Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 20 Sep 2018, 20:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Mobile phone most dangerous, weaponized device today
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb 2018, 17:50    Post subject:  Mobile phone most dangerous, weaponized device today  

Interesting article, where they are just articulating what we all---all us modern day phone users, Android and/or Apple---are & have been thinking:

http://www.atimes.com/article/mobile-apps-smartphones-pose-clear-present-danger/

".....Iran has posted apps found on Google’s Play Store which give the Iranians the ability to easily spy on anyone who downloads them to their smartphone. Some say these are “weaponized” smartphone apps.....................................................

.....America is very slow to wake up to the danger and other countries are equally insensitive to the risks. This past week, the FBI, CIA and NSA gave another warning about certain Chinese smartphones made by Huawei and ZTE........

........Worse still, industry is relying on what it calls “Open SSL” for cryptography, in other words, relying on encryption coming from unknown sources for security.............
"
slowride

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018, 18:37    Post subject:  Excellent find  

The material you referenced is unquestionably worthy of at least a Thank you.

These "Magical Wavelengths" and cost free global short-wave communication have existed decades before these evil little "GiZMO" things evolved... Decades before towers replaced trees...

One of the most inclusively open liberties still existing in my broken nation was an FCC operator's license. Anyone with sufficient tenacity to master simple electrical knowlege and skills to pass the EXAM could obtain one.

Comparative equipment costs were damn near equal to that of the new "handys" --- should one pay the full retail cost of one unencumbered with finance fees Rolling Eyes

I'm sure with patience I could eventually pass the exam again. I've not tried why?

Rumage around youtube... "I've seen enough, dont want to see anymore" ca late 1970's.
Moat

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 22:56    Post subject:  

I actually feel such dangers as described in the article are absolutely trivial in comparison to the real, active, overwhelming and ongoing danger that smartphones/phablets/internet in general, impose; the insidious, commercially and often malevolently-driven effects (purposefully taking advantage of inherent human behavioral/psychological "flaws") that the media provided by these devices has on our very mindset/consciousness/perceptions of reality/etc.

They are literally facilitating the effective destruction of our ability to think, perceive and act in rational, balanced ways.

Masses of the world population are - unknowingly - losing our minds. And these devices and the finely-focused, deliberately engineered methods in which they deliver information are exactly the reason why (via addictive dopamine triggering and immediacy of interaction, etc.).

I've had the instinctual notion this was happening all along, just by observing (often surprising, unpredictable and negative) changes in the behavior of people around me as the use of smartphones (and social media, especially) has expanded over the past few years. Now, a cursory Google search will reveal numerous, significant studies confirming the undeniable damage being done (a recent MIT study of Twitter being an example). It's frightening, and right up there with nuclear proliferation, terrorism/war, ecology/pollution/environmental issues, overpopulation, etc. - as of the most important difficulties/issues/challenges facing mankind, IMO.

E.g.; Add social media and computer gaming to that list.

And keep kids off of the damned things!! They're absolutely ruining 'em, at the most critical developmental period of their lives - destroying their (and our very own) future - their ability to face and overcome the normal challenges faced in the real world! Crying or Very sad No different than giving kids crack to keep them occupied... Mad

Bob
smartphone_growth.jpg
 Description   Smartphone growth...
 Filesize   32.59 KB
 Viewed   184 Time(s)

smartphone_growth.jpg

OpioidDeathsByTypeUS.jpg
 Description   Coincidence?
 Filesize   90.66 KB
 Viewed   183 Time(s)

OpioidDeathsByTypeUS.jpg

8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2018, 12:52    Post subject:  

This is not new to me, though it still is very enlightening.
At least someone else has found the drug addict (dopamine/serotinin) philosophy in these cruel devices.
Thanks Moat for posting the non-trivial coincidence of smartphone vs. opioid/heroin addiction rates. I could not find such charts but knew that addiction rates in the news were alarmingly similar to smartphone/"device" growth.

There is a counter-culture movement in China already that sells "basic phones" for kids (using 2G). "Don't keep your head down", and "keep children focused on learning" are major catch-phrases being used. There is hope, and we need to instill this philosopy here.

