VLC 3.0.2

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

OK, so we have device discovery working but the primary immediate obstacle remains a TLS issue.

Looking into the configure script output I noticed (and hopefully fixed) a problem with gnutls. This is not obvious because there is no "WARNING" but just a simple "NO". Anyway, I have installed the dev files which were missing and re-compiled.

We do now have a main GNU TLS plugin which is built and included.
I wonder if this will make any difference?

I have also enabled:-
gstreamer (is this involved?)
libdsm (small library connected to samba I think)
libsecret

Packages re-uploaded for TESTING
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1
Attachments
vlc-TLS.jpg
GNU TLS showing in VLC advanced preferences
(44.66 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
Oscar in England

WiZard

vlc chromecast

#32 Post by WiZard »

@oscar
BINGO! the 4/19 version works. My movie is being sourced from a samba file server on another network, VLC is transcoding it on the fly into a chromecast compatible format and streaming it to the TV. CPU is running at 5-8% on old intel 1.2ghz dual core.

I started vlc from terminal and then used the gui to load & cast. Below is the output from the terminal, it complains about the cert, but then accepts a self-signed one. I'll do some extended testing tonight & let you know the result.

Gary

# vlc
VLC media player 3.0.1 Vetinari (revision 3.0.1-0-gec0f700fcc)
[03bba438] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[03c19940] main playlist: playlist is empty
[9fa49418] gnutls tls client error: Certificate verification failure: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate issuer is unknown. The name in the certificate does not match the expected.
[9fa49418] gnutls tls client: Accepting self-signed/untrusted CA certificate.

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ WiZard:-

Nice to hear you've got it working, Gary. Just out of curiosity, which Chromium-based browser did you eventually end up using for this?

@ Oscar:-

Does this have to be done with VLC.....or are there other media/players which would serve the same purpose? (Like SMPlayer, for instance. I kinda went 'off' VLC a while back, and prefer SMPlayer for most things now).

However, if I have to, I suppose I could be 'persuaded' to go back to VLC..!!

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#34 Post by OscarTalks »

@ Gary
Excellent news that it appears to be working.
When searching the web for clues the other day I did come across a "How To" which mentioned something about having to accept the cert.
Awaiting any further reports

@ Mike
My understanding now is that it does in fact work without the need for any Chromium browser

By the way, I tested my Iron 58 in Stretch today and it does not have the "Cast" menu item for some unknown reason, BUT my Iron 63 runs in Stretch out of the box and that does have "Cast" (if anyone wants to use the browser method). I am not sure if SRWare have produced a 32bit Iron 65, there is talk of them not having done so because of "a bug".

I believe SMplayer does require the browser so this makes the option of using VLC look a bit more attractive
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar:-
By the way, I tested my Iron 58 in Stretch today and it does not have the "Cast" menu item for some unknown reason, BUT my Iron 63 runs in Stretch out of the box and that does have "Cast" (if anyone wants to use the browser method).
Odd. The Iron 58 I have running in 'Chromepup' definitely has the 'Cast' option in the context menu. You do the same as me, I think? D/l the Iron tarballs.....not the .deb packages?

BTW; a question, if I may. Let me get this straight. I take it the 'Cast' option in the browser is for 'casting' streaming content you have running in the browser, yes? Whereas VLC could be used for 'casting' a 'local' video file?

Just want to test my understanding, y'know?

Mike. :wink:

hamoudoudou

SFS loaded on the fly Pupjibaro Stretch

#36 Post by hamoudoudou »

SFS loaded on the fly Pupjibaro Stretch . Two tries are succesfull.
MPV is installed on this Pupjibaro as default Mediaplayer. VLC loaded for feedback purpose only. Not tested deeper. Josejp2424 informed via Nilson Morales As soon as they post something in My facebook
Attachments
stretch.jpg
It works
(50.28 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times

OscarTalks

#37 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Mike,

I may need to re-visit my Iron 58 package situation as it is still quite useful for "middle aged" Puppies. I can't remember now if it was made from the tarball or the .deb

I am unsure of the practicalities of casting from a browser. I will leave it to someone who has the Chromecast device to give details. One thought that did cross my mind is that someone may wish to test SMplayer 18.3.0 in combination with Iron 63 as I have packages of those two programs which will run in Stretch Pup.
Oscar in England

WiZard

vlc

#38 Post by WiZard »

@oscar
streamed a full movie last night and tested the controls, all working. Also created an .mp3 audio playlist and cast them, no issues.

