
tar xvf pidgin-sipe*
cd pidgin-sipe*
./configure --prefix=/usr --without-krb5 (assuming krb5-devel package s not installed).
make
make install.
Now open the pidgin messenger and under the "Add accounts", you will see the "Office Communicator" entry.

Hope this helps some one.

Thanks,
Balaji.

OldCanuck

#2 Post by OldCanuck »

Changed this post, someone recently added a .pet I will try it.
Thanks