If I were to sum it up simply...
This is a phone.
That is a computer.
Don't mix the two.

For instance at aliexpress dot com search for "aiek" and read some of the sales pitches.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Moat

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2018, 18:03    Post subject:  

8Geee wrote:
"Don't keep your head down", and "keep children focused on learning" are major catch-phrases being used.

And that hints at the real problem, as I see it.

It may not be so much the inherent addictive nature of the devices per se, as it is to children who have spent such a great deal of their formative years immersed in the "virtual world" who then grow into adults with a severely stunted lack of the basic functional facilities and balanced, realistic perceptions and knowledge needed to deal with this "real world" - finding purpose, developing interests and skills that will provide them with the essential tools they need to get on with life/work/responsibility/success, etc.

Then, combine those above challenges with them having experienced years of that hourly smartphone dopamine/serotonin "hit". Yikes.

So many, when faced with the responsibilities/challenges of adulthood, end up lost, confused, disheartened, disillusioned... and feeling utterly hopeless. And out of that hopeless desperation, they're turning to drugs as an "escape" from those pressures. That could very well explain the significant rise in opioid/drug use among the middle-American (often rural) middle-class... masses of kids raised in these otherwise supportive, relatively privileged environments with all of the resources available to be successful in life - yet ending up despondent and lost as adults...? This should not be happening.

Funny theory, that... address the "opioid crisis"? OK - get a handle on smartphone use, then.

Might sound a bit far-fetched, but I do feel there's a far more than casual relationship going on here. A lot of current finger-pointing at pharmaceutical companies and over-prescription by doctors (certainly valid considerations), but I have a notion the above reasoning is just as valid (if not more so), and deserving of some real attention.

Bob
slowride

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2018, 21:59    Post subject:  Now... About MATERIAL !design
Subject description: RANT ALERT... hit a nerve... moderator, do you job, I'll not make a peep

The news about the Chinese... WOW.
thank you

The spirit of those people, or anyone like them, for only that reason have I not bagged my head before suckin' off my old .357

There's a graphic image I hide sometimes behind, like a tattered (but damn effective) banner, as the ghouls and haints eventually hound me to the dreaded landmine's and trenches of sleep

a silent, nameless kid stands straight and motionless before a line of advancing tanks...

We see only a barely past puberty (with courgage beyond eternal) individual's BACK. why attach female or male, when all we see is willing to certainly die standing in hope that possibly someone, somewhere will see... there is good
------------------------------------

So How 'bout "Material !Design" or... GTK3? Aint that some kinda Feast for Starving Eyes?

From the species that evolved the first hominid scratching a figure onto cave the wall? What works of art were washed away when it rained, or rotted with the trees they were carved into! The beauty eclipsed what some shivering thing could scratch into the stone, with great effort... The figure on the cave is no reflection of the minds behind it... For all we know, the poor bastards were shivering in the cave bereft of the cunning to shelter or clothe themselves OUTDOORS

From the cultures that created cathedrals, Where went the "Golden Ratio"'? even Picasso's Genre is more comfort, bears more content ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL HAIL THE EMPOROR IN HIS NEW WARDROBE
--------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF??

CHEAP SQUARES OF CARDBOARD IN PRIMARY COLORS??
What horror awaits anyone who dares a 15 degree angle? I suspect the execution of the heretic vandal who'd deploy such a terrorist weapon as the freehand curve

Mayan Preists, Druid Shaman, were they forced to witness the entiretly of that "Passion" not even the most cruel maniac could keep from retching his guts dry, and helplessly retch still, till dropping of exhaustion

Big Banal Print in short, spartan, sentences?

In small doses, like bad fashion, sure fine wear yer ghetto britches... (an eyesore to me, personally, ) People wear them because they feel good doing so. This pleases them. Aint no business of mine why, it's NOT my HAPPY and how dare ANYONE go messing with harmless happy...

Should one find it an eyesore, turn your head, right?

Go somewhere else see other sorts of clothes that don't look so ridiculous. At least a different FLAVOR of ridiculous... Face it folks some fashion, even to me, -- damn -- now that's some kinda fine-a$s righteous ... elegant...