In the Win VLC version, when you play a .mp3, VLC will pull the album cover art from the internet and display it while the song plays. The linux version does not do this. I checked VLC version 2.10 & 2.15 and they do not display the art either. This is a minor thing and in no way affects casting, just thought I would note it.

I tested your Iron 63 and it had the same problem as VLC , no device is found.

@mike
As oscar noted VLC does not depend on the Chrome/Chromium browser for casting and I don't have one loaded on my test install.

I tested SMplayer and thought the casting was a little convoluted since you start the casting and it has to open Chrome/Chromium browser to actually cast. This also requires that Chrome/Chromium browser is your default browser.

Using a browser with casting built in lets you cast your desktop or internet content. There are also extensions that let you cast local content. Only problem there is the extension may not be able to transcode if necessary so the files won't play.

IMO the advantage of using VLC for casting is it ability to play almost any file format located anywhere. Video, audio, 3GP, ASF, AVI, DVR-MS, FLV, Matroska (MKV), MIDI, QuickTime File Format, MP4, Ogg, OGM, WAV, MPEG-2 (ES, PS, TS, PVA, MP3), AIFF, Raw audio, Raw DV, MXF, VOB, RM, DVD-Video, VCD, SVCD, CD Audio, DVB. If it can play then it can cast since VLC will transcode on the fly if necessary. In addition I think it has better play controls that most of the alternatives.

Gary

OscarTalks

#39 Post by OscarTalks »

My first test build of VLC 3.0.2 is now uploaded if anyone wants to give it a try.
Take precautions as always.
Compiled in Radky's Dpup Stretch in the same build environment as the previous version. Probably not suitable for other Puppies. I will leave the 3.0.1 package up for a while.
See first post.
Oscar in England

WiZard

VLC 3.0.2 chromecast test

#40 Post by WiZard »

HI Oscar
Did a quick test with dpup stretch 7.5 and .sfs version. Chromecast working fine with .mp4 video and .mp3 audio files.

Thanks
Gary

melon688

#41 Post by melon688 »

test base:
Laptop dell 1535 + miniPCI DVB-t card + Dpup Stretch 7.5(rc-3)

VLC 2.2.8 + DVB-t.xspf can watch DVB-T
(228.jpg)

VLC 3.0.1 + DVB-t.xspf , VLC 3.0.2 + DVB-t.xspf can't watch DVB-T

ERRORs message:
(301302.jpg)
Attachments
301302.jpg
(77.18 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
228.jpg
(64.87 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

MrDuckGuy

Re: VLC 3.0.2

#42 Post by MrDuckGuy »

OscarTalks wrote: ... released VLC 3.0.2
This new major version upgrade requires ffmpeg 3.x and Qt5
Dpup Stretch has ffmpeg 3.x ... - please test. ...
I downloaded the
SFS file lc-3.0.2-i686-stretch.sfs:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# vlc
VLC media player 3.0.2 Vetinari (revision 3.0.2-0-gd7b653cf14)
[016474b0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the
default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

[016ef5b0] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate dialogs provider
Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
[016a9160] main playlist: playlist is empty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I think I am doing something wrong.

As always, thanks in advance. - Kelikaku B'H.
Attachments
2019-03-31-08-55-Screenshot.png
Screenshot of output from Terminal. B'H.
(30.89 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

OscarTalks

#43 Post by OscarTalks »

Are you testing in Dpup Stretch or some other Puppy?
I wouldn't expect both the default "native" Qt5 interface AND the skins2 interface to be attempting to fire up at the same time.

In the preferences, one of the first options is to choose between one or the other, "native" or "skin".

If you are trying to use some third party skin it may be old and incompatible.
If VLC was working and you tried to change some settings and now it doesn't launch, try deleting the config and start afresh.
rm -rf /root/.config/vlc

If I switch to the skins interface (from the native Qt5 interface) it loads the default skin and all works OK for me here, although I prefer the Qt5 one anyway.
Attachments
vlc-skins2.jpg
Included default skin if you switch from native to skins interface in preferences
(35.05 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Oscar in England