wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST

daxdog

#91 Post by daxdog »

I am using a Dell M1330 laptop with an Intel 4965AGN wireless nic. It is not recognized by Puppy. I downloaded the Windows driver from Dell and tried it in Puppy using the wrapper. I will keep on trying, but I am not too hopeful.

tempestuous

#92 Post by tempestuous »

If you had done a forum search for "4965" you would see that there is now a native Linux driver for the Intel4965 wifi device, and this will be included in the upcoming Puppy 4.1 release.

can8v

#93 Post by can8v »

The usable data from the first three pages of this thread have now been added to the Puppy WiFi Assistant in addition to the test data from my own collection of WiFi adapaters and those of a couple of volunteers who have been testing for me. I hope to have the rest added by the end of this weekend.
can8v

can8v

#94 Post by can8v »

kyroc wrote:The Belkin USB wireless adapter model FSD7050 works quite well in Puppy 3.01
What version and revision of this card are you using and did you use a native linux driver or NDISwrapper with a windows driver. I am asking because I cannot reproduce your results. I would like to add this card to the Puppy WiFi Assistant, but you didn't supply enough information and even though I have one of these cards I have not been able to get it working. My guess is that you have a different version or revision, but even if you do I would like the data, so I could add it to the Puppy WiFi assistant.
Thanks,
can8v

Jeffreytooker

#95 Post by Jeffreytooker »

can8v wrote:
kyroc wrote:The Belkin USB wireless adapter model FSD7050 works quite well in Puppy 3.01
I am in Puppy 4.0 and my FSD7050 is giving me a lot of trouble. It is of the 4000 series. I have downloaded the latest Windows driver from Belkin for the 4000. How do I get the driver from My Docs into the Network Wizard? I am not very command line literate. Wizard says setup is successful but I can not get to Google.

TIA

Jeffrey Tooker

East of Red Bluff Ca.

tempestuous

#96 Post by tempestuous »

Apparently the F5D7050 v4 (not "FSD7050) has a recent version of the Zydas ZD1211 chipset, which is not properly supported by the zd1211rw driver in Puppy 3.x and 4.0.

But the vendor-supplied zd1211b driver should work. Get it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 745#145745

After installing zd1211+b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet do this -

Code: Select all

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211b
Now you should be able to configure your wifi network with the Network Wizard.
This will be a far more elegant solution than resorting to ndiswrapper.

The soon-to-be-released Puppy 4.1 will have a modern kernel with upgraded zd1211rw driver. Hopefully this will work with the F5D7050 v4 without needing to install anything else.

tommy

Unknown cheap usb wifi dongle w/chip ATHEROS AR5523

#97 Post by tommy »

Hello you all, my sister bought a second hand laptop and the seller gave her for free a second hand no-name no-brand usb wifi dongle (and its windows drivers CD). Since it's an Atheros AR5523 chip dongle, Puppy doesn't support it natively. I tried to ndiswrapper every driver I found on the net for Ar5523 usb dongles with no chance. Then I tried to install the windows drivers of Windows install Cd on a Windows XP PC, I copied the files named:
ar5523.bin
ar5523.sys
athfmwdl.inf
athfmwdl.sys
net5523.inf
Then booted Puppy 2.16, inserted the no-brand Atheros dongle and:
ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf
ndiswrapper -i net5523.inf (this gave me a lot of errors but it installed)
modprobe ndiswrapper

and the wifi dongle led lit up.
Then I could see wlan0 in Puppy connect wizard.
I configured it with my essid etc, and now I am on the net posting with it. I don't know if it's a copyright infringement, but if you own an Atheros usb dongle, try these drivers I zipped here:

www.webalice.it/ncontine1/ATHEROS.zip

The dongle runs well, but my wifi net is without encryption. It's very hot to the touch, but it works well.
To be specific: usb wifi dongle vendor id: 0d8e product id: 7801 rev 0.01
EDITED: after lot of search on the web it turned out to be a Encore Electronics ENUWI-SG 802.11G USB dongle, I've never heard this brand, I think it's a cheapo as well....
Last edited by tommy on Sat 21 Jun 2008, 19:12, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffreytooker

#98 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:Apparently the F5D7050 v4 (not "FSD7050) has a recent version of the Zydas ZD1211 chipset, which is not properly supported by the zd1211rw driver in Puppy 3.x and 4.0.

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211b

The soon-to-be-released Puppy 4.1 will have a modern kernel with upgraded zd1211rw driver. Hopefully this will work with the F5D7050 v4 without needing to install anything else.

Will work on this today. Thank you for the help. Do code lines need a code front like sudo in Ubuntu? I have not done command line in Puppy. I am having to load new driver on main computer to CD then into old Puppy computer. How do I get the new driver into the network wizard? While trying to set up Wifi adapter previously, I found that the MAC code in the wizard is not the same as the one on my Wifi unit.

Thx.

Jeffrey

can8v

#99 Post by can8v »

@tempestuous
Thanks again for the straightforward and easy to follow instructions. I was able to add the Belkin F5D7050 v4 to the Puppy WiFi assistant for Puppy 301 and 400. If anyone has success using this method with other Puppies please feel free to document it in the Puppy WiFi wizard, as well.

To All,
I have completely entered in all of the known working WiFi adapaters that I could find in this thread into the Puppy WiFi Assistant. Plus I have added all of those in my personal collection and a few of you have voluntarily added a few of your own. I know there are likely a dozen or so more scattered across the several other threads on the forum, which I will try to locate. If any of you have a working WiFi adapter that you don't see in the Puppy WiFi Assistant, please fee free to add it.
Kind regards,
can8v

Jeffreytooker

#100 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:Apparently the F5D7050 v4 (not "FSD7050) has a recent version of the Zydas ZD1211 chipset, which is not properly supported by the zd1211rw driver in Puppy 3.x and 4.0.

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211b

the soon-to-be-released Puppy 4.1 will have a modern kernel with

upgraded zd1211rw driver. Hopefully this will work with the F5D7050 v4 without needing to install anything else.

Tempestuous:

I downloaded the new driver, put it on CD took to it my Puppy computer. Took the driver file from the CD and put it into a subfile of My Documents. I clicked on it and hit install. Checked on it again and screen said it was installed. When I click th driver in the subfile it just blinks twice. I take it this means that it is installed in the subfile? If this is true then I do not know how to install the driver where it is supposed to go. I checked in the drivers menu of the network wizard and the new file is not there. One of the things I like about Puppy is that it is (supposed to be) GUI oriented, well not today. :lol:

We had thunderstorms and lightining fires here today. We are sitting on an evacuation order which will be suspended tonight. Thank heaven. My phone and DSL are out now so I am typing this in a text editor for cut and paste.

I have tried to find file structure for Puppy so I can find out where to put the new driver so it ends up in the network wizard, but no luck so far. Is Puppy file structure the same as Linux? My testing in the network wizard says I have a live connection to my modem.

Jeffrey

tempestuous

#101 Post by tempestuous »

Well I can provide you with a modification which will display the new driver (zd1211b) in the Network Wizard, but it's really not necessary. Instead of following that convoluted rumination process you just described, just run the two simple commands I listed and the new driver will be loaded, ready to configure with the Wizard. Assuming the new driver works, save the configuration and you're done.
Linux sometimes requires some commandline input to troubleshoot problems or, as in this case, achieve non-standard procedures. Linux is not Windows, and it owes no apology for not having a gui for every process.
One big advantage of the commandline is that if there are any errors, you will see them. This is particularly relevant in your case since you are trying a driver which may, or may not, be compatible. If "modprobe zd1211b" reports no errors, you're in good shape. If it does report errors, at least you know that the driver is at fault, and not encryption or DHCP, for example.
Jeffreytooker wrote:When I click the driver in the subfile it just blinks twice. I take it this means that it is installed in the subfile? If this is true then I do not know how to install the driver where it is supposed to go.
Any responsible developer creates dotpets which install to the correct locations. The notion that you would need to shift anything is silly, but if you want to know where the new driver is, it's at /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/zd1211b.ko

Jeffreytooker

#102 Post by Jeffreytooker »

"tempestuous":

I will address the issues in the order you have them listed here.

<<<
tempestuous wrote:Well I can provide you with a modification which will display the new driver (zd1211b) in the Network Wizard, but it's really not necessary. >>>

Agreed

<<<Instead of following that convoluted rumination process you just described, just run the two simple commands I listed and the new driver will be loaded, ready to configure with the Wizard.>>>

The link you gave me yields zd1121%2Bb-2-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7pet not zd1211+b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet

<<< Assuming the new driver works, save the configuration and you're done.
Linux sometimes requires some commandline input to troubleshoot problems or, as in this case, achieve non-standard procedures.>>>

More about this later

<<< Linux is not Windows, and it owes no apology for not having a gui for every process.>>>

I agree with the above. I only made the comment about the GUI as an aside. Please notice smiley face. I was only refered to the advanced section of this list by a moderator. This question started out in Beginner list. I am very much a beginner.

<<<One big advantage of the commandline is that if there are any errors, you will see them. This is particularly relevant in your case since you are trying a driver which may, or may not, be compatible. If "modprobe zd1211b" reports no errors, you're in good shape. If it does report errors, at least you know that the driver is at fault, and not encryption or DHCP, for example.>>>

Agreed
Jeffreytooker wrote:When I click the driver in the subfile it just blinks twice. I take it this means that it is installed in the subfile? If this is true then I do not know how to install the driver where it is supposed to go.
Any responsible developer creates dotpets which install to the correct locations. The notion that you would need to shift anything is silly, >>>

I have learned something.

but if want to know where the new driver is it is at: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/zd1211b.ko >>>

I executed your commands. Code: rmmod zd1211rw enter returns to command prompt no errors. Code: modprobe zd1211b enter yields: FATAL module zd1211b not found

Went to /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/zd1211b.ko I found no zd modules

Jeffrey

tempestuous

#103 Post by tempestuous »

Thanks to your accurate reporting I was prompted to investigate further and discover that the forum's server has corrupted the filename of the zd1211b dotpet attachment, and thus the dotpet fails to install, with an error message as the attached image shows.
Problem now fixed -
Attachments
dotpet-failure.jpg
(49.42 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

Jeffreytooker

#104 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:Thanks to your accurate reporting I was prompted to investigate further and discover that the forum's server has corrupted the filename of the zd1211b dotpet attachment, and thus the dotpet fails to install, with an error message as the attached image shows.
Problem now fixed -
"tempestuous":

I have downloaded the new module (thank you) to my desktop and copied it to my USB stick. I have installed in my Puppy computer IAW this procedure: http://tillamookrage.blogspot.com/2008/ ... puppy.html I ended with the paragraph under figure 6. I made a subfolder of My Documents called Belkin 5070 4X Drivers. The new module is in that file now. When I left clicked once on the module it blinked twice and did no more. I executed both commands. code rmmod zd1211rw yielded command prompt. Code modprobe yielded FATAL: module zd1211b not found. Went to /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/zd1211b.ko. It is not there. It seems to not be installing. Is my procedure wrong?

Jeffrey

tempestuous

#105 Post by tempestuous »

I just did a fresh boot to a liveCD and the zd1211b dotpet installs fine.
Jeffreytooker wrote:I made a subfolder of My Documents called Belkin 5070 4X Drivers
There's your problem! Don't use blank spaces in Linux filesystems.
Easier still, you can install the dotpet directly from the USB drive, it's not necessary to copy the dotpet anywhere else ... but of course, the dotpet must not be in a sub-folder on the USB drive with spaces.

ken_cat

#106 Post by ken_cat »

Works.

D-Link WNA-1330 Wireless G Notebook Adapter, H/W Ver. : A1, F/W Ver. : 1.10.

Tested in a Toshiba Tecra750DVD. Bios setup important.

Puppy version 4.00 on LiveCD.

For trials and tribulations encountered see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30559

Will automatically load ath_pci on boot.

Network Wizard only seems to work after performing wpa_supplicant.conf modification and commandline setup for WPA/PSK.

Using Motorola WR850G router.

Jeffreytooker

#107 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:I just did a fresh boot to a liveCD and the zd1211b dotpet installs fine.
Jeffreytooker wrote:I made a subfolder of My Documents called Belkin 5070 4X Drivers
There's your problem! Don't use blank spaces in Linux filesystems.
Easier still, you can install the dotpet directly from the USB drive, it's not necessary to copy the dotpet anywhere else ... but of course, the dotpet must not be in a sub-folder on the USB drive with spaces.
tempestuous:

Tested as directed above. Still no joy. I took Puppy 4.0 disk to main computer and ran same stuff, also no joy. The problem is not pressing. The only common item is the live disk. I will send for one by mail that I know is good. Then I will go back to testing. Will research commands and loading of programs. May take a couple of weeks but I will keep you informed. With the fires power and DSL were out for about 24 hrs.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

can8v

#108 Post by can8v »

tempestuous wrote:The recent official Zydas "vendor" wifi driver from http://zd1211.wiki.sourceforge.net/VendorDriver
apparently supports some newer Zydas-based wifi devices not supported by Puppy 3.00's zd1211rw driver.
I now attach this package. It contains two different modules; zd1211 and zd1211b. If you have a recent Zydas chipset it's more likely to be supported by the zd1211b module.
After installing the dotpet, you will need to unload the standard module, and load the new one, like this -

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211b
Now you can use the Network Wizard to configure your wifi connection.

UPDATE June 23 2008:
Apparently this forum doesn't like attachments with "+" in the filename, and this attachment became renamed to "zd1211%2Bb-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet" - which corrupts the installation of the dotpet!
After 350 downloads, why did no one report this problem?
Dotpet has now been repackaged with different filename.
tempestuous,
I have installed this "new" version of the dot pet, but the end result is not a zd1211.k0 and zd1211b.ko, instead I get only a zd1201.ko see the screen shot.
Kind regards,
can8v

Jeffreytooker,
If the dot pet installed you should also have the same file shown in the screen shot and it should appear in the network wizard if you click on load module. You might try loading it just for grins.

Jeffreytooker

#109 Post by Jeffreytooker »

UPDATE June 23 2008:
Apparently this forum doesn't like attachments with "+" in the filename, and this attachment became renamed to "zd1211%2Bb-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet" - which corrupts the installation of the dotpet!
After 350 downloads, why did no one report this problem?
Dotpet has now been repackaged with different filename.[/quote]
tempestuous,
I have installed this "new" version of the dot pet, but the end result is not a zd1211.k0 and zd1211b.ko, instead I get only a zd1201.ko see the screen shot.
Kind regards,
can8v

can8v:

In a previous post "tempestuous" stated path to file as: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/zd1211b.ko. You screenshot states: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless(allthumbs) Why the different paths to the module? I will try loading this evening, but I am not hopeful. Will keep all informed.

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker,
If the dot pet installed you should also have the same file shown in the screen shot and it should appear in the network wizard if you click on load module. You might try loading it just for grins.[/quote]

can8v

#110 Post by can8v »

@Jeffreytooker
I cannot say with absolute certainty why tempestuous gave you a different path than I did for the location of the driver; my best guess is that he was typing the path from memory and forgot to include part of the directory tree in the path. While tempestuous is the foremost Puppy WiFi expert, he is human. I have never to my knowlege had my WiFi drivers in the directory that he mentions, in fact I don't even recall seeing that directory before, though the path is very similar to the path for the directory that stores my WiFi drivers.
In my mind the bigger concern is that I ended up with a zd2101.ko driver rather than a zd1211b.ko driver. At any rate it is possible that this could work for you. When I installed the pet package it installed the zd1201.ko just as I described and from then on I could see it in the load module section of the network wizard.