Go even elsewhere outdoors maybe? dont forget the hand sanitizer! and view people wearing clothing that's comfortable and practical for the TASK they are DOING... God FORBID. Homo Sapiens? Opposable Digits? TOOLS?

Surely such miscreants are up to no good....

TERRORISTS!! PEDOPHILES!!

QUICKLY - ALERT MATERIAL !DESIGN ENFORCERS

THE WHOLE (ENGLISH IMPEDED) WORLD IS HOLDIN ITS DAMN PANTS UP... FLAUNTING OUR BOXERS FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE... (I'm the only paleface in an otherwise african-american congregation, no, I never "got" what IS the thing with the Prison-Knickers) AND THERE IS ONLY ONE FLAVOR AND NO WHIPPED CREAM, OR CHERRY ON TOP

AND ITS IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME NO MATTER {ANY ENGLISH LIMITTED HOSTAGE} LOOKS ON ANY INTERNET CONNECTED SCREEN -- INESCAPABLE!

This is NOT advertising RELATED... In this continent, there is ONE HUGELY OBVIOUS EXCEPTION... In US, there's HUGE "billboards" at least 6M x36M in size... NEVER, not once on the hundreds seen on major roadways with any traffic is this material !Design seen. Many of these are digital, and change their gaudy, but at last "Living and enticing" images...

Hmmm... Somthing funny afoot ehhh? (What's the condition in other countries?)

And not one solitary soul, save a few obscure bloggers, says OUCH even. Ever wonder, why such deafening silence? FEAR OF NEVER APPEARING AT ALL on the GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE... It's not the only Guilty Search Provider... Just the one the other's are Competing by COPYING? Hello... Where's the innovation

In most industrial natrions there are laws about painting of graffiti on such things as railcars, etc

I've worked with young persons who've had tragic experiences imprisoned for self expression. HOW the everlovin hell can you make a railyard in the ghetto any UGLIER?

NOTE: during ongoing recovery from stroke, I've attempted working from home as a "Paid Algorithm Beta Tester" for 3 major search providers. One being Google. Micro$ausage wasn't so direct, farmed it out to contractors. Seeing I was failing utterly at probationary excercises, I found the bulletin boards privy only to workers ... Looking for how they other guys were getting on... WHAT I SAW THERE WAS SCARY
==============================
==============================

GTK3 is an insult on a whole different order.

Make me understand. What, reduced GNU to this level of un-usuable, ugly, RUBBAGE? IT IS NOT BROKEN - WHY FIX IT POORLY, IF AT ALL?

A useless hamburger thingy where a MENU is supposed to be? (most often on the WRONG corner of the screen) What's next? Pull a tampon string to exract the options menu? Options and preferences deeply hidden in a maze of config files, not in simple C or bash but all too often -- almost imparseable .json

I recently discovered only 4 a DISTRO in LINUX (barring those who've succumbed to this idiocy of systemd) that's not ate up with this hideous (and damn near impossible to USE) GTK3 shit, save Puppy... I still aint even close to able to install it -- YET.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Want another funny? Of the whole internet, Guess which sites are least material !Design affected? Those using RTL languages guys! Oh those maiming head hunting cannibal terrorists!! heathens!! Natually inclusive of Oriental countries by default. Their blogs, even alibaba (I was using other less conspicuous sources, they are either cleaner) .. (Unless poor dumbass american, can only speak one language, for being DUMB-ucated in schools that no longer teach kids to write at all) you get shunted to the english version Shocked
I think not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------
guess which country begat The !Beauty of Material !Design, taking then entire (english limitted) internet hostage?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
LAND OF THE THIEVES AND THE HOME OF THE SLAVES.

F___ the .357 I'm just waiting for a big media event, like the tank parade, find my spot AND STAND

Moat

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 19:04    Post subject:  

Exactly.
8Geee

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 19:35    Post subject:  

I love my old netbook... grandfather of a dumbassphone. Tossed the box, windows and high electric bill, got smaller and greener, saved about $20 a month on wattage. And its good enuff for my limited stuff.

Write a coherent letter, play a subversive movie, listen to musical genres, and edit them. Maybe even patch a mistake or 10. It still functions well,and can adopt to changes adeptly.

BRING ON DEM TANKS!

